“Lovely place to stay and tasty food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Pilgrim Inn

The Pilgrim Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Marchwood B&B and Inns
Gosport, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay and tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I recently looked for somewhere to take my girlfriend to spoil her for a short weekend. I only live 30 miles or so away from this place but wanted to go somewhere where we wouldn't have to travel far yet would feel like we were far enough away from home. The Pilgrim Inn looked very nice and the rooms well presented. There were plenty of good reviews so I thought this would be the perfect place to go. I booked a superior room which cost £150 for one night including breakfast. This would normally be too expensive for a normal night away for us but I wanted to make it special for my girlfriend. I contacted them by email to secure the best room I could and was advised we would be given the largest superior room with a four poster bed.

Upon arrival, my girlfriend was very impressed with the thatched buildings of both the pub and the hotel. We checked in and were given a flask of fresh milk and shown to our room. The room was exactly as I had seen in the pictures and immediately impressed me and my girlfriend. There were bath robes and slippers (although a bit small for both my size 12 and my girlfriends size 9 feet!), there was a cafetiere for the coffee and an assortment of tea bags. There were also some nice biscuits and chocolates. The room was very spacious and nicely decorated. With the four poster bed and the posh bathroom, this room definitely gave us the luxury feel that we wanted.

We decided to eat in the pub that evening and enjoyed some fantastic food. It may be more expensive than most pubs but this is a 5 star Inn so should therefore serve food to match. We both agreed that the cost was not relevant once we had tasted the excellently presented food. My girlfriend enjoyed a nice bottle of Rose whilst I enjoyed my favorite tipple...Fullers London Pride!

In the morning, the breakfast was again very tasty. There was a good selection of fruit and cereal together with a good choice of hot food. We both opted for the cooked breakfast and again our taste buds were not disappointed.

Looking at a previous review, I do feel sorry for the locals as they have lost a rather quaint pub which has now become a posh hotel and restaurant. Unfortunately, these days pub owners have to concentrate more on food and accommodation rather than drinks in order to survive.
I think the Pilgrim Inn is definitely a 4/5 star establishment and would both stay there again and recommend.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Daveb_1971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Burleigh Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

We got the 4 poster suite and just a stunning room! Spacious, deliciously decorated and comfortable! Plunger coffee, lovely chocolates, fresh milk. The pub and reception is across from the rooms and good car park. Lovely wooded area on the brink of the New Forest. Up the road is village of Hythe on the water. Beaulieu is about 12 miles away and is one of many stunning villages around this part of the country. We paid £120 a night and I think for that special night with your lovee, this is just Yum! Other hotels around the area were well over £380 for two nights.

• Stayed April 2012
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I have read some good reviews below, but as a local who has used this pub many times over the years (and the photo is of the pub, not the hotel) I'm pretty apalled at the new establishment and I'm afraid I felt the need to add my review. Two guys owned the pub for years and no matter when you went there it was always packed, the food was always excellent pub grub from as little as £5 for a super meal. I took a visiting friend there a few months ago and we weren't at all impressed by our over-priced meals, and from memory they were charging something like £12 for a burger. The place was also nearly empty and I've never ever seen it like that. Maybe the hotel is ok, but well done Fullers for dragging a lovely local pub down to a very mundane level...I felt embarrased that I'd taken my friend there and certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone now...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

This pub is only a short distance off the main 'A' road between the National Motor Museum and Southampton/Motorways and was found merely by following the useful brown roads signs off the 'A' road.
Looking at the pub from the outside it looks special with lovely English thatch and very well maintained garden including lawn.
Whilst there is a smat dining area we settled for the pub food from the bar and specials blackboard.
There were delicious children's portions of fish, chips and peas for the children which was presented beautifully with a Fullers brewery paper sail so appearing like a ship on the plate !
The homemade pie was delicious with nice crisp but not burnt pastry.
We also order a couple of side orders including bread with garlic and vinegar - all very nice and tasty.
This was all washed down with Fullers beers including the London Pride.

Inside the pub there are some traditional old English objects on display adding character.
The bar staff were pleasant and attentative.

I would definitly go back there again when on a day trip to the New Forest.
Quite fancy trying out their dining when the children aren't in tow !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Essex england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Booked late so had to swap rooms for sat night which the staff did with no fuss. Both rooms where good but the bath room in room 12 was hugh. We agree with other reviews, it was the detail that made the stay. We were concerned when we arrived that we were close to a road , but could not hear it in the rooms. The Staff were helpful, the free fruit and sweets in reception were a nice touch. Not a moan but could do with instant coffee sachets as to make a pot of coffee felt wasteful. We ate in the pub both nights and had a good meal both nights, book a table early as it is a busy pub but staff fitted us in. Breakfeast was good. We would stay again .

Room Tip: Room 12 brilliant and big enough two relaxing chairs,and roll over bath and walk in shower. Room 11...