“one of my BEST meals. High Class City meets countryside retreat.”
Review of Doot Doot Doot

Doot Doot Doot
Price range: USD 65 - USD 103
Description: Jackalope Hotel's daring dining experience, Doot Doot Doot, offers contemporary, upscale dining. In the spirit of the on-site winery's single vineyard heritage, Doot Doot Doot's dishes are designed to offer a faithful expression of site, with a menu that draws on seasonal offerings from the hotel's kitchen garden and select Mornington Peninsula producers. Diners have the choice of ordering four dishes a la carte or opting for an eight-course set menu spread, all with the option of matched Willow Creek and international wines. Jackalope Hotels' Executive Chef, Guy Stanaway, adds, "the tasting menu offers a respect for the feast, contrasted by a disrespect for the familiar. Time-honoured techniques meet culinary curiosity, in dishes that are methodical yet explorative and designed to evoke a unique sense of place." Doot Doot Doot expands on the hotel's narrative, alchemy, and has been designed to reflect the alchemistic phase of fermentation. An eight-by-ten metre lighting installation by Melbourne-based chandelier designer, Jan Flook, sets the tone with a 10,000 lamp chandelier that creates the surreal sensation of fermenting wine bubbling above.
Reviewed 9 October 2017

the four of us 2 couples booked in the degustation at DDD on Grand Final night. it was booked solid and we arrived for the 8:30pm seating. (all that was available). I was most impressed by the Staff and the food.
Staff, every staff member smiled. This meant a lot and didn't matter if it was a general manager or not they all assisted equally towards making us feel comfortable. they shared their experiences. they didn't make us feel rushed in any way. they all knew their products and food. which when you are having 8 courses that you had to memorise all 8 courses in order. with us finishing around 12am due to the 8 courses and being the last ones to leave. they staff knew their wines to which helped a lot.
The food.
I am not a food critic. but the food was amazing. each dish was prepared well. looking delicious and tasted the same as well. I could taste the freshness in the garden beans tat tasted as they were straight from the garden outside. the dishes were well portioned and just enough to fill me for 15 minutes before we continued to talk and laugh before the next one.
The decor is a photo opportunity with all the glasses hanging from the roof. every body was taking photos of the ceiling. the lights in the ceiling glowed tighter every now and again. it was a full experience.
the restaurant was warm and cosy. I have heard they change the menu during each year which I feel is a positive for me as I like the food but love when a place changes it to become different.

overall. one of the best I have been to in ages.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary we had the 8 course degustation menu. We are both allergic to shellfish so they adjusted the menu accordingly. The service was great and the food amazing. I would highly recommend. Lots of local fresh produce. The staff were so professional without being overbearing. Will definitely go again.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We have eaten at the rare hare and really enjoyed ourselves.... but our experience at doot was terrible. They made us pay upfront $155 - all 40 of us (which included food and wine).
Canapés = 1 oyster and 2 tofu thingys.
The service was terrible- the waiter rude
I was drinking wine - I would have wait up to 30 mins for my glass to be filled. I would then have to go to another room to ask for my glass to be filled - this happened 3 times! I had 4 glasses of wine all up. The waiter told us that he was making sure we were responsible drinkers.
I had the prawn for entree- over cooked. Salmon for main - over cooked. Desert - very bland.
After the event we went to the bar where they had no problem taking our money for drinks - but a bar person raised her eyes when asked a Question...
Terrible experience!

jackalopehotels, General Manager at Doot Doot Doot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

For those who have clicked on this to see what the fuss was about, we would like to refer you to a review from the person whose birthday Rob was attending.

Further, we never charged individual guests for this event.

"Had a wonderful day at Jackalope on Sunday, staff were great, food delicious, (the salmon dish was amazing and the beef perfectly cooked, chips were absolutely amazing and I polished off an entire tomato side salad on my own because it was just too stunning to leave a morsel behind!) Rare Hare wine highly praised by all, 30 people, lots of requests to handle, Emily was an absolute delight to deal with in the lead up, with many varying changes and Jan polite, flexible, professional and a lovely chap to oversee the day (which I might add included audio/visuals/and an impromptu dance! All dealt with in a happy and kind manner) We had a room upgrade and one of the best breakfast experiences I've ever had at Doot Doot Doot the next morning - food choice/quality/flavours/happy helpful staff - excellent and faultless. All in all a beautiful family and friend experience, many thanks to Emily, Jan and staff, many thanks to the chef, family and friends for giving us such a beautiful and memorable experience in a superb location."

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is absolutely amazing. The food was first class with every dish beautifully presented. Hard to single anything out but the spanner crab, tuna and beef rivalled anything we've eaten at hatted restaurants in Melbourne. The setting was something special and different, very relaxed.
Service from the staff, was friendly, relaxed and knowledgable, well done to all.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Our booking at Doot Doot Doot was part of our weekend package deal at Jackalope which included the tasting menu at the restaurant . We dined on a Sunday night and the restaurant was busy but the tables were nicely spaced and we did not feel like everyone had been packed in to maximise the number of paying guests. The surroundings were elegant and modern without being over the top with the very impressive chandelier being a standout feature.The kitchen was open to the guests' view and the chefs worked calmly in a very non-Gordon Ramsay manner. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly without being intrusive or asking every minute how everything was. It was a professional but relaxed atmosphere.

The 8 course tasting menu was delicious and the hotel has its own garden where they pick the produce used in their menu. I learned for the first time that there are 2 different coloured beetroots available which was the basis of the soup course, and it was delicious (see photo) as were the pumpkin balls (which were substituted for the sweetbread dish) which followed the soup The tasting menu is a great way to sample this restaurant. The menu will change depending on what’s seasonally available and I’ve attached a photo of the menu for those who are interested . The other aspect of this tasting menu was that we chose the accompanying wine option . The wines were varied and ones I was mostly unfamiliar with. ( also included photos of the labels for the wine enthusiasts) The fact that we were staying at the hotel meant that we were only a short walk to our rooms and did not have to drive home. I have to acknowledge Ollie who was the sommelier. His knowledge and enthusiasm about the wines enhanced the total experience for us both. Can recommend Doot Doot Doot without hesitation.

1  Thank rl_1949