“Simply put... Awesome!”

Rookin House Activity Centre
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Troutbeck
More attraction details
Owner description: Established for over 20 years Rookin House has an amazing range of activities at competitive prices.We can offer activities for individuals, families and large groups including stag& hen and corporate.We are situated half way between Keswick and Penrith (9miles from each) and 4 miles from Ullswater.The mountain range of Blencathra provides a stunning back drop for the centre.Activities include Horse Riding, Pony Trekking, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Air Rifles, Archery, Indoor Karting, Human Bowling, Zip Wire, Assault Course, Argo Cat Off Road Experience, Dakar 4 X 4 and a Stalwart Army Truck.Pre-booking advisable.
Reviewed 29 October 2018 via mobile

I visited Rookin House with three friends on Saturday the 27th of October to do quad-biking, clay pigeon shooting & the argo tank thingy and have to say that both the staff and the facilities were brilliant!

We did the quad-biking first with a friendly, polite and humorous young fellow who showed us all of the safety rules before taking us on an assault course, through streams, round a wood and along a forest track for a good 45mins which was beltin'! He was very courteous throughout and often checked everyone was happy. Good work!

Next we did the clay pigeon with an older gentlemen with a great sense of humour. Again, we were briefed about the safety of handling guns and that we had to take it seriously, etc., but he also had a good bit craic with us and made us feel very welcome indeed! Bravo!

Finally, we did the argo amphibious assault vehicle type thing which involves holding on for dear life whilst a lunatic drives you up and down cliffs and through rivers at mach 2. Awesome! He was less talkative, but very polite and friendly nonetheless.

Finally, I'd to thank the Mother and Daughter for all of their help, kindness, friendly chatter and for making us feel so welcome! It's lovely to feel looked after and we did, very much so! Thank you.

(Oh also, the new building is brilliant! My last visit was perhaps 4-5 years ago and it wasn't there then, it's great!)

Date of experience: October 2018
rookinhouse_13, Owner at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2018

What an amazing review, thank you so much for taking the time to review your day with is. It is fantastic to hear you had a great activity day, perhaps we will see you all in another 4yrs or so.

All reviews
in 17 reviews
"outdoor activities"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited this place to go horse riding. My dad rung up and was asked ROUGHLY what weight we were so we could ride. Never was it mentioned that if we didn’t get the correct weight we would be in risk of losing our money. My dad wasn’t sure and said roughly 12 as you can see on his post.
Once we got there we told the member of staff that we was there for horse riding, she looked at me and straight away asked me to get on the scales. There WAS other people there although she says there wasn’t. I was so embarrassed as I have been insecure about my weight since having my first baby 5 months ago. She then went on to tell me I weighed to much to ride. I have been horse riding before and have never been told this. I knew my boyfriend really wanted to so I asked if he was able to and she weighed him and wasn’t polite at all. She then said never of us could ride so we kindly asked for our money back, she said no we can’t have our money back as there is a no refund policy. We do not have £60 to waste on nothing with a 5 month old I’m sure you could imagine. She did tell us we could do something else but the staff seemed very unpleasent and disinterested in there job and it felt a very hostile atmosphere. We again asked for a refund as we was not told on the phone that there was no refund policy. It took about 20 minutes until she said yes. As my boyfriend went to get my card out of the car she then tried to make conversation with me but it felt very forced. Thankfully the rest of our trip wasn’t ruined due to the politeness and kindness of the other staff in other places at the Lake District, sadly just not this one.

1  Thank emilynear99
rookinhouse_13, Manager at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

I am very sorry you feel this way. It is so awful when you have to address people about personal issues but we do make it very clear at the time of the booking that we need riders details including their heights, weights and experience. We don't expect people not to even try and be fairly accurate. I waited till the other people and staff were as far away as possible before asking you if I can check your weight. It is something I hate doing but I will not risk the welfare of the horses if I feel someone is not what they have told us in either i size or ability. These questions are specifically asked for the welfare of the horses and the riders. I will apologise if I upset you as that was not my intention but there is no easy way to ask some one if we can check their weight.

Reviewed 22 October 2018

We went rookin house a while back and had a decent time so when my daughter and her bf where having a break in the lakes we didn't hesitate to recommend Rookin house to them for a horse riding taster session.

We rang them on the phone to enquire and they took their details and asked how much they weighed, I said roughly 12.5 stone. Nothing more said. They took card payment to secure the booking (no mention of this being non-refundable).

When they got there they (this is incredible) weighed my daughter and her bf in front of the other customers and told them they were too heavy for the horses that had been readied, that they couldn't ride and weren't getting their money back!!! My daughter has just had her first child, and has put a bit of weight on and found this humiliating to say the least. They said they either picked another activity or would just have to leave. My daughter lost her leg in a horrific accident last year and sadly could not do many of the other activities on offer.

They eventually gave in and returned there money but not before both my daughter and her bf had been embarrassed in front of the other customers.

I was absolutely gobsmacked by this. The woman they dealt with abrupt and quite rude and thought nothing of shaming them in front of the other customers.

Fortunately it did not spoil their weekend but needless to say none of us will be using their facilities again.

If weight is so important then please highlight this at the time of booking. If prior payments are not refundable then please highlight this at time of booking.

There are many activity centres around the lakes, anyone thinking of booking i'd consider going elsewhere.

Date of experience: October 2018

That is not what happened, you rang and advised me that they were roughly 12st, I asked you to check what there maximum weight was as it doesn't matter if they ended up being a bit lighter for the horse but would matter if they were too heavy. You then advised they would be a maximum of 121/2st. I then booked them in after talking to the boyfriend. On arrival I realised that they were not suited to the horses I had tacked up but thought we may manage a different horse but needed to weigh your daughter to check. Once other customers and staff were out of the way I kindly asked if your daughter minded getting on the scales as realised she was not what was in the diary but obviously didn't know how heavy. I was not rude. I was very apologetic and offered another activity. I was un aware of Emily's lost leg as this was never mentioned at time of booking or on arrival. I was obviously very embarrassed to be put in this position but I will not apologise for looking after the welfare of the horses. I was asked if I could still take the boyfriend and I kindly said I didn't think I would have an appropriate horse for him but your daughter asked me to weigh him to check. Unfortunately they were both 37% heavier than what I was told the maximum weight was. I thought I made it as clear as I possibly could that we needed the heaviest they could possibly be. I asked them if there was anything else they would like to do and explained that they had booked a member of staff and horses which is why our normal booking terms applied. They did not want to do anything else and then demanded their money back. I said I would refund on this occasion as it was very unfortunate but did hi-light to them both why we had the booking terms in place. I also then suggested they could go to Aira-force waterfalls so that they could enjoy the rest of the afternoon and not have a wasted trip. Your daughter did not try and embarrass me in front of anyone and I didn't try to embarrass either of them in front of anyone either. I was absolutely mortified that I had to tell them they couldn't ride and this is why we are so careful at checking riders weights at the time of booking. I am so pleased it did not spoil their weekend.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Booked as a birthday treat as I'd always said I wanted to do this. Once gun was in my hand I froze, but the owner was fantastic, reassuring and clear in his instructions. I did quite well considering and left thinking I would like to do it again. The centre is a fantastic diverse offering of activities: quads, horses, archery to say the least and would be great for group days out. The weather was awful but that didn't stop the enjoyment of us or others that were there. There is investment in the premises going on and we wish the owner best of luck.