Open today: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Review Highlights
Amazing ride!

Absolutely fantastic morning out for a Trek with Tracey. I rode Achilles and he was such a... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Xxjade90xx
via mobile
Horse riding in the Lakes

My wife visited this centre with two family members for an hours trekking. Well organised and well... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Kevin W
Oldbury, United Kingdom

All reviews clay pigeon shooting go karting quad biking great fun rookin house assault course pony trek argo cat self catering hen do off roading great morning different activities explained everything staff were lovely lake district outdoor activities
Reviewed 22 October 2018

We went rookin house a while back and had a decent time so when my daughter and her bf where having a break in the lakes we didn't hesitate to recommend Rookin house to them for a horse riding taster session.

We rang them on the phone to enquire and they took their details and asked how much they weighed, I said roughly 12.5 stone. Nothing more said. They took card payment to secure the booking (no mention of this being non-refundable).

When they got there they (this is incredible) weighed my daughter and her bf in front of the other customers and told them they were too heavy for the horses that had been readied, that they couldn't ride and weren't getting their money back!!! My daughter has just had her first child, and has put a bit of weight on and found this humiliating to say the least. They said they either picked another activity or would just have to leave. My daughter lost her leg in a horrific accident last year and sadly could not do many of the other activities on offer.

They eventually gave in and returned there money but not before both my daughter and her bf had been embarrassed in front of the other customers.

I was absolutely gobsmacked by this. The woman they dealt with abrupt and quite rude and thought nothing of shaming them in front of the other customers.

Fortunately it did not spoil their weekend but needless to say none of us will be using their facilities again.

If weight is so important then please highlight this at the time of booking. If prior payments are not refundable then please highlight this at time of booking.

There are many activity centres around the lakes, anyone thinking of booking i'd consider going elsewhere.

Date of experience: October 2018
rookinhouse_13, Manager at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2018

That is not what happened, you rang and advised me that they were roughly 12st, I asked you to check what there maximum weight was as it doesn't matter if they ended up being a bit lighter for the horse but would matter if they were too heavy. You then advised they would be a maximum of 121/2st. I then booked them in after talking to the boyfriend. On arrival I realised that they were not suited to the horses I had tacked up but thought we may manage a different horse but needed to weigh your daughter to check. Once other customers and staff were out of the way I kindly asked if your daughter minded getting on the scales as realised she was not what was in the diary but obviously didn't know how heavy. I was not rude. I was very apologetic and offered another activity. I was un aware of Emily's lost leg as this was never mentioned at time of booking or on arrival. I was obviously very embarrassed to be put in this position but I will not apologise for looking after the welfare of the horses. I was asked if I could still take the boyfriend and I kindly said I didn't think I would have an appropriate horse for him but your daughter asked me to weigh him to check. Unfortunately they were both 37% heavier than what I was told the maximum weight was. I thought I made it as clear as I possibly could that we needed the heaviest they could possibly be. I asked them if there was anything else they would like to do and explained that they had booked a member of staff and horses which is why our normal booking terms applied. They did not want to do anything else and then demanded their money back. I said I would refund on this occasion as it was very unfortunate but did hi-light to them both why we had the booking terms in place. I also then suggested they could go to Aira-force waterfalls so that they could enjoy the rest of the afternoon and not have a wasted trip. Your daughter did not try and embarrass me in front of anyone and I didn't try to embarrass either of them in front of anyone either. I was absolutely mortified that I had to tell them they couldn't ride and this is why we are so careful at checking riders weights at the time of booking. I am so pleased it did not spoil their weekend.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Booked as a birthday treat as I'd always said I wanted to do this. Once gun was in my hand I froze, but the owner was fantastic, reassuring and clear in his instructions. I did quite well considering and left thinking I would like to do it again. The centre is a fantastic diverse offering of activities: quads, horses, archery to say the least and would be great for group days out. The weather was awful but that didn't stop the enjoyment of us or others that were there. There is investment in the premises going on and we wish the owner best of luck.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

4 of us came on Saturday to have a day clay pigeon shooting. Allister looked after us from Start to finish. we had such a great day and have already planned our next visit

Date of experience: October 2018
rookinhouse_13, Manager at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

We are so glad you had a great time, thank you for your review

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

Two sets of couples away for a kid free weekend in the Lakes!! We had looked into and booked rifle shooting and escorted quad trek!
We quickly built up a rapport with our host James, his knowledge and instructions to us on rifling was on point. He knew his stuff and he was able to guide us easily to make us feel we were quite able - the team challenge he set up for us was also really fun and we all had a good laugh.
Next we moved onto the quads - we were all previously experienced in these but another couple who had joined (6 people per treck) had a newbie and were difficult characters but James made an effort to
Reassure us that we could do something else if we preferred - we decided to stay with the treck and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Rookin - we will return!!

Date of experience: September 2018
Reviewed 21 September 2018

Have been going for years and years. Never fails to be great. Whole bunch of different things to do. Go-karting in the huge stables with the floor sprayed to make it a bit skiddy is brilliant fun. Only possible let down is the quads that have health and safety limitations so are rather tame (much more fun 20 years ago when the rules were different) though the kids like the mini ones. Great for large or small groups, and is also an excellent and sizeable equestrian centre for individual lessons etc. Staff are lovely and highly experienced. Oh and it is often mucky (though you'll be kitted out in the right gear) - if that's not your thing then you may not enjoy it so much.

Date of experience: September 2018
rookinhouse_13, General Manager at Rookin House Activity Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Thanks for your kind review, hopefully you will be coming for a few more years to come :)