Open today: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Meeting after Seven Years

On the first day of business after more than one year we have the luck to be the right first... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
sabinex2013
Innsbruck, Austria
via mobile
Great dive Tour

Ypsylon Diving, I have o Word Ypsylon is Great dive center, Am Recommend This, "Excellent diving... read more

Reviewed 9 February 2020
110blastb
Inje-gun, South Korea

All reviews these guys great dive centre fish marvin team equipment diving creatures safety visibility
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 December 2017

After I met a very charming Instructor working there I decided to go for 2 fun dives at Ypsylon Diving located in the area of Nilaveli Beach Hotel. Unfortunately he had no time to go with me but he promised me that I can go diving alone with the divemaster for a special price, he will arrange it for me. I should come there the following day at 8 AM.

As I arrived in the morning, nobody was there. The guy at the entrance told me, he will wake up (!) the Divemaster who was sleeping in a small room next to the school. After 15 minutes I asked him which time we will go. He said we have to wait for 3 other people, but I should get a tea, because the others come round 9 AM. I was angry, but tried to understand. Then he handed me out the, just let's say "used" equipment. After I checked the stuff, which looked still technically ok I noticed that the LPI hose had lots of cracks from bending and it suddenly blew up like a balloon. I complained about this because of obvious reasons. Within minutes I got a new first stage. But as I was checking the new one, I noticed air blowing out between first stage and tank. I complained again and the Divemaster did some "fix" screwing it very hard on. Even if I had a bad feeling about the equip, we started the briefing. It was short but okay. We went all together to the boat and drove to the dive sites.
The reef we headed on inside Pigeon Island was below average. I did more then 10 dives before with another dive school so I know how good reefs round Nilaveli looks like. Visibility 7 meters.
After a few minutes diving I noticed bubbles coming out between tank and first stage, so the "fix" was bad.
The surface time between the dives was on Pigeon Island where we had the chance to go snorkeling. Very good to see some black tip reef sharks.
For the second dive we went to another place. Visibilty 4-6 meters, also a bad condition of the reef.
One of our group had troubles with buoncy and was a little bit in panic. The divemaster didn't care so we had to. He was always ahead the group, watching sometimes back and it seemed, that he just wanted to finish the dive.
After comeing back to the school he suddenly disapeared. Another guy came for the bill which suddenly was 3000 LKR more then promised (Yes I knew about entrance fee for Pigeon Island). I refused paying the difference which was okay in the end, but charged the money after all the other divers were gone. The stamp and signature for the log book was given to me after asking again the Divemaster in his room while he was eating.

So in the end I paid more money for less diving in comparison to other schools round Nilaveli and due to the condition of the equipment I would not recommend diving there.
Maybe I just had bad luck at this day, but expecting safe dives with good equipment should be without asking and asking again.

Stay safe and compare the different providers!

2  Thank Luke_Fluke
Reviewed 1 October 2017

We stayed at the Anilana Hotel at Nilaveli Beach for 5 days and than ran into the Ypsylon Divers at the Nilaveli Beach Hotel close by. In September, end of the season in the east of Sri Lanka, we discovered that some of the diving schools didn't even provide instructors any more. We also compared prices (390 $ for the open water paid here) and talked to some of the schools and decided for the guys from Ypsylon.
They speak English and German, everyone is relaxed, the equipment is new and well taken care of. My husband is an Advanced diver and did my four dives for the open water together with me and my instructor. Me, as the student, was more than lucky to have my instructor all to myself.
Nuwan, newly certified instructor, was the best start to diving I could imagine.
He was sweet, funny, caring, strict with the skills, training and rules, and he really knew what he was doing diving the Sri Lankan sea since 20 years.
If you ever read this, Nuwan, all my love to you! I really enjoyed every minute.
The dives around Pigeon Island (one of two marine national parks of Sri Lanka, 10 minutes boat ride from the Nilaveli beach) were amazing, we saw turtles, sharks, trigger fish, endless living corals, and so on…. All dives close to the island are as already mentioned, not that beautiful. The island is totally crowded during the season (April to October) and the corals close to the beaches of the island unfortunately suffered due to tourism.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

my wife and I took a discovery class in scuba diving off pigeon island which included snorkeling. ww had no experience whatsoever but the guys were very professional. the prices were ok, the best we found actually. overall, a great experience.

Date of experience: August 2017
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Whilst visiting Sri Lanka I dived with Ypsylon on two dives. Both off Pigeon Island.

I had taken none of my own equipment so had to hire the whole lot. Everything was up to date and in good condition. The tanks were all virtually brand new and aluminium. The centre is PADI and offers all the courses etc but does not offer enriched air.

My divemaster was Pany. He is young and very knowledgable and willing to make a dive very special. He was my dive buddy and it was just us on the dives.

I was keen to see Black Tip Reef Sharks and Pany did not disappoint me. He took me to a spot of the Reef where we came nose to nose with four circling, adult Black Tip Reef Sharks. Amazing. We got some great footage.

The rest of the dives were fabulous and delivered turtle, cuttlefish, nudibranch, spiny lobsters, squid, barracuda, pufferfish and all the Reef fish imaginable. The only disappointing thing was that my buddy decided to wake a sleeping blue spotted ray who was well hidden under the sand to show me. I would prefer all creatures to be just seen and not disturbed or hassled.

I would seriously recommend Ypsylon to any diver visiting Sri Lanka's east coast.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I hadn't dived in a while so did a quick refresher in the pool which really helped and got me comfortable with diving again. The instructor was really great and took the time to take us through all the info really clearly. I felt really comfortable and had a lot of fun.
The actual dive was so much fun! The staff are all so friendly and professional and up for a laugh.
We did one dive just off Pigeon Island which was awesome and then did snorkelling around the pigeon island reef. So much to see! highly recommend going for a dive or snorkel with these guys. I saw reef sharks for the first time, so many beautiful fish and turtles!

Date of experience: July 2017