All reviews outback spirit remote place inviting pool arnhem land petrol station northern territory housekeeping staff continental breakfast hotel room stay there again business trip good size town beach mold crocs bedding supermarket
Reviewed 12 April 2018

I wish I could write a separate review for the Walkabout Restaurant because the food was amazing. However same cannot be said for the accommodation it was clean and the bed was comfortable but that's about it. Extremely basic rooms considering the price you pay for a room (I have paid less for a five star hotel) old boxie aircon that rattled all night, four TV channels, threadbare face towels and an overpowering smell of damp and mold . Most people visit Gove for all the amazing outdoor activities but that's not to say that one should expect to pay top dollar for a two star hotel. Breakfast which is included in the price is also basic and very ho hum but the shining star at the Walkabout Lodge is definitely the Restaurant and the staff. I was there for a conference and we had 15 people for dinner at the Walkabout and each person raved about their meals.

In summary I found the staff (bar staff, reception staff, waiting staff, cleaners) really helpful and friendly, restaurant was fabulous, rooms are way overpriced for what they are and the breakfast is a touch on the lack luster side. I always visit the Walkabout when I visit Nhulunbuy because it has a great vibe but I will not be paying big bucks to stay there again.

Room tip: Upstairs rooms are better as you can open your doors at night.
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
WalkaboutLodge, Manager at Walkabout Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Thank you for notifying us of the issues you had with your recent stay at the Walkabout Lodge. We strive to provide you with the best possible service, and when you feel that it fails to meet your expectations, it’s important for us to know.

We’re sorry that your room was not of the standard that it normally is and that prompted you to write this review and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that this experience has caused you. To ensure that our rooms are of a manner that reflects our standards I have notified the proper department of your review to investigate and fix the issues that you have highlighted.

We are very pleased that you and the group that you were with enjoyed the restaurant, meals and service that you received there. I will also pass these comments onto our Head Chef and Restaurant Manager to pass onto their teams.

Your patronage is important to us, and we hope that you’ll continue to give us opportunities to serve you.
Thank you again for bringing these matters to our attention.

Matthew

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Don't expect too much. Rooms basic, food basic, service friendly by majority of staff - not all. Rooms not serviced on weekends it seems unless you specifically request. But the options in this part of the world are few.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
WalkaboutLodge, Public Relations Manager at Walkabout Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Hi Danny we thank you for your rating and comments.
We are sorry that feel our rooms and food is basic here at the Walkabout. I am not sure why your room was not serviced as as our housekeeping staff do daily services to the rooms.

I have spoken to the department managers who have put in place an amended checklist to check that all rooms have been serviced and if not a reason why.

Once again I am sorry that your experience here may have been below our usual standard.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

I like the Walkabout Hotel, it's a pretty decent place to stay but hesitated around giving it 4 stars due to the fact that the TV was busted and the room smelt of mold. Remember this is in a rather remote part of the country. Enjoyed my stay there again this time, love the Gove Peninsula and the opportunity to be with Yolngu people in their country. I've always found the staff here really friendly and also appreciate the continental breakfast. Would definitely give 4 stars if either the TV didn't work or the room smelt moldy but not with both of those together at the same time. ;) Look forward to my next visit.

Date of stay: November 2017
1  Thank Davidfnt
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Had 2 nights up in Gods country
The hotel has the same owners as the tavern next door
Provides good meals and is close to supermarket pub butcher and other dining
Nice clean rooms , not huge but ample with small fridge and new bathroom
Beds are good air con works well but noisy
Nice clean pool with dining area next to and tropical gardens
Staff polite and efficient

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Yianni1
Reviewed 30 October 2017

I wasn't sure what to expect as Nhulunbuy is along way from most places. Clean and tidy, though a little dated and the bedspreads might need a rethink or replacement. But it's welcoming, near a supermarket and a beach (watch for crocs though).
The attached restaurant served a more than adequate breakfast included and the evening meals were well priced and generous.

Room tip: avoid the western facing rooms as the afternoon sun is very hot
Date of stay: October 2017
1  Thank LizzieSmiles
WalkaboutLodge, Manager at Walkabout Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you LizzieSmiles for your review & we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.