“Top quality food, service and friendly”
Review of Le Canard Gourmand

Le Canard Gourmand
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Farnham
Price range: USD 15 - USD 37
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

A classy restaurant well decorated and located in an historical building in the Farnham downtown. The owners obviously love their restaurant when you see the level of details. This restaurant has been open for 7 years. The menu options aren't numerous but have also more seasonal / off menu options. Anyway better to have a more limited menu option and get quality which is what it turned out to. A vegetarian option would be welcome however and enable them to catch this trend. The duck magret was perfect and excellent. The owner / waiter gave me good advice on local organic wines. I followed her lead and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wine. I also asked her for advice on cycling routes on the local Wine Route. Again she obliged and made excellent suggestions. The co-owner who works in kitchen came out at the end of the evening and offert additional bike route suggestions. Where in Montreal would you get that quality food and drinks AND with very friendly / helpful attitudes? Only about 60km from Montreal? Worth putting on you must do list!!!

Reviewed 2 August 2016

We entered an old house having a good atmosphere, & were accommodated by a really good hostess (even though we were a large group unreserved). Service was superb throughout. My wife had the breakfast which included a pancake that was cold & had been cooked in advance (which was replaced by a heavy-handed one that was cooked to order), the accompanying syrup was tasteless, Her eggs were as ordered (over easy) while my eggs were cooked to death. The toast for all was cold & unbuttered, the, on table butter provided was scant, my sausage & not-eatable ham was not cut-able with the provided butter knife, the homemade-jam was very good as was the creton & coffee cafe-au-lait which I prefer was strong & with character & delicious. The fried potatoes in duck's grease promoted by most lacked any form of spice & were taste's-less. My friend's opinion of his order of 'eggs benedict 'was good, but mirrored all the above on the accessary things. Our joint consensus- service was highly professional, as was atmosphere, while food prep & quality was Sub-Standard, price was at the high end of reasonable. We will not return, nor will we recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 3 July 2016 via mobile

Le Canard Gourmand is on the wine trail in Farnham. It's not the prettiest town or the most picturesque setting but it's by far and away the best meal hands down in the region!!! The chef is top notch and accommodates with specific modifications for a serious gluten allergy with no compromise to flavor or presentation. The server is extremely warm and welcoming and very very knowledgable. Our starters of foie gras and tartare were beyond delicious. The main courses of a poitrine skillfully and thoughtfully prepared with a celeriac and shiitake puréed sauce and a creative yet satisfying seafood work of art including squid, scallops and shrimp were incredible. Everything was so savory and delicious that our desserts were another order of the tartare and foie gras. They have an extensive local by both the glass and bottle wine list as well as some nice cocktails. Run do not walk to this memorable restaurant and don't let anyone in the area dissuade you because it's in Farnham. Do not miss eating here.

1  Thank HopeMS
Reviewed 13 May 2015

Remembering with glee the best brunch I ever had, Mom and I were very much looking forward to another feast of the same at the lovely Le Canard Gourmand on Mother's Day. We were immediately seated with French only menus and greeted by the charming Caroline. In a very short time, the pleasant waitress asked us for our order. As Mom doesn't speak French and no English menus were available, I had to translate the menu to her. As she is in her 80's, it's a slowly but surely approach. The waitress came back too often to take our order...annoying. The outstanding crepe from last time was no longer available to my chagrin & has been replaced by the Crepe Bacon. I ordered it & it was excellent but not as wonderful as the one I had last time. The cheese they use is especially yummy. Then there was the matter of the toast...it was extra??? Coffee? Extra too... Last time we had pain maison with homemade jam & dulce leche which were outstanding.This time they brought a rubbery undercooked teeny tiny muffin, the size of a walnut which was awful; one bite was all I could manage. I have had some superb meals there but this was decidedly not one of them. I will definitley go back but I hope Caroline & Co. bring back the old menu. Oh yes and 1 more thing. The potatoes which they fry in duck fat are usually to die for but not this time..they were over seasoned & cold. A la prochaine anyway!

Reviewed 21 March 2015

We stumbled across Le Canard Gourmand by chance, and it is now on my to-go list in the future whenever I am in the area.

Le Canard Gourmand felt like an hybrid of a "small town" Italian restaurant and of a "small town" french gastronomic restaurant. It reminded me of many restaurant in Europe: Italy for the casual attentive service where you feel welcomed and at home and French for the effort involved in developing the menu and the attention to details. The restaurant is owned by a couple, the lady providing service in the dining room, and the husband working in the kitchen.

I was very tempted to identify this as one of the best meal I ever had in a restaurant, but it is not "yet" quite there. The food was definitively tasty and showed great attention to details, but I felt it needed a little more refinement, which I am sure is on its way given the effort put by the owners.

The menu is mostly source from local, organic suppliers and boast a remarkable and well chosen wine list. Markups on wine are very low (~2x), as it should be and overall pricing is more than reasonable for the experience and the quality of the offering.

In summary: great dining experience, fairly price, worth the detour!