“BEST PUB LUNCHand worth a long drive”
Review of The Moody Cow

The Moody Cow
Price range: USD 7 - USD 37
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Country Pub and Dining specialising in authentic, home made food using local, fresh produce as much as possible. Located in a delightful village setting just mintutes from junction 4 of the M50. Children, dogs and muddy boots are welcome as long as they are accompanied by well behaved adults!
Reviewed 17 November 2016

Lunch was excellent as usual We would recommend the fish and chips homemade tarter sauce and fresh cooked mushy peas!! Also the pork and mustard mash are excellent. There is a chocolate caramel tart with villain ice cream that is beyond words it is so good . They also off a delightful cocktail The Moody Cow . Reservations are recommend, they are busy.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,112)

Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

Externally the Moody Cow looks very inviting with cool neon signs and it's not a let down when you get inside either ! We sat in the the bar and immediately felt it was a warm and relaxing area - large rustic tables and comfy chairs ! A slight disappointment as the promised legendary cow pie wasn't on as the beef needed to marinate until tomorrow for perfect flavour ! The substitutes - venison for me, 2x fish and chips and a steak were terrific instead and every bit as tasty as the description suggested ! Good sized potions but we bit the bullet and had 3 puddings between the 5 of us lol ! My sundae was delicious and 2 lots of sticky toffee pudding were polished off very quickly ! 2 pints of well kept beer helped it all down - Otter was particularly good although Drunken Cow was spot on too ! Thoroughly delightful evening with charming and efficient staff always on hand ! Would have no hesitation in recommending the Moody Cow to anyone for a cracking meal ! Mxx

Reviewed 10 November 2016

The atmosphere is lovely. The Moody Cow is a place to go to relax and enjoy a quality meal. The menu is filled with wholesome, hearty, country food, often with a twist.The food is not cheap but probably reasonable value for the quality offered. Best to book first but sometimes a table is available on spec. The host is very cheery and welcoming! I liked the idea of the three guest ales available to taste in three small glasses!

Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

Simply best warm welcome to a wonderful pub and restaurant. Great food choice and quality in cosy surroundings with brilliant beers and and wines. I could live here.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

My girlfriend and I decided to try The Moody Cow for dinner one Friday evening. Having lived in nearby Ross-on-Wye for a while, and hearing great things about the restaurant, we thought we were long overdue for a visit.

We were able to book a table for 7pm with no issues, even though we only booked a couple of hours beforehand having only decided to go there earlier in the evening. When we arrived, the restaurant was very quiet with only one other couple in the area we were sitting (which we didn't mind at all.) As the evening progressed the restaurant did get busier and by the time we left at around 9/9:30, it was nearly full. So, if you prefer a slightly busier setting you might want to book for a slightly later time, perhaps around 8pm.

I had the sticky ginger chicken wings to start and they were very tasty, although I wasn't sure whether to eat them with my hands or with my cutlery! I opted for fingers at first but I was making too much of a mess, so I settled on a knife and fork! It came with a really nice coleslaw on the side. My girlfriend had the smoked salmon with she enjoyed thoroughly!

For my main course I went for the chicken breast wrapped in bacon. It was stuffed with with a chorizo 'mousse' (although mine was more of a minced chorizo) which I had never had before, and I really enjoyed! It came in a lovely creamy mustardy sauce with two small mozeralla and tomato breaded parcels on the side. These were very tasty, but I wish there would have been more as I loved them so much! I also opted for chips on the side and it was all more than enough to eat. My girlfriend had duck cooked two ways along with a potato rosti and some seasonal veg, and she absolutely loved it! No complaints.

We didn't opt for desserts as we aren't always dessert-y people, but the selection was good with the usual items that you would expect. Instead, I had an espresso and my girlfriend ordered a hot chocolate.

Throughout the meal the staff were very attentive, helpful, and we were checked-back on. They made sure our meal went well as we were paying up and it just seemed like a very welcoming and friendly atmosphere.

Overall, the prices are slightly more than you would normally pay (only slightly) but the quality of the food you are getting it above and beyond what you are paying. I would urge everybody to try The Moody Cow just once for a special occasion (because I know once you visit you will want to go back like we do!)

I'm really looking forward to visiting again in the future and trying some more of their delicious dishes!

1  Thank adamcwhite1