“Excellent food in a lovely setting ”
Review of The Moody Cow

The Moody Cow
Price range: USD 7 - USD 37
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Country Pub and Dining specialising in authentic, home made food using local, fresh produce as much as possible. Located in a delightful village setting just mintutes from junction 4 of the M50. Children, dogs and muddy boots are welcome as long as they are accompanied by well behaved adults!
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Ate here on a Thursday evening. Every dish we ordered was excellent, really fresh, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. All dishes were clearly labelled with allergens and dishes could be adapted. One of the party suffers from Coeliac's disease and knowledge of this was excellent so her needs were accommodated. There was no children's menu but an offer to provide a smaller portion of any dish. We had a 5 year old with us who absolutely loved the kids fish and chips. The real ale was well kept. The place has a really nice atmosphere, lovely lighting, really warm, cosy, traditional yet tasteful decor. The dog was allowed in and it was spotless. Staff were friendly. All in all couldn't recommend this enough and hope to return. Really great value.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 12 September 2016

ABSOLUTELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!

All Staff were very attentive and polite.
Great selection of drinks/wines/craft beer's and ale's
Brilliant contemporary menu, very high quality and good size portions.
We had Ribs and a very unique home made vegetable lasagna, both perfect.
We will be back.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

Just a lovely relaxing lunch on a September Saturday. Although it's been a couple of years since we last visited our host remembered us.
Food was top notch; my mother especially enjoyed the fish and chips and her dessert.
We left promising to come back sooner next time.

Reviewed 11 September 2016

My wife and I were meeting another couple from Bromsgrove, we live in South Wales and a venue about half way was required, several in the Ross-on-Wye area were considered and all looked good with great reviews, but the deciding factor for this establishment was its name - The Moody Cow!

The location is on a 'B' classified road about 2-miles from the M50, so easy to find; we arrived a little while before the 12noon opening time and once inside we were shown to our reserved table (reservation recommended), menus issued and drink orders taken. Customer service is a high priority at The Moody Cow, customers are not pressurised into placing their order, nor are they rushed out when they have finished eating, but a member of staff is with you instantly should you require; the whole experience was very relaxing. The menu is comprehensive and very much a cut above that of a typical village pub, it is not cheap (nor is it expensive), but if you want quality food prepared well and served properly then you should expect to pay a little more than the cheap and cheerful establishments might request. As a starter I had a smoked salmon salad, it was light and delightfully tasty; the male in the other couple has mussels in a tomato based sauce which he really enjoyed, the ladies passed on on the starters saving them selves for the main course. Our friends both had sea bass, my wife had pulled pork and I chose the British standard dish of sausages and mash, though the mash was served with added extras to give it a modern twist. A large dish of mixed vegetables was served, it included green beans, carrots and red cabbage, it was all cooked to perfection.
We took a break before desserts were chosen with the men both selecting apple crumble, but the choice was difficult as there was much to choose from - I could happily eaten myself to be even fatter by choosing several of the desserts on offer!
The quality of the food we ate was superb, I would recommend The Moody Cow to anyone who likes good food; we got to meet the owner of the pub who has a wicked sense of humour and great to talk to as he seems genuinely interested in his diners. I mentioned how we selected the pub as the venue for our lunch date and his response was 'Have you met her yet? She's behind the bar'
All in all an experience to be repeated.

1  Thank Stuart W
Reviewed 10 September 2016

We visited on a Saturday evening whilst enjoying a visit to Ross-on-Wye. I had booked The Moody Cow having read reviews on TripAdvisor.

We were not disappointed. The menu was extensive and full of interest. The service was very smooth and timely. The atmosphere was friendly and, most importantly, the meal was delicious.

Whilst we were there a family of 5 arrived with the youngest child around 7 I think. (They hadn't booked but the hostess took the time to amend plans and re-allocate another table.) From where I was sitting I observed Chris, the host, take time to discuss the menu thoroughly and offer various alternatives for the children. Such attentiveness is so important and I imagine the family will return if they live locally.

Clearly the owners are passionate about what they do and have to offer.