“One of a kind!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Deetjen's Big Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Big Sur
Seattle
“One of a kind!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

I personally love Deetjens for the atmosphere, rustic sensibility, incredible setting and commitment to the environment. This is my second visit and have to say - if you can afford it get a cabin not attached to another, as I did my first stay. I love the comfort of the rooms but they really do need to work out how to sound proof them better without losing the atmosphere. We aren't talking party-people-sounds - party types wouldn't give this place a second glance. We're talking normal level conversations and movements. I sometime get a feeling that Deetjens is feeling a little too 'precious' and get a lot of mileage on that. Reservations are a must, which I had. I was there mid-week off-season and it was totally booked and crowded feeling.
Meals at the Inn are good, as mentioned in other reviews. The excellent Eggs Benedict is a build your own style - order what you want on it - "they don't assume ham." Dinner good but not outstanding.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank GretaGarboSeattle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We enjoyed our night here, but thought they were very proud of their inn. Both dinner and the room were pricier than any night we stayed in San Francisco but nothing was out of the ordinary other than the beautiful location of Big Sur and the charm of the old inn. The rooms are rustic and our neighbors were up all night giggling. They sounded like they were in our room with us! Dinner tasted great, but $36 for a steak was more than the same steak cost on nice menus in SF. Carry your own luggage up stairs, no frills service. It's a great spot, just not a great deal!

• Stayed January 2012
7 Thank thecoveys
Oxfordshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

We were looking forward to staying at this legendary place. This was the most expensive hotel we were staying at during our California coastal trip - especially considering they do not seem to discount during the off season.
We were not dissapointed, but for the price I expected a lot more. Firstly, when we arrived, an hour before check in, we were told to come back. I have not really been treated like this, even in much cheaper hotels. We even asked if we could sit in the restaurant and have a cup of coffee (as we had been travelling on the windy road for the last several hours - and I was feeling car sick) - but were told to go to a cafe in town. Hrumph. We went to the cafe and it wasn't even open!
When we were able to check in (on time), we found the room (fiasco) cosy and comfortable, although a little chilly. I understand this is a historic building and they are not interested to make it modern, but I think the price should reflect this. The heaters were really inefficient, and the bathroom minute and not a place you want to spent more time than necessary in! I really feel there was no reason not to have locks. But the bed was comfy, although after reading the many guest books I hated to think of the activities that took place before us in it! (if you stay at Deetjun's you will know what I mean).
The restaurarant was lovely and atmosphereic but we were not as impressed with the food, sadly.
It was an experience I will remember, but I do not think I would return. I love older homes and rustic cottages, however I just don't think the price matched the experience in this case.

Room Tip: Fiasco was good - just bring earplugs no matter what
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mali1964
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Yes this place is not cheap, but we had a great stay. Fell in love with our room, could have moved in there. The whole site has a wonderful atmosphere. Recommend that you take the short walk to watch the sun set.

You must also eat at their restaurant- amazing.

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Kdumen
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Sunset beckoned to us, we’re not used to these short wintry days, and at 6.30 Pat calls a halt – we’re at Big Sur and are outside of Deetjon’s. I look at “Grandpas Cabin” – it’s just right all woody, slightly smokey and very evocative. The box of vinyls labelled “unpopular” is lovely – C King, J Mitchell, B Springfield, L Rondstat, S Miller and the Loving Spoonful – “Do You Believe in Magic?” – YES
Pat browses through the guest book which dates back to the hippy days of the 60s and includes the thoughts of some very strange Californian excentrics. I get the stove lit and it’s all so cosy there. We have a couple of shots of whiskey and go to eat in their restaurant which is quite charming and the food is delicious. The company is good too but despite that we’re glad to get back to the coziness and concupiscence of the lovely smoke smelling, romantic room and big Victorian bed.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5.0 km away
Big Sur Lodge
Big Sur Lodge
#2 of 8 in Big Sur

Been to Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? Share your experiences!