“Great trail ride!”

Molera Horseback Tours
Ranked #3 of 4 Tours in Big Sur
More attraction details
Owner description: Scenic horseback tours through Andrew Molera State Park that take riders over the river and through the redwoods.
Reviewed 14 August 2015

We choose the 2 hour trail ride that takes you through part of the redwoods and the hills right to a short walk on the beach. The guides are familiar with the plant life and the history of the area. If you have not ridden a horse in a while I would suggest a shorter ride. Our legs and back were killing us after 2 hours. Bring a hat, sunblock and I would suggest a long sleeve shirt as you will be in the sun for part of the ride. There is no stopping once the ride starts so empty your bladder.

2  Thank lovelife40

Reviewed 5 August 2015 via mobile

I just recently visited this place and was immediately told my children had to sign contracts. Once we got assigned to our horses we were told very strict directions on how to treat them properly. I got the horse Melody and she was SO slow. She was a few yards behind everyone else almost all the time and was told if she didn't move, the horse behind her would bite. I really enjoyed crossing the river and walking on the beach on our horses. The ride was over the amount of time we were told it would be. Overall, the ride had some good, and some bad things.

2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 2 August 2015

I believe the only riding available in Big Sur, it was a pleasant 2 hour ride through redwoods and ending up on the beach. Probably better to book a private ride just to get more lively horses! Mine "knew exactly what to do" and nothing was going to get her to do anything different! However, that is good for many!

Reviewed 31 July 2015

My wife and I recently went on their 2.5 hour tour from 3:30pm to 6pm. You'll pull in to Andrew Molera State Park, go down the hill, and then take an left under their sign before the park attendants booth. When you reach the corral, there is plenty of parking and portable restrooms. The staff were much friendlier in person than over the phone and recommended we change clothes in the car vs. the outhouses. You must be there 30 minutes ahead of time to sign wavers and get fitted. A couple came in later with no reservations and they said it was too late for them, even though we were all just sitting around waiting for the previous tour to return. I thought it was strange to turn down business like that.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment about horse care and I'm not an animal rights activist, but I didn't see anything wrong with the ranch conditions as others have stated (without specifics). Only to say that the horses had great personalities and I saw all the staff treat the horses very well and always positive.

We were able to take our phone and camera with us if it was hanging from a lanyard which they do provide, but most everything else was off limits if it can fall. Here's the bottom line - they don't want you getting off the horse at all during the ride. It was a hot day, but as soon as you hit the beach it can get very chili, very fast. Bring a jacket if you can. Helmets are optional for adults, but required for anyone under 18. They have stairs and stumps to help everyone get on/off the horses.

The ride starts off slow and stays slow the entire time. I loved going up and down hills to break things up a bit along with the redwoods. The river (creek unless it's raining) crossings were also fun, but the long straight parts were painfully slow after a while. This may be normal for most vendor horseback rides. I think 2.5 hours was a bit too long to ride at that pace and found myself closing my eyes for a bit of it. I wish they would have invited some of us to trot a bit.

The beach was a pretty quick stop. You stroll down to the mouth of the river (maybe 100 yards), guides take pictures, then stroll back. The horses can get spooked by deer, twigs snapping, and some didn't like the ocean waves.

Your bum will hurt after a couple hours and my feet would get a little numb. Some complained about knees or ankles, so be prepared. The staff were very careful to help everyone off and make sure we were OK standing again. Great, relaxing ride and not bad for the price.

Hope this helps.