“Hidden gem, not so hidden anymore.”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Villa XaAn

Main Bedroom Bath
Laundry Room
Pool Bath
Pool Bath
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
belisler
Portland, Oregon
“Hidden gem, not so hidden anymore.”
Reviewed 6 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

It pains me to say how awesome this town, this house, this host all are ... because the town is growing leaps and bounds and I fear some day it'll become a Cancun or Playa del Carmen, but hoping we've got a few more years of this peaceful, eclectic, authentic Mexican town to enjoy. When you visit here, you're experiencing Mexico at it's best ... laid back, slow-paced, maybe just a little dust-covered, but happy, delicious and inviting. Do yourself and the locals a favor and get out of the all-inclusive resorts, away from people who look like you and experience Mexico for what it is. Interact with the people who make this place great. Buy a stack of fresh tortillas from the 24-hour tortilla factory down the street. Talk to your taxi driver (bonus points if it's in any form of broken or perfect Spanish) and find out their favorite al pastor spot in the colonia. Get a massage from the Mayan women at the Jungle Spa; it'll change your life. Stay away from the giant corporate-run animal and eco-adventure attractions. In most cases they are not caring for the animals or the environment and you'll just end up sad you supported it. Swim in a cenote or ten. Snorkel with a guide -- Puerto Morelos snorkeling and swimming is so much more enjoyable than both Tulum and Playa. Highly recommend Shane from Brekos Snorkeling. Find the roaming nighttime pastry van and buy all the pastries. Buy your souvenirs at the night market - there are some truly talented artists with beautiful one-of-a-kind pieces. There are also some vendors who are just making a living, selling what they can, handmade or not, and that's ok, too. Last, but not least, give Rick a hug for me when you stay here. He's the most accommodating, gracious host you'll ever encounter. Top notch hospitality professional. His friend, Tony, who contracts with him for guest van/taxi service is also the best. Such wonderful people happy and ready to show you all the best things about their area. Can never thank them enough for all the awesome experiences we've had there!

7 May 2017
Erin;
What a wonderful tale, if anyone can speak for the area and narrated in most inviting way, that is you.
Thank you for such kind comments about me and Tony, we love you.
Until next time.
Julie R
“This place has to be experienced!”
Reviewed 5 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

We couldn't have asked for a better place, service, location, food, activity planning, or anything.
Rick nailed absolutely every aspect
The property and the area exceeded our expectation.
Highly recommend!

7 May 2017
Julie, Gladys;
Many thanks, It was a joy having you at the Villa.
teress15
Mexico City, Mexico
“Lovely house, perfectly equipped, 10 minutes drive from the beach.”
Reviewed 25 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017
person found this review helpful

Rick is a great host, the house is new, lovely and very well equipped.Puerto Morelos and the beach are on the other side of the road and the mangroves, so it is better to have a car or rent a bike.
Puerto Morelos is lovely and has many great restaurants.

Your age range 50-64
27 Apr 2017
Teresa; Thank so much for your rating and kind comments, it sure was a pleasure having you and your guest and look forward to the opportunity of having you back in the near future.
Regards,
Linda D
“Amazing !”
Reviewed 15 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

First of all I would love to write a bad review because I don't want everyone to find out about this gem . But I have to be honest and let everyone know how great It is. I was very apprehensive about you renting a villa but from the first message that I sent Rick I felt very safe. . He always responded very quickly to any question that I had and understood my apprehension which is why I chose his place.

Antonio picked us up at the airport which was exactly as Rick had promised. Antonio is amazing. He has great English and seems to know so much about Mexico. I could listen to him all day. He also will provide excursion options at a very reasonable price. He took us to 5th ave and told us to take as much time as we needed. We found out on the drive home that he had started his day at 6 am and it was now 10 pm. He is so accommodating. I would trust him to take me and my family anywhere.

Villa : Rick’s Villa is beautiful and very clean. There is ceramic and marble everywhere and it is so spacious. The Master bedroom is to die for. It is a walk-in closet and ensuite and it has patio doors that open to the amazing pool. There is every pot and pan and utensil you can think of…except a potato masher. I had to use a fork. Lol. Rick also provided towels and shampoo and soap as well as a cell phone in case we needed him . There is Netflix which came in handy on the second night because it was raining so hard. There is also a washer and dryer which was awesome. I would say the only down side to the villa is that the kitchen sink did not hold water because the plug didn't fit at all. It was very hard to hand wash pots and the top rack of the dishwasher was broken so it was frustrating to open and close. But no big problems.

Puerto Morelos is a sweet little town very untouched by tourism. I loved that. The food was very cheap and the locals were very friendly. There was not one day or night that I felt unsafe. The beach is very long with a lot of restaurants. It should only cost 25 pesos from Ricks to the beach. Do not let the taxi drivers charge you more because some will try. There are also beach chairs for rent. Unico beach has the best price for chairs, 120 pesos for the day for 2 Chairs an umbrella and a table and the waiters serve you at your beach chair. It was awesome. The food was good however we absolutely loved the food at Cancun Billy’s! I strongly recommend you go there for at least a drink and see Vincent, he is a sweetie. They have a band there on Thursday nights and it is awesome.
Snorkelling- see Charlie Brown. Yup that is right. Charlie Brown. He was very reasonably priced and he knew a lot about the reef.
There is another restaurant with beach chairs in the middle of the beach. Don't go there. The food is awful and the prices are not good. George told us he could get us a deal to a cenote for 5 US dollars a person and his brother in law would drive us for 50 US dollars. When we got there they charged us 20 US dollars per person. We were mot impressed. I wished I had asked Antonio to plan an excursion.

16 Mar 2017
Linda, Leon;
Once again many thanks for your input and kind comments.
I like to mention the following:
1) The Kitchen Sink does have a plug to hold water, it is always tucked away in the bottom door.
2) The top rack in the dishwashers wasn't broken, it was off it's wheel rails.
If I would have known about this issues I would have taken care of them immediately including getting a potato masher.
What I don't know I can not fix.
It sure was a pleasure having you at the villa and look forward to the opportunity of having you back in the no to distant future.
GlobeTrot...
“Terrific!”
Reviewed 5 March 2017 for a stay in February 2017
people found this review helpful

We stayed for a month and everything was just perfect.
Spacious bedrooms, lovely bathrooms, a refreshing pool. Serenity and safety!
Rick takes impeccable care of his property and his guests. Any questions? He has answers. Any needs? He addresses them. The maid service is thorough and honest. This morning on our way to the airport, we left a jacket behind with our passports in the pocket. Rick jumped into his car and drove to find us. We got it back. He's wonderful!. Thanks Rick, for a wonderful and relaxing time.

5 Mar 2017
Martha, Brian;
Thank you so much, it was a sheer pleasure having you at the Villa and hope it wouldn't be last.
Rick Fernández
Villa Xa'An
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing