All reviews privilege room anne marie mercure hull steam room leisure facilities an update enjoyed my stay changing rooms would stay again course meal family room good nights sleep one night stay comfy bed breakfast was excellent full english humber bridge
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I have a Taste Card, and saw this restaurant on the list of places nearby that would accept it. (for those of you who don't know what a "Taste Card" is, you basically pay an annual fee, then get 2-4-1 offers at a selection of restaurants, but usually only valid from Monday - Thursday). It wasn't a special night out or anything, just couldn't be bothered to cook!

We went on the Thursday before the Easter B/H weekend, and when we arrived, we were surprised that the place was empty, all bar two tables (there are around 30 tables in there). It's a very well presented venue, and the waiter / customer service was excellent

We checked the menu, and the main courses are quite expensive, and to be honest, I wouldn't have eaten here if it wasn't for the 2-4-1 offer - ranging from £12 up to about £24 for a posh steak. We both went for Steak Burgers (not actually steaks, but hand made burgers) @ £16 each (1 x Blue Cheese, 1 x Ranch). So with a couple of drinks each, and no starters or deserts, I was expecting a bill of around £25-£30

The meal was excellent, and the chips were to die for (double cooked I think?) - we had 2 x G&T's, and one and a half pints of Becks between us. When the bill came, I had to check it again - £40.32!!! Remember, this was 2-4-1, so the actual food was only £16.

When I got home, I checked the till receipt. Now I'm either getting really old, or tight, or both - but £19 for four drinks - plus a service charge of £5.12? (which I don't remember agreeing to pay). Come on now Mercure! The G&T's were £6.40 each - unbelievable! Would have expected to have been at least a bit tipsy if I'd spent that on alcohol anywhere else.

Anyway, rant over. Yes, I probably would go back again (midweek, with a Taste Card), but not if I was thirsty! Also be aware of the 10% service charge.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jeffrey_Cave, Front Office Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Hello Darren,

I can understand your frustration over the price of the drinks, unfortunately, while we can at a local level put on specials on food and drink, the prices are set globally by our Head Office. I have passed on your comments to the relevant managers, however, so they can pass the comments to those that need to know.

I am glad you will becoming again and hopefully we can impress you again.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was a one night break through Secret Escapes. Paid just £59 for Bed and Breakfast for both of us, which included a complimentary drink on arrival. The check in was straight forward and our room was very nice indeed. All the usual things in the room which was on the second floor in a quiet part of the hotel. We were out for the evening meal but breakfast was very good.

I also made use of the spa facilities. The pool was nice and warm Steam room superb as was the jacuzzi, but the Sauna was not so hot.

For the money paid we very much enjoyed our stay here. If there was one gripe, then it was the time taken to get served at the bar. 15-20 minutes to get a drink is way to long and needs sorting. At the time, there was a number of customers waiting. The poor barman, Vladimir keep his cool, but was very much under pressure. At busy times like this management either need to assist or allocate another bar person. All staff were pleasant, polite and attentive. All in all a nice stay.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Jeffrey_Cave, Front Office Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Dear David A,

Thank you for the lovely review.

I can understand your frustration at the wait at the bar, unfortunately, the bar was undermanned due to a late staff sickness.

I hope you will come back again very soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

As a couple that like to get away for the weekend Often we no sometimes things can’t be helped and checking in can be delayed but by booking though secret Escapes it said early check in available from 12 so when we got there late on about 3pm and our room was still not available and had to wait a hour before getting in to our room witch then had someone’s hair in the bath no milk no bottled water no biscuits not good for an apparent 4* spa on the plus side staff where very friendly and the village was very peaceful and had cracking village pub

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank syorksman99

Hello syorksman99,

Thank you for your review.

I can see that, unfortunately, we have not meet our usual standards and for this I can only apologise. Sometimes, things do go wrong and we have to hold our hands up and admit it.

I hope we can welcome you again so we can show our usual standards.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

My usual Hull overnighter was full, so having used Accor hotels in the past decided to give this a try.
The checkin welcome was quick and friendly and my room was a decent size with a bath, the open plan wardrobe was a bit of a faff, but the room was comfortable enough. The hotel was a little tired looking in general.
Had a couple of beers in the bar and then moved to the restaurant for dinner. Oddly enough I agreed with a previous reviewer that the restaurant was a bit chilly!
I felt the menu was a bit pricey, £15.00 for a burger was steep, my colleague had this and said it was ok, we shared Nachos for a starter @ £7 which was a decent portion which we both enjoyed, more in a moorish way as opposed to the cooking skills involved. My main was Braised chicken leg, white bean & smoked ham hock cassoulet with rustic bread at £14.00 which was very disappointing it was a small chicken leg in what looked like a bowl of baked beans, and tasted like a bowl of baked beans, it was very bland and not terribly enjoyable.
250 mil of wine started at £7.00 again a bit pricey, the house wine was not discounted and was £21.00 a bottle, this was the lead-in price. So dinner not a success, a shared starter, 2 mains, 1/2 a bottle of wine each was £29.00 a head, definitely not good value! Next time we will eat out where I am sure £60 will go a lot further in value and quality.
The breakfast offered a decent selection of hot and cold options, and was enjoyable enough.
Might stay here again, but the restaurant is not for me.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Jeffrey_Cave, Front Office Manager at Mercure Hull Grange Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Loveallthingsspanish,

Thank you for writing a constructive review, if people do not give good feedback we can never improve.

Your feedback has been passed to the Executive Chef and the Food and Beverage Manager to look at.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Really enjoyed my stay here. For background; last week I stayed in another Mercure Hotel in France. It was one of my worst experiences ever - the review is elsewhere.

So I am really pleased my faith was restored by the Hull Mercure - clean, tidy, efficient, everything working as it should. Really friendly staff, excellent bar and restaurant. The room was fabulous with a lovely sofa to relax and watch TV (to contrast with the week before - I had a double and a single bed stuffed in a room, with a small stool to sit on).

And the best complement of bathroom accessories I've ever seen - to contrast again with the previous week - one bar of soap.

Really well done...a lovely hotel, not our first stay, and surely not our last.

Room tip: If you want real quiet, ask for a room at the far side of the hotel. Silence.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear David_Ben454,

Wow, just wow. This is the stay we want all our guests to have. Its the bar we have set ourselves.

Unfortunately, we do miss it sometimes but it sounds like we smashed through it with yourselves.

It is always excellent to hear we have done so well and for other people to see the positives.

I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.