“Disappointed experience. Food was ok. ”
Review of Jin Go Gae

Jin Go Gae
Ranked #3 of 85 Restaurants in New Malden
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Came to this establishment for the 2nd time. Came with a group of 12 so we booked.

After the waitress sat us down, we were ignored for a minimum of 25mins. We were given 2 menus between 12 of us. After a family day out in chessington. We were exhausted, hungry and thirsty. No one has actually came to serve us. I understand it was full and it was busy. However as a minimum, you still have to offer us a drink promptly.

Eventually my wife had to walk up to the bar and request someone to come and serve us. We ordered a mixtures of food, starters, rices and BBQ etc. My wife ordered a pot of noodles for the children and requested to have an item removed. The waitress rejected our request and said the kitchen is too busy to alter it. I was actually thinking if the food was ready made. My wife wanted to remove the glass noodle and have udon noodles instead and asked them no matter what they must remove it and we were willing to pay the extra for udon noodles. For a pot that cost £25. Surely you would do that for your customer.

Started were served promptly. But...... not our drinks. Around 15 mins later, we nearly finished our starters. We felt we must ask the waitress about our drink. Guess what, she forgot to place the drink order. Typical.

Then noodle mixed pot came first with the main as it was for children/ ready prepped and the glass noodle were right on top of it. We didn’t say nothing as we can just remove them ourselves. When the waitress came to serve the remaining of our main, she noticed we were picking out the noodles and brought up udon. I guess she forgot it as well.

Finally bbq came. They cooked our bbq with the gas off........ what a joke. Not even going to talk about this anymore.

When the bill came, 10% service was included. I surely not going to pay that. When waitress was counting, she said the money was short. I directly told her, they didn’t not deserve service charge.

No a good experience but be honest food was ok. Not great but ok.

2  Thank KarmanL25

Reviewed 6 April 2018

This restaurant is great, it is big and has a great atmosphere when it's busy. The BBQ uses coal and gas which gives the meat a great smoked flavour, not to mention the meat flavour and quality is excellent. The staff are very friendly and I would definitely recommend visiting this place.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

It is realised that it should be very busy during lunch time, so have a earlier one around 12:15, Easter Monday holiday. Typical Korean food with reasonable price. Staff are nice. You still can have lunch meal, just around £7-8 each. Be reminded no reservation during lunch time. So if you want to taste yummy Korean meal, plan well since a long queue starts from 1:00, even it is a rainy day.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

I like the food of the restaurant, the food tasted very Korean, I eat with my friends on Sunday evening, nice restaurant.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018

We went there on a Monday to celebrate a family birthday. It was busy and lively and we had booked in advance. Our waitress was very friendly and we immediately felt welcome. We were also pleased to see many tables with Korean people which was also pleasing since there was more of a likelihood that the cuisine would be authentic.
What to choose, this was my first Korean restaurant and the waitress was very helpful explaining the various dishes. What took my eye was the meant being cooked on a gas burner and another charcoal heated burner that is inset into the middle of the table.
We had a number of starters, the most notable was, dumplings, deep fried chicken pieces in batter, kalbi jim, which is beef short ribs in a soupy type bowl, Jap Chae, a dish of glass noodles. The best were the Jap Chae noodles and deep fried chicken. The dumplings were ok, but really without the table sauces, a bit on the dull side. The kimchi relish i think is fermented cabbage and came as a relish and it is a godo accompaniment.
For our main courses we had ordered the Bulgogi, beef cooked on a gas stove,
dol bibim bab, a rice dish with a fried egg, and dae ji |Kalbi, raw spare ribs which we cooked to our liking on the charcoal burner heating a metal grid recessed into our table.
The bulgogi, I found a but overrated, too sweet for my liking. The spare ribs, which had been marinated were ok, but without much flavour without the sauces provided. Stiill it was fun cooking them, The dish I enjoyed the most was dol bibim bab, the rice dish. It was the most tasty by far.
One of our party is a vegan so the choice was very limited as to what she could eat. She had Ya bchae gu-ee and musroo gu-ee, kind of selection of raw begetables which she cooked on the charcoal burner. And there in lies a problem. If you are dining with a vegan or vegetarian and they want to barbeque their food you have to taker it in turns since you cant be cooking meat at the same time as they are cooking their vegetables. Not sure the restaurant caters for such a situation.
We had a pot of Jasmine between between us and this was charged at nearly £10 if you include service, a bit steep for a pot of tea.
The service was excellent, I could not fault it, except for the lack of interest in helping the vegan person choose something to eat - a plate of veg is not really sufficient.

The price came to just under £140 which for four doest seem too bad, but the vegan part of the meal was around £20 for a plate of vegetables and a bowl of rice - by any measure that is not reasonable.
So good for a one-off experience, a bit underwhelming byt glad we went there.

Date of visit: March 2018