“Mooring at West Somerton? Eat and Drink here.”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Private Room, 3 Bathrooms, Sleeps 2
West Somerton, Norfolk, East Anglia, England

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 19 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Any
Adrian P
Telford, United Kingdom
“Mooring at West Somerton? Eat and Drink here.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

My two teenage boys and I were sailing our boat on the Broads and West Somerton was one of the places we were scheduled to stop. It rained during this leg of the journey so we decided to stop off for dinner. The food was good and filling, the staff and locals very friendly. We decided to have a full English the following morning. They opened up early for us, we had breakfast and spent the morning playing pool as the weather was so unsuitable for sailing. Next time we go to the Broads this will be on our itinerary. Many thanks.

Value Location
Cleanliness Service
tangleWoo...
Pewsey UK
“Ideal for for fishing, bird and seal watching - good beer & food”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

Right, in the interests of full disclosure, I should point out that I have been going to this pub on and off for the last 40 years or so. Clearly it has been through a few pairs of hands in that period. It's the only pub in the village - thank god it's a good one.

John, the current landlord, has been in-situ for around 2 1/2 years as I type. He's a very personable chap and always makes me and my family welcome. As Peter says (See review below) he's no oil painting; you probably wouldn't want to bump into him unexpectedly in the night - but I can vouch for the fact he won't put you off your meal.

The food is proper pub grub – well cooked and presented, top notch and he serves a good pint as well (Woodfordes Wherry is the local brew) - always well kept. There's typically a good convivial crowd in most weekend evenings with high local representation and plenty of parking. If you are in one of the surrounding villages John will pick you up (And drop you off) in his minibus.

I've not used the accommodation here myself but members of my family have and they have all reported the rooms to be well appointed and very clean - breakfast is well reviewed as well. Finally and most important - there is free wifi – and it works :-)

Somerton itself is the ideal place for Norfolk fishing and bird watching holidays; in wildlife terms, the countryside around here is positively fecund. I am biased but I think this is one of the prettiest small villages in the Norfolk broads. I'm told that Somerton Staithe is the source of the river Thurne and has the cleanest water in the Broads - If you're arriving by boat - there is free mooring here too (A mere five minute walk from the pub). There is some beautiful scenery within a short walk (See my photos), the seal colony at Horsey is a very short car trip away (Park at Horsey mill and take the footpath across the road) and the beach & dunes at Winterton are a similar distance in the other direction - in fact when visiting me & the dog regularly walk down to the Winterton beach cafe for breakfast (About 30 minutes if I step out, 40 minutes otherwise)

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Mark L
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014
people found this review helpful

Fun and welcoming family pub, good food and made at home...
Lovely Norfolk surroundings, you wont be disappointed. .........
Although isolated they offer a free minibus to and from the venue , so no worries about driving, you dont get this sort of sevice anywhere else. ...

Travelling group: Friends
Martin W
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Jewel in the Crown!”
Reviewed 25 December 2013 for a stay in September 2013
people found this review helpful

This B&B, Pub has gone from strength to strength since the new landlady & her husband took over! I have stayed there a total of 3 times up to now, for usually 5 nights, & have no grripes about food or rooms.
A short walk from the free staithe moorings brings you to The Lion, but don't forget a torch, the street lighting in this area is a bit hit & miss & having a torch means you can see, but also be seen!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
Catherine...
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“A hidden oasis at the end of the Broads”
Reviewed 3 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

On a recent trip to the Norfolk Broads I discovered this hidden gem. This B&B and pub is hidden at the end of Martham Broads. Free quiet moorings. The peace was loud. It has come under new management a year ago. The landlord was friendly. We had a lovely meal, generous portions of traditional pub grub.Well priced. Local ales and ciders also feature behind the bar.
It could do with a childrens play area to attract more families to this quiet village. Ample parking. The sign posting from the Broads and moorings could be better to attract more customers. I hope this new business goes from strength to strength.

Value Location
Cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Family
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing