“Spacious house but listing inaccurate. Good...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Catwhowal...
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Spacious house but listing inaccurate. Good location.”
Reviewed 30 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

We enjoyed our stay at Kilton Mill house very much and had a lovely holiday.

The pros and cons of our stay are as follows:

Pros
* It’s a big, spacious house
* Lots of charm as a lovely old mill cottage with original features
* Comfortable and well maintained
* Close to a gorgeous beach (though it’s hidden so don’t take it at first glance!)
* Plenty of room for a large family or group
* The owner obviously loves the house very much and has decorated it meticulously and down to the last detail
* Great location for lots of lovely local seaside places e.g. Saltburn, Staithes and Whitby a little further afield

Cons
* No ensuite despite one being listed. Two bathrooms are near bedrooms but without a connecting door. We always choose a house advertising an ensuite for my mother’s privacy.
* No dryer despite one being listed on here. Again, this is something that we always choose as a ‘must’ in any house we book as a large family generates a lot of laundry. We only had an airer or outside line to dry clothes.
* Not a secure garden for children because the neighbours have access for cars and gate to road cannot be closed.
* There is a set of extremely steep and worn concrete steps to one side of the front door. These are gated but the gate is easily bypassed.
* Two very steep staircases in the house and all windows have blind cords.
* Heating is controlled by the owner via the internet, so you can’t put it on if you feel cold.
* We had to request the house details i.e. address twice in the days leading up to our stay.
* On arrival there were no dishwasher tabs, no washing tabs and little toilet paper. We requested these items and the owner informed us that they only provide a certain amount of toilet paper. Although they did then provide these items, it felt uncomfortable to start our stay by quibbling about loo roll!

Overall, as I say, we had a super week in a lovely part of the world, but the listing needs to be updated to better reflect the property.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
30 Jul 2017
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed staying at my cottage I really do my best to keep the cottage in as good order as possible and provide as much as I can for my guests to have a comfortable stay bearing in mind that it is a self catering holiday accommodation. Apologies for the apparent lack of loo roll I've always provide 2 rolls per toilet (6 rolls in total) but if this has spoilt your holiday I really am sorry but hopefully bringing another 12 pack down within a couple of hours of your complaint helped to improve your stay ! X
Allison W
Bridgend, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing stay”
Reviewed 28 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

I am not one to complain, however, on this occasion, I feel that I need to share my findings, as I do not wish anyone else to experience what we did.
We have just returned from a 7 night stay, at Kilton Mill Cottage. To say that I am disappointed, is an understatement. I had booked the cottage for myself and my family, and paid over £1000, for our week's stay, which we had saved hard for.
On arrival, I thought the cottage looked lovely, the setting was beautiful, and close to the local beach, which the children loved. Unfortunately when retiring to bed on the first evening, which was on the ground floor, it was smelling really damp, and cold. On sitting on the bed, I found it to be cold and damp. On inspection, I found that this bedroom was actually below the ground, as the garden runs parallel to it. With all the other bedrooms occupied, the only option was to take the mattress upstairs to the dining room, which we spent the remainder of our holiday, sleeping on the floor. I contacted the owners the following morning, who did visit the cottage, but stated that it was due to the "humidity" . They did bring us new bedding etc, however they said that they could not do anything about the "foisty smell" in the lower bedroom. There was a de-humidifier in the room, which suggests that this has happened before.
I am truly disappointed, with the response from the owner, and will not be recommending this property, in the future.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
31 Jul 2017
I really am so sorry that my guests did not enjoy their stay. I have let the cottage now into the 4th season and I have never had this complaint with any guests before. The cottage does not suffer from damp at all and although the lower ground floor basement rooms are below ground level there is no ingress of damp. However due to the very high humidity due to heavy rainfall and very hot weather I would agree that there was a dampness in the air inside the cottage as it is a very old building with very thick walls and can hold the humidity I these exceptional circumstances. The bedding was only just placed on the bed the morning that my guests arrived and was not damp nor was the bed or the mattress. I did all that I could to make my guests a little more comfortable but unfortunately I had no control over the weather or the high humidity.
Kathryn13...
Leeds, United Kingdom
“lovely house”
Reviewed 6 October 2016 for a stay in September 2016

What a lovely place we booked for our daughters birthday Arrived to find plenty of parking in a private yard On entering the house it was like someone's home everything you could ask for and more will definitely go again and recommend to anyone

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Large Group
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
6 Oct 2016
Hi Kathryn, thank you so much for giving my cottage such a lovely review and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. June x
nicecarbo...
Denton, Manchester
“Blown Away”
Reviewed 19 September 2016 for a stay in September 2016
person found this review helpful

Gorgeous property maintained to the highest standard offering more than just home from home. The host provides everything you need and more for the perfect getaway. It's location lends itself to easy access to neighbouring seaside towns of Saltburn, Staithes and Runswick Bay all within minutes drive.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything
Liked least: Nothing to report
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
22 Sep 2016
Thank you for a lovely review,it makes all the hard work really worth it when my guests enjoy the stay at my cottage. June x
Jacquelin...
“Excellent accommodation.”
Reviewed 16 February 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

As one of a party of 9, I have just returned from a 3 night stay and can not fault Kilton Mill House. Roomy, tastefully decorated and the owners could not be more accommodating.
Highly recommend.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
6 Sep 2016
Thank you so much Jacqueline for giving Kilton MILL such a lovely review, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.x
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing