2,270 results
All reviews canoe house mauna lani fish honu bar ocean front the big island free bikes ocean grill four seasons daily activities beach club terrace restaurant sea turtles breakfast buffet resort fee golf course fitness center
Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Spent 5 nights here
with my husband. We had a swell time and enjoyed our trip and the hotel. There is a gorgeous beach a short walk away (in front of the beach club). Valet, bikes and resort shuttle included in the resort fee. Close to many restaurants and the shops. About 35min to kona airport and 1-1.25hrs to kona activities ie. Manta rays, captain cook snorkel but easy driving. This place isn't real fancy like the Fairmont next door but i loved it even more for that as it had a really warm feel. The only issue we had was due to a late booking we had to book 1 night in 1 room and the other 4 in another. This meant we only got the breakfast deal on the 4. I spoke to the manager at check in who was most unhelpful and actually upset me. Rose the front desk lady however reassured me she would escalate the issue herself and sure enough it all got sorted with 5 breakfasts. She also organised a complimentary bottle of bubbles for our honeymoon.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laura_DK
Reviewed 13 January 2018

The main recommendation for the Mauna Lani Hotel is the natural beauty of its setting. Bordered by the ocean and the ancient fish ponds, every view from the hotel is lush and lovely. The lava rock coastline is carved with sandy coves and there is good snorkeling right off the beach. The hotel itself is not a flashy resort but rather a sophisticated but subdued Hawaiian style hotel with open architecture. The rooms are stylish Hawaiian with wood louvered shutters which slide back to reveal floor to ceiling glass sliding doors opening to balconies with either ocean or garden view. The bathrooms are spacious with two basins and some have walk in showers while others have an older style tub/shower. Some of the public areas of the hotel need refurbishing. the elevators are getting a little beat up and some walls need repainting, but the rooms seemed in good shape. The beds were comfortable with a choice of pillows, and falling asleep to the sound of the ocean waves was heavenly. The onsite restaurant the Canoe House is expensive but the atmosphere is romantic and the food delicious. It sits near the beach with a sunset view from the patio. A beautiful place for special dinner when the tiki torches are lit and the sound of the waves provide background music.

Room Tip: If choosing an ocean view room you may want to specify a west facing room for the view of the magnificanet sunsets.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2018 via mobile

Nice room, nice hotel. Really quiet and inactive. Nice beach and location. Honu bar staff was very unfriendly and cold. Nice breakfast buffet for $35. Cold buffet is $26. Be sure to get a junior suite. Probably won't go back.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JaimeMexico
Reviewed 9 January 2018

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. When they say resort, they mean it. I was there early December, and the place was decorated for Christmas. The place is beautiful, the waterfall in the lobby is stunning. And I've never seen a hotel like this, with the indoor/outdoor style, koi pond in the lobby, pond with sharks outside. Not to mention the "historic park" which you could wonder around for hours, with the jumping fish, crabs, and other fish. You can see the volcanic rock caves the ancient Hawaiians lived in. The hotel was extremely clean, quiet, and luxurious. It is located in a wonderful location. When we arrived they gave us lays, and a complimentary "juice" and just treated us like royalty. They even upgraded our room for free, we were now just steps away from the beach.

** I only have three things to note:
1) The bathroom sink would randomly fill up with sand. I called twice about this, and they came right away and cleaned it both times. I guess there's nothing they can do about that, but it's weird the sink must run to a beach and back up or something.Still weird and made me feel dirty.

2) I once called to head of time to pick up my car, and heard the valet making a joke about it with one of the other guests. Trying to make it seem like we were spoiled or something? I don't get it, we weren't rude to them, they took the car automatically we didn't have a choice. All the other staff was extra nice to us, so I just wrote it off as a fluke.
3) My other point to make is the hotel was completely empty. We were the only ones there for most of our stay. It was nice to have a resort to ourselves, but also sort of spooky. Wish there were others in the hotel. Made me wonder why no one else stayed there? On Friday we were checking out and a bunch of people were checking in, so maybe it's a place people only go to on weekend? People should go here more though, it's reasonably priced, they offer a lot to do (actual authentic Hawaiian activities, didn't feel like disneyland like the Hilton next door does), and it's beautiful. Very glad we stayed here, it made our trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the right side, ground floor. very close to the beach, and you have the koi pond in front in the outdoor "hallway"
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael V
Reviewed 7 January 2018

This property is due for a renovation and it is time. It is not the best but not the worst either. The water features are good throughout the property which make for interesting fish watching and getting a calm feeling. Overall the property seems loud and busy.

The rooms are pretty nice and our bathroom was the best part of the room. Separate sinks made getting ready more seamless for two people used to their own spaces. The placement of the bathtub/shower was awkward but still okay.

Our view from the balcony was awesome!

Hopefully the renovations will bring this property up-to-date!

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front. High floors. A/C was minimal. Ceiling fans.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple