2,267 results
All reviews canoe house mauna lani fish honu bar ocean front the big island free bikes ocean grill four seasons daily activities beach club terrace restaurant sea turtles breakfast buffet resort fee golf course fitness center
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I don't consider myself an all-inclusive-resort kind of guy. I would rather find things that are a bit off of the beaten trail than go with "safe" alternatives of large chains or resorts. That said, I found the Mauna Lani was a very pleasant surprise. The surroundings were quite nice, staff were accommodating, and the other guests seemed to have the same idea as us: quiet relaxation in a tropical paradise.
Now, for the catch: this hotel is extremely expensive. I would have a difficult time justifying an extended stay. My wife and I were here for two days and then moved to an amazing-for-other-reasons house near Waimea.
If you stay at Mauna Lani, make use of the snorkels and paddle boards that are included in the resort fee. The snorkeling is excellent in the southern end of the beach by the beach club. Watching sunset on the hammocks and then enjoying the stars after dark with a cocktail from the hotel bar (in a beach friendly plastic cup) should also not be missed.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2016

We stayed at Mauna Lani the first week of July. The property itself is quite nice, a little dated and in need of some touch ups. The rooms were nice and any location is a short walk to the beach. Service staff were friendly and attentive. We did the breakfast plan, which was excellent. Get there early for breakfast if you would like a seat right on the edge of the lawn, it's a beautiful view. The birds are annoying and swarm your plate if you leave food. The beach and pools were nice and quiet. The beach is a bit rocky, so I would bring water shoes to save your feet. There are nice cabanas with a canopy and there were always ones available. There were not a lot of kids (not much for them to do there), we were an adults only trip. We ate at the Canoe House, it was excellent. Food was wonderful and the view of the sunset was fantastic. Our only complaint would be housekeeping. Each day you are supposed to get 2 bottles of water and replenishment of coffee, etc. 4 out of the 7 days we were there, we had to call down to get water and coffee. There is also no ice machine - you have to call down to get it delivered. We would also have upgraded to a Garden or Ocean front view, we faced the parking lot. We didn't spend much time in the room, so it wasn't a big deal for us. The valet is included which was nice. They also offer shuttles to and from the Shops and Spa, you can also borrow bikes. Lastly, the wifi was not great but we didn't use it much anyways - we were on vacation! We had a wonderful, relaxing time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Garden/Ocean, get the breakfast plan, bring water shoes.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L M
Reviewed 16 July 2016

After the craziness of Maui and the Disneyland experience there, we wondered what awaited us on the big island. Mauna Lani was so nice that we breathed a huge sigh of relief when we walked in. They warned us that it was a busy time with July 4th and the turtle Independence Day when they release sea turtles that are mature enough to survive. It was busy, but nothing like where we stayed on Maui. People were having fun and the kids were great. There was plenty of room on the beach to sit and cabanas available at no extra charge. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room overlooked the pool and beach beyond. There are fish and turtle ponds that are fascinating. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom had two separate vanity areas which I loved and have never seen in a hotel before. I could spread out my lotions and potions without bothering my husband. We received a local paper on our door every morning. The breakfast buffet was included and was always good with lots of variety. We didn't eat at the fancy restaurant on site, but did have one dinner and lunch by the pool and it was just fine. There is a mini mall down the street with a Tommy Bahama including a restaurant as well as another restaurant called the Blue Room that had just opened and we enjoyed both of those. We also went down to Mauna Kea and went to Roy's which is always a great dining experience.

We had a nice relaxing time and my husband even got to play the golf course and had fun!

Room Tip: I think the hotel is set up with all rooms facing the beach.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2016 via mobile

Before we stayed at this hotel, I read all of the negative reviews. I read some of the positive reviews and that made me feel better. We LOVED this hotel. It is absolutely beautiful. When you are walking towards the entrance, there are Koi ponds on both sides of you and yes, there is a bit of a fish smell but it's not terrible and it doesn't last that long because there is almost always a breeze in Hawaii. The ponds are beautiful and the entrance is beautiful. The staff is friendly and you're offered necklaces and a drink with warm towels upon your arrival. We had a ground level oceanfront room and it was perfect. We had bathrobes and slippers. The bathrooms have two vanity style sinks, one with a seat under it. Loved. We were in one room the first night and the AC wasn't working. We called maintenance to look at it and they thought they fixed it but it wasn't. We let management know and they promptly sent us a few doors down to a matching oceanfront room but the AC was working great. They gave us a credit and sent people to get our bags to help us move to the next room. They made it very easy and stress free. The pool is so nice and big and there are 3 nice sized hot tubs with a great view of the ocean. Next to the pools is one of the hotels restaurants. At night they have live music and it's so relaxing. In the morning, we ate at one of the restaurants and we ate outside the first day, which just as a warning, it's outside so there are a ton of birds flying around and they will be on your table if you get up to go to the bathroom. I suggest eating indoors if that bothers you, they have tables inside the restaurant, it's all open to the outside and you get a great view without the birds. I would bring comfortable eye masks. The sliding doors are covered by a set of wooden sliding doors. In the morning the sun lightens up the room. I would wake up at 6-7 but I honestly didn't mind, I was able to go grab a cup of coffee from the coffee shop/bar in the hotel, sit out on the balcony and enjoy the view. We also got to the restaurant earlier and there wasn't a line (the lines were never bad it's just nice to not wait at all). The snorkeling was great but it's easier to snorkel where the beach house is. The beach off to the left, it's a little bit of a walk (not bad at all) but the water is deeper which makes for easier snorkeling. The staff was great, so friendly. Everything was easy and relaxing. Other than the problem with the AC that was promptly fixed we had no problems with the staff or hotel. We will always stay here when we visit the Big Island. Aside from the hotel, we loved our excursions. We did the 5 hr Zodiac tour and a volcano tour. Both were awesome. Other than that we relaxed and had a great time.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
6  Thank KElise2
Reviewed 15 July 2016

This place is truly magical. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, and the best part is that there are streams and ponds all over the property full of gorgeous tropical fish, small sharks, and BABY SEA TURTLES. Once the sea turtles are big and strong enough, they're released into the sea, and many of them just kind of hang out on the lava rocks just off the beach. I'm pretty sure my husband thought I'd completely lost my mind when I bounced out of bed early every morning and go snorkeling with these guys. So cool. The rooms are also really nice and the staff is super friendly and professional. The food is lovely and there are places to eat and shop very close by. You can also borrow a bicycle to explore. A truly magical and exceptional place!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple