2,268 results
All reviews canoe house mauna lani fish honu bar ocean front the big island free bikes ocean grill four seasons daily activities beach club terrace restaurant sea turtles breakfast buffet resort fee golf course fitness center
Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

I've been to the Hawaiian Islands five times (and counting!), and the Mauna Lani feels exactly like the type of hotel I'd always imagined there would be here.

Picturesque -- Koi fish and lily pads at the hotel entrance, turtles and a waterfall at the back pond, grassy knolls, walking trails and bridges, cabanas on the sand.

It's a massive property. They have activities every day, at almost every hour. I got to participate in beachside yoga for just $16. Also got to see green sea turtles who got released back into the ocean over the holiday!

Had a massage at the spa -- the best one ever, I have to add, as it was outside where I could hear the waves and birds and wind. It was something like like $240 maybe, but I got a discount for being a hotel guest.

Breakfast was delicious, hearty, lots of choices. Beautiful view from the restaurant. Service there and at the front desk were both amazing. They remembered us each morning and always shared the aloha spirit!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2016

I had an awful experience at this hotel. The rooms smell like someone has been smoking in them for years. They try to deodorize, but it's only masking smells that are baked into the walls, furniture, and floors. There is mold in the showers. The fixtures in the bathroom were all partially broken. The balcony does not have any lights, so if you go out there in the evening to relax, you won't see anything. The service is slow, and the manager lacks enthusiasm, charm, and basic understanding of how to accommodate frustrated guests. We luckily got to check out early. I do not recommend this hotel. It's worth mentioning that the Mauna Lani is a beautiful hotel architecturally, but a good management company needs to come in to bring it back to its original glory. So much potential.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
5  Thank MBOC
Reviewed 9 July 2016 via mobile

Love this place and plan to go back! Great all the way around. Wonderful setting, staff and Hawaiian cultural respect. I hope they can find a way to keep the birds out of the terrace food area. Brunch is amazing but being concerned about the birds landing on your plate isn't relaxing or really sanitary. And I'm not a germ freak. Probably better to just eat inside and enjoy the gorgeous view from there.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2016

We spent a week at this hotel. It is an older property but well maintained and the rooms are very pleasant and well appointed. With separate dual sinks, great air, balconies. The people are very pleasant and helpful. The shuttle takes you all over the property to the fitness club, the shopping center, the golf club, to the historic Hawaiian culture park located on the property. The BB was very complete and the breakfast area was very pleasant. The fitness center is a delight with gym, tennis courts, spa and a beautiful lap pool. The hotel supports a Hawaiian cultural center. Negatives are--there is no casual dining facility, you either have dinner at the pool side bar or go to the fancy and pricey Canoe House restaurant. They have pleasant live Hawaiian music in the mail lobby but you can't be served drinks there. The service at the prime restaurant is kinda spotty, they were not cooperative about serving cocktails so we could watch the sunset.Reception at the Canoe House was not the same as the rest of the hotel but the food was good (and expensive). It was a nice trip but don't forget the Hawaiian taxes on hotels and rental cars, really expensive.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which have views over the convention center
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

This was a fantastic resort - very different from the norm, with a very relaxed feel to accompany the beautiful surroundings and excellent service. The shoreline is one of the most interesting I've ever seen, with good swimming areas, nice beaches, rocky areas with tide pools, adjacent brackish water ponds stocked with fish, and interesting areas to explore. Napua, an easy walking distance along the shore to the Mauna Lani Beach Club, has amazing food right on the beach - highly recommend for a sunset dinner. The walk itself down to that excellent swimming and snorkeling beach is as worth it as the food is good. Rooms are spacious and quiet, wifi is fast, and other reviewers rightly rave about the bathrooms, which are set up with sinks back to back so two people can have their own space and get ready at the same time. It worked well for my party of 4 (husband and daughters 13 and 8).

Mauna Lani is as close to the beach as you can get - it is as if the outdoors is indoors. Beach and pool areas feel uncrowded, and it feels like there is much to do without leaving the resort. Fitness center is the best equipped hotel gym I've ever seen (and I stay about 75 nights a year in hotels). There is a lot of water at Mauna Lani, so I would keep an eye on little ones.

Comparisons: we visited the Fairmont Orchid and the Mauna Kea. Both were also very nice. Mauna Kea has a gorgeous white sand beach - larger than in front of Mauna Lani - down a couple flights of stairs from the hotel lobby. If accessibility is a problem for you (i.e., climbing lots of stairs) you may be better off not staying at Mauna Kea. The shoreline is fairly homogeneous - lacks the variation and interest of Mauna Lani in my opinion - but if you don't like rocky shorelines you might prefer the Mauna Kea. Fairmont Orchid was pretty and opulent, but didn't feel as "Hawaiian" to me. If you like fancy and opulent you might feel comfortable there, but to me it felt out of place, too formal for Hawaii, and it's beach felt crowded. Having visited the other two resorts, I would not stay at the Fairmont Orchid, would consider the Mauna Kea only if I could get a really good rate (and even then, I think I prefer the Mauna Lani), and would return to the Mauna Lani in a heartbeat. That being said, all three are very nice, and I can see how other folks might have different preferences.

My only complaint - and it's a big one - was the unsanitary conditions of their brunch. Birds hang out to steal food. At one point on our first day I counted at least 2 dozen birds on their omelet stand, looking for scraps. Birds fly indoors and steal food from buffet lines. Staff seems totally indifferent. I suspect the health department would feel otherwise.

Still, everything else far exceeded expectations and I give an overwhelming five star rating.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family