“Now known as The Abbey at Chesters - and under new ownership”
Review of Chesters Of Heafod Glen - CLOSED

Chesters Of Heafod Glen
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2018

My wife had recently visited with a ladies lunch group and were suitably impressed. The group intends going back again. It was a quiet day and we found the staff to be friendly and attentive. The food was great. We are aware the previous management had a not so great reputation. The facility caters for kids with playground equipment and I was happy to find that the music was not loud like many similar establishments. We certainly intend returning. The others had been there when it was in decline and today were suitably impressed. I would say, give them a go.

Reviewed 13 May 2018

After reading some of the other reviews I can see that we dodged a bullet. My husband was keen to try some of the Belgium beers on tap, but was disappointed with the prices - $13.50 for 300ml! Oh well, he was still willing to try but we were told that due to their licence we had to have a meal. As we weren't hungry, I asked if we could have some chips with the beer and the manager replied in a very rude tone that it "was not substantial." We walked out. Despite the rude service we were considering coming back for a pizza but after reading all the other bad reviews I doubt that we will. With all the other great places in the valley, it's unlikely that this place will last, which is a shame because it used to be good.

1  Thank HelenK_10
Reviewed 10 May 2018

ABSOLUTE 21st DISASTER. This is a copy of an email that I sent to this company on 23 April, 2018 inviting a response. To date there has been no response.

Good morning,

You are probably aware that there was a problem with my sons 21st at your venue yesterday afternoon.

I would like this email to be directed to your Manager or Owner with a response please.

Please refer to emails below confirming the booking and comments regarding food.

I reiterate that on booking, we were NOT informed of liquor licence regulations at your venue. Had I been informed of this back in January when I personally came in, we would not have booked your venue. As stipulated at the time of booking and again by email, I had organised guests to dine earlier in the day at another establishment.

When I booked, I advised that this would be the last venue after a wine tour of 3 other venues. At no stage was the event ‘sugar coated’. I understand that the guests had been drinking alcohol, but as a venue accepting a booking at 4.00pm for a 21st birthday for 50 people should have known what to expect.

The person my son and step children dealt with yesterday, was apparently very rude, obnoxious and confrontational. My step daughter called me to confirm that the booking was made on the premise of drinks only. I asked several times to speak to the person in charge and when finally the phone was handed over, I was conveniently cut off. I then called the establishment six times on 9296 3444, unable to get through. I appreciate that emotions were charged with the added fuel of alcohol, but had someone taken the time to call me or even read the emails confirming the booking this could have been avoided. My children and guests had no choice but to leave the premises when treats of ‘calling the police’ were made.

It was such a shame that a memorable event was ruined at the end of the day, by a venue unable to provide what was promised at booking, drinks only.

I am not questioning liquor licencing or the rules, but the decision your establishment made to accept the booking on the proviso of drinks only. The manner in which the situation was handled yesterday, in particular by the Manager or one of your staff was rude and outrageous.

All guests had a fabulous time with Go Party Bus and the other venues, and this will be reflected in reviews on their websites and Facebook. Reviews however, will not be favorable with Cellar Door – The Abbey. I have also written to Go Party Bus outlining my complaint and suggesting that they no longer visit your venue.

My husband and I have dined at your establishment a few times, and in addition to losing the business of 50 party goes and their family and friends from yesterday, you have also lost our business and extended network of friends, business colleagues and family.

I await your reply.

Thank you.

3  Thank Donna C
Reviewed 17 April 2018

We now have come here a number of times in recent months; and now (as I understand) it is under new ownership, with the restaurant now called 'The Abbey'. Things have changed dramatically. You order and pay at the counter, and get a buzzer, when the buzzer 'buzzes' you collect your meals. Gone is the table service! This is not good.
Many of the prior waitstaff that was there when it was a good venue - sadly have gone and so has the service. The food was average and nothing to rave about.

Why change something that wasn't broken!

Not impressed!

1  Thank Garth R
Reviewed 17 April 2018

We hadn't been to Chesters, now the Abbey, at Heafod Glen for some time & as it was a glorious day we decided to take a jaunt to the valley, taste some more superb Heafod wines then laze over a delicious lunch. The former of course was still superb, the latter shockingly bad.
The wines are still amazing and worth going only for that.
The restaurant is apparently under new ownership.
I guess we should have been alerted to the lack of cars & did pass comment on this but thought maybe it was a tad early so perhaps the lunchtime rush was yet to come tho other places along the road were hopping?
The restaurant seemed rather hap hazard this time & barely any people, though more did come in. We got seated straight away, perused over the menu & waited for our order to be taken. It was only after I noticed people going inside with their menu's that we realized we now had to order at the counter. We thought this strange for an expensive upmarket restaurant but then realized by the menu that it had changed & so appeared to be more casual dining, still with a fairly hefty price tag.
We shared the $30 Antipasto platter of a selection of cheeses, salami, olives, bread sticks and sun dried pesto: 4 slices of Coles style Hungarian salami; jarred olives (perhaps fresh but looked like All Fresh olives); 1/2 small wheel of cheap Coles style Camembert; 2 small flat triangles of Coon like cheese; 1 small wedge of tub philly cheese with chilli; some questionable looking chicken wing bites; some cheap & very red chorizo , Coles style pesto from a jar plus some Jatz & water crackers, a few slices of dried bread & 2 pretzels.
I could have made better at home, even using Coles produce, so absolutely No excuse for the cheap & nasty in a good restaurant!!
As we were still hungry & still had a nice bottle of wine we thought perhaps a wood fired pizza would be better so ordered the $23 Abbey Supreme of red onion, capsicum, mushroom, olives, ham, cheese, chorizo & pepperoni. What we got was okay but nothing stellar for the price: 3 slices capsicum & a sprinkle of other stuff & again cheap chorizo all on a thin base like Lebanese bread. Perhaps home-made but it was hard to tell?
There was one person on the till taking orders so you had a long wait just to get your order in and another long wait just to pay at the end! I wonder how many walk outs & runners they get??
It was sad as this once was a fabulous restaurant with excellent food, excellent surrounds & a delightful day out but I would never recommend anyone going here now except for the wines. If they continue to serve food like this they will go out of business very quickly!

1  Thank Jennifuz