1,488 results
All reviews pineapple house ralph lauren infinity pool semi private pool private villa montego bay villa staff the cottages spa area platinum plan every morning fitness center jamaican night kids club water sports tennis courts beach bar
Reviewed 5 August 2008

My wife and I have been coming back to Round Hill for four years now. We now try to go in January for about 5 days and again in the summer for 10 days or so. We find the resort to be perfect for us. The staff is extraordinary, warm and kind. This is not the kind of place where the staff is looking to do odd things like spray you with Evian mist while you sit on the beach. Rather the staff is attentive in an appropriate and genteel manner. The result is you feel welcome and at home. And really when you rent a villa you are in a home. The villas are private homes each with a different personality and decor. We actually have favorite members of the Round Hill staff who we look forward to seeing at each visit. While I would say that Round Hill is not for everyone, its not glitzy or flashy, but from our vantage point it is just perfect. Make sure you go on the garden tour which is offered once a week and be sure to have lunch once or twice on the spa lawn (only during the high season). Also, the spa staff is just awesome. What makes the spa experience so special is the fact that it is housed in a former private home so it doesn't have that cookie cutter spa thing going. Actually, there is nothing cookie cutter about Round Hill in any respect. It is a unique place and we plan to return again and again.

2  Thank jimneworleans
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We just got back from Round Hill. Three of us, my daughter, my grandchild and me. We mixed up our travel transfer at the airport (our fault) and wound up paying for a very over priced taxi, but again, our fault. Upon arrival the front desk people could not have been less concerned about our mistake and informed us they would not be paying for the taxi. We had booked a second floor room at the Pineapple House, which is supposed to have a great view of the Carriabean Sea. That was verified by the lackluster front desk people but they said the room was not ready so "go do something until it is." The concierge took us down the main path and told us where everything was. We decided to eat lunch and met a great waiter, our favorite, Conrad. We were seated at the only restaurant in the resort, outside, and Conrad was very courteous about moving the many umbrellas around so we would be in the shade. About 92 degrees when we got there. Our food was mediocre but the price was astoudningly high. There are no free refillls by the way, except for water.

We were taken by the concierge to the Pineapple House, but to a first floor room. He said it had a balcony and that's what most people wanted even though that is not what we had specifically requested. We went into the room and it indeed had a balcony, not much of a view and the people in the balcony right next to us were smoking up a storm. We let the concierge know we could not stay in a room where everything smelled like smoke and wondered why we did not get a second floor room as requested. Were they overbooked? He said he would "check" and we were taken to a second floor room. Upon opening the door, the foliage outside the shuttered window in the room had literally overgrown the window so that all you could see were green leaves. By this time we were all soaked in sweat and we asked what happened to rooms with views, as seen and shown on the brochures. He then took us to a third room, after much rolling of the eyes, on the second floor and finally we had a nice view of the beautiful sparkling Carribean Sea. We took it. Our housekeeper, Nadine, was very nice and kept our room clean and tidy. Had to lay a towel across the base of the door every night to keep the lizards and bugs out. Don't forget or you'll be sorry!!!!

The resort has one pool, an infinity pool. Very nice pool but it is directly in front of the Pineapple House, overlooking the Carribean Sea, which was breathtakingly beautful, however, you could hear everything anyone would say, the pool attendants, the nannies, the children, the guests, anyone, from our room from first thing in the morning until it got really dark. One pool attendant looked like he wanted to kill someone (literally) and we never saw him smile even though we would always say good morning. The other pool attendant, David Norman, at least said hello. The pool was very relaxing, great views, and clean. Surrounded by beautiful vegetation and we saw many, many little lizards scurrying about as well as crabs near the pool's edge facing the sea.

The beach area was very small but the resort is small and usually did not seem crowded. There are two beach bars but only one was set up. The drinks were way overpriced and as I said, there are no free refills for soda. The beach bar attendants were as well very uneven in their service. Some were very friendly and some were downright nasty. Customer service training is in desperate need for the staff. Very uneven service.

The beach was mostly sandy, with some small rocky areas. Water was warm and clear. We snorkeled every day and saw lots of beautiful sealife. The water sport staff seemed eco-concscious. We especially liked the two guys who took people out on the small glass bottom boat, Hercules and Hulk! Very friendly and very educational. Some water sports are included in the fee for your room, like the glass bottom boat, snorkeling, the one windsurfer. Any motorized sports are not included.

The grounds were lovely and well maintained but we noticed hardly anyone as much as lifted their head or spoke to us when we passed by. We were always saying good morning to them and only then would they speak back.

Apparently from time to time some famous people stay there and a family from Europe arrived while we were there. It was amazing to see the difference in the staff. This family was treated with such deference it was almost nauseating. The same people who did not even say good morning to us or most of the other guests were falling all over themselves to speak to this family, children as well.

The business center and the library room were musty smelling. The veranda attached to the check-in/check-out center reeked of cat spray. It was gagging. One night a cat was below our window hollering something awful. We mentioned it to the front desk and they seemed completely unconcerned about that. Said cats wander onto the resort all the time (obviously).

The breakfast buffet was the best part of the meals we ate there. A decent variety of breakfast foods, great coffee and tea, wonderful hot croissants. Lunch and dinner menu never changed and was very expensive. It would be one thing if the food were worth it but truly, it was not. There was a Jamaican night on Friday where all kinds of local foods were served. Very tasty but very spicy. We heard a nice steel band one night. Lots of European guests there who are NOT fond of Americans. We are not stupid and when they made their occasional off handed degrading comments about Americans we all heard them.

We did not utilize the spa there and so cannot comment.

We met some lovely, friendly guests there. All in all the best part of Round Hill was the setting itself. The beautiful sea, the wonderful variety of sealife, the beautiful flowers and birds. The service was very uneven. The food was way overpriced (get the meal plan if you can - we are sorry we did not) and not very good except for great red snapper wraps. Take the time to go snorkeling every day if you like that sort of thing. Take bug spray - you'll need it (both for yourself and your room). Don't take any BS from the desk and demand what you reserved (when we were there about 1/3 of the resort was empty-not surprising). The service, food and worn common areas are unequal to the high end dollar they charge.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank Disappointingresort
Reviewed 5 August 2008

Round Hill exceeded our very highest expectations!
Cozy, clean and classy beach area was well-tended and adjacent a terrific bar. There was plenty of seating and even shade, if you wanted it.
Our villa (#28) was beautiful and breezy with a terrific view of the ocean and the bay. Service in the villa was prompt and always curteous, as were the electric cart drivers, who took us anywhere on the grounds. Breakfast cooked in our villa by the staff was the high point of each and every day!
The main restaurant and bar were beautiful and located directly on the ocean. The food was very good with plenty of selections. The wine list was ample and fairly priced.
We had a ball!

Date of stay: May 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Round Hill Hotel and Villas was perfection. The service was impeccable. The food incredible.The personnel were friendly and so respectful. The hotel room in the pineapple house was simple but elegant. The view from the our window was incredible. The rooms have just been redecorated in the simple but elegant way that only Ralph Lauren can do it. Hotel was 370 usd a night for a big room and king bed..The room also has a sitting area with a couch and chair for comfort.

The spa is relaxing and has everything from facials to massages. I had a facial 75 minutes for 135 dollars. Reasonable I thought The staff surely knows there skin care. Private rooms for all treatments and a calm approach is a way of life.

Food is either all inclusive or ala carte or a combo of both.All inclusive is the way to go. Great menu to choose from. Lobster is a daily choice on the menu..Menu changes are made daily and if you dont see it on the menu I bet they can get it for you!!!!! Gratuity included in the 170 usd a day per person. All beverages including alcohol and all those great fruity drinks seaside included. Snorkeling right off the beach and all snorkel equipment and sea kayaks included. You can rent a hobie cat or go water skiing, tubing or other activities for a fee. Snorkeling off the beach was great. Tons of fish and great reefs to explore.They do have afternoon tea daily if you want it on the veranda.

Not sure if your single or looking for a wild and crazy time that this is the place for you.. Montego bay is about a 20 minute drive away..We went for much needed rest and relaxation. You will be pampered for sure.

We did go in July. It was warm but the breezes are wonderful. The rooms have ceiling fans however each room h as it own air conditioning unit if one would need it..They have the wonderful turn down service each night with room cleaning at this time again if needed. I never once saw the person who cleaned my room either in the am or at night..It just sort of happens!!!!

I did not stay in the villas however based on what I could see that would be a great family vacation.

The staff have been there for 10 20 30 40 years. They make every effort to make the vacation what you want it to be. I cant wait to go back. It truly is a little heaven on earth.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2008

*** PLEASE READ ENTIRE DESCRIPTION! ***
Also see pictures!

This was our second stay at Round Hill and I am still impressed by the workers, service, food & beauty of it all! We stayed for 8 days at Round Hill and it was one of the most memorable times of our lives... Lets start with when you checkin.

You are warmly greeted by a handful of friendly & outgoing staff who promptly take care of your luggage & bags. The conciegre man "Kingsly" who has been with Round Hill for over 35 years is a definite favorite and if you need anything at all; he's the man to talk to! Look out for him, he's always wearing his bright blue suit lol. Checkin is very smooth and once you walk through the main lobby of Round Hill, you will have a view of their private little beach! Kingsly will take you to your room & show you so of the attractions on the Resort grounds.

The Pineapple room we stayed in was so very nice. You have a king sized bed (see pictures), a lounge area to look outside your ocean view window. The bathroom is spacious also. HUGE bath tub, a wonderful "rain shower" shower, his and her sinks... Just wonderful (see pics).

For those of you with children, there is the Pineapple Kids club! This is an activities center where parents can drop their children off (ages 3 & up) to go and have some adult fun or alone time. For parents who have children under 3, you can hire a nanny from the resort! The women at Round Hill are so good and attentive with the children. We hired a nanny to wtch our 3 & 1/2 yr old daughter while we went to the Reggae Sum Fest and she was so awesome with her. For nanny services they charge $12/hr (& $15/hr after midnight). Also, every year during the month of July, Round Hill offers a free Pineapple Kids Tennis Clinic! This year there was a big turn out (between 10-15 kids)!

Now lets talk about the rooms... we stayed in the Pineapple house again (the cheapest room you can book, basically lol). We had an upstairs bungalo room and we had an awesome view of the ocean & vegetation around the "edgeless pool". YES! They have an awesome edgeless pool. They also have a baby pool area for young ones (1 ft deep). Might I also add, the private beach & edgeless have lifegaurds on duty at all times!

When you go to the beach or pool & choose the lounge chair to put your items down, the lifegaurd will get you a towel. I know... impressive huh? lol. There is always someone coming to the pool area to ask if you'd like something to drinkk also. Lounge chairs line up along the walk way from the pool/pool bar to the beach. Lots of shade if you just want to sit & read a book at the beach or pool.

Food at Round Hill...OMG! The food here is OUT OF THIS WORLD deeeeeelicious! I think I gained 3lbs in a week from eating so good lol. They have different "meal plans" to choose from if you go to their website & book (or here, i think?). I would definetly choose the meal plan with breakfast, lunch & dinner! They also offer free afternoon tea & snacks between 4-5:30 during the day. I must say though, my favorite meal was breakfast. As you walk into the dining area, you are geeted by Mr or Mrs.(last name). BTW, EVERY MEAL is sat down overlooking the ocean (literally, its 10 ft away!). The breakfast is great. There is a chef who cooks your eggs or makes an omlette how ever you please, fresh fruit, cereals, cheeses, pancakes, sausages, bacon and so on...etc. My husband loves the Blue Mountain coffee they serve & I loved their iced tea (with the liquid sugar!).

My second favorite meal is Dinner... and oh how creative Round Hill is EVERY NIGHT is different! Monday is "dinner on the beach" night. They clear the entire beach and set up tables, chairs & tiki torches. You literally have dinner on the beach & sand. At our table, my husband was 1 ft away from the water rushing up on the sand lol. It was so romantic too. Ever dinner is candle lit. They also have a live reggae band playing 5 days out of the week. So dinner... the will have a huge buffet for you to choose from. So much food to feast on, its insane! Lobster tails, pork, ribs, chicken, fish, pastas, salads, cheeses, fruit, veges, sweets, cakes, cookies!!!!!

Activities at Round Hill... Definitely talk to Watersports! Every day they offer a free "glass bottom boat" ride for guests @ 9:30am. Take the kids, they'll love it! Also, snorkeling, kayaking & sailing their "hobikat" is free for guests. Snorkeling is great in the bay. We also went kayaking, our daughter loved it too. They also offer water sking, water rafting (where they pull you on a big flotation thingy), scuba instruction & diving & so on...

Tennis at Round HIll... Round Hill has 5 hard tennis courts. Very nice tennis courts might I add! If you wanna good workout & burn that cake you ate the night before from dinner, lol.

Spa/gym/tranquility area... Round Hill also has a spa. They offer a full salon (hair, nails, waxing...) and massages. I got a massage when I was there. It's a little pricey but the massage was good. I think they charged $95 for a 50 minute massage. The also have a nice little gym if you feel the need to "get pumped up". Last year I went to the salon & got my hair braded lol. I got some beads put in too, it ws about $85. But it looked so cool! I seen alot of little girls had got it done this year.

Like I said before, every night is different at Round Hill. On Friday nights is "Jamaican Night". Where they have a crew of performers come a little after everyone's done eating to dinner. The put on a really great show!!! Our daughter was so into it, she loved it & so were the other children there. On I think... Wednesday night was the Invitation night. Where they formally invite you personally by letter to your room to a cocktail party. This is to meet the staff. Lets see... I don't want to forget anything lol... Oh yes... I cannot forget my main man Perry. He is a driver for Round Hill and he was very helpful. If you ever want to see outside of Round Hill and go to a nice beach, he can take you.

I hope you choose Round Hill. It should be the only place to stay in Montego Bay. It is unbelievable but when you go, you will believe lol. Some people may say it is too expensive or "over rated" but I totally disagree, its worth it! Trust me! I'm going again next year!!! ENJOY!

• Trip type: Travelled with family