Open today: 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Tanjung Puting National Park
from USD 325.00
More Info
All reviews proboscis monkeys the river tanjung puting pangkalan bun an amazing experience klotok boat natural environment day tour camp leakey local guide tour operator an adventure an absolute boat crew mosquito net spent days two nights
Reviewed 31 March 2018

It was a beautiful cruise. You can see orangutans from very nearby although the majority are still rescued orangutans that are used to people. The others may be further away and shy towards humans.

We even saw an orangutan crossing us in the jungle, staring at us when he stopped in front for a while! Our guide adviced us very well how to behave, and the situation never felt dangerous because of that.

It is a beautiful tour and I recommend it highly. The only thing that bothered me were some tourists that didn't respect the environment and were very loud. Therefore, the jungle treks a bit further in the jungle are really recommended as that brings you away from the tourism. Not all guides know the jungle trails, so make sure you are hire an experienced guide, which is difficult to select when you you are there. Therefore, I recommend to book your tour in advance.

Local-guides.org organised this tour very well for us. Our guide was very respectful towards us throughout the whole time. He found a great balance between socializing with us, and respecting our privacy. He really took time in explaining nature around the area and also the behaviour of orangutans and other species. You could see that he and the staff on the boat went an extra mile to make us feel really comfortable during the tour. This human element was really an important factor to this beautiful experience for us! But also the delicious food and clean boat. I like to thank local-guides for this!

So I recommend visiting tanjung puting national park to everyone, and advice you to pick your guide carefully!

Date of experience: January 2018
3  Thank Rida A
Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Wow! Just about sums it up really! We booked with Jenie because we had read good things online beforehand and we weren’t disappointed, we were travelling in Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore for 3 weeks and this was probably the best bit, certainly the most memorable anyway. It is a bit of a logistical nightmare to get here but I can assure you it’s worth it.

We flew into Pangkalan bunn from Yogyakarta via Jakarta, we arranged to be met and taken to the boat from the airport before hand and there was a taxi waiting for us. We got onto the boat and were served lunch (it was some kind of satay dish and was probably up there with the best thing we ate the whole trip) while they sorted out our passes etc for the National Park. Jenie came onto the boat and spoke to us for a while telling us about the area, the orangutans, himself etc, a really nice and fascinating man, it’s a shame that we couldn’t spend more time with him but I gather he doesn’t do any / many trips himself anymore as he has other things to do and teaches other locals to do the job, which is great.

Jenie’s cousin Sandi was our tour guide and the rest of the crew were also family which was nice.

Anyway we got going and sailed up the river to the first feeding station. We were quite lucky I think as we saw lots of orangutans at each station. Sandi accompanied us to each station with a plentiful supply of water (believe me it was needed) and was there if we had any questions but otherwise let us get on with it, we could take as long or as short as we wanted. The first night was a beautiful sunset and we saw probiscus monkeys just before dusk.

The second day we did the second and third feeding stations, each one was probably a 10 - 15 mins walk from the boat. All the parts of the jungle you walk through seem to be quite well trodden paths and are free of leaves etc that creepie crawlies hide under if you are worried about that. I think the second feeding station was my personal favourite as you were very close and it was quite thick jungle around it so it was very atmospheric.

The food was incredible, lovely dishes all prepared fresh and loads of it, we wanted for nothing.

The feeding stations were obviously the highlight but I enjoyed just being on the boat, being so hot and sticky it’s a lovely breeze when the boat gets going. Sandi was excellent and came up and talked to us a lot about the area and just life in general, Jenie was teaching him English and he was keen to use it and was very good although I think our Scottish accents were a challenge for him sometimes!

The second night we were treated to the sight of fireflies after sunset. The morning of the third day we sailed back to the town and Sandi accompanied us back to the airport. A highly enjoyable and memorable three days, I can’t recommend it enough.

As a general point, I booked with Jenie due to the positive reviews I had seen and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him and his team but I don’t think you could go far wrong with any of them to be honest. The majority of the boats looked similar, some had comfier looking beds / chairs etc and others less. Some of the bigger ones obviously did larger parties and you did get some “fancy” looking ones but the majority were like Jenie’s one (I believe he has 2). Your area is the top deck of the boat, it has a dining area at the back, open area with deck chairs at the front and the middle bit is where they set up your bed at night. It’s simple but clean and comfortable. For amenities it has a toilet at the back (western style) a shower and a wash hand basin with soap. There is power for charging phones / cameras too which was good.

As a final note if you are pondering how long to go for most folk do the 2nights 3days tour which I think is plenty.

Date of experience: September 2017
7  Thank Duart88
Reviewed 15 March 2018

We booked our unforgettable borneo orangutan tour with Local-Guides. I have never been in such awe of the natural wildlife and weather before in my life. I have never seen rain as heavy as what we encountered, and even that didn’t prevent this from being a true highlight.
The further we went up the river the more there was to see. The first wild Orangutan we saw gave me goose bumps. This trip makes you revaluate your life and enjoy the simple things. This is an adventure and not a luxury holiday (although the food is wow wow wow so good!). A good camera is an absolute must!!!
Sal was so thoughtful as to advise us to bring a bottle of wine with us, because it was me and my partner’s anniversary and alcohol cannot be bought in Pangkalan bun (but is not prohibited). This was the best tip ever! So romantic to drink wind with sunset in the lounge area of the klotok with only the jungle around!!!

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank anniecaedwards
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

last year i travelled sumatra, bukit lawang
it was amazing too. but not totally natural.
and little hard to walk into jungle.
tanjung puting national park is different. it is very easy to watch the orangutan.
just ride klotok(traditional boat) through the river. cook made food, snack, etc
only bad point is mosquito and humidity(high)
go! now.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank changmino
Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Adie and co looked after us so well. They were engaged and you could tell he totally loved his job. Appreciate the conversations and would totally recommend Jenie’s boats to see Tianjin Puting National Park.

Date of experience: February 2018