Lowest prices for your stay
USD 150
Hotels.com
USD 150
Agoda.com
USD 32
PricelineUSD 45
CheapTicketsUSD 150
TravelocityUSD 150
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I stayed for only one night (thankfully) at Samet Ville Resort on Koh Samet after a friend told me that is where he normally stays if he wants to get away from the hustle and bustle of Koh Samet.

The resort is on an isolated bay around 5km from the main tourist area along what can be loosely described as a road, but more accurately a dirt/rock/gravel track cut through the island. We hired a motorcycle to make this trip and although I own a motorcycle in Thailand this going was very tough and at times dangerous. Particularly in the dark. I literally felt sick upon arrival at the resort. The resort is the only one in the immediate area so you really have no choice but to stay there when you get there and you also have no other choices when it comes to eating and drinking.

In terms of eating and drinking, the breakfast, while included in the room price, is bordering on inedible unless you have recently been released from prison. The food in the restaurant was edible but ridiculously priced for Thai food and the service is slow. The outside eating area is shabby and unmaintained in line with the rest of the resort.

The rooms, however, are the worst part of the resort. The rooms are small, decrepit, poorly decorated, poorly maintained, dirty and ridiculously overpriced. I paid almost 1800 baht for one night in an air conditioned bungalow. In addition to my previous comments; the room was equipped with two single beds pushed together but not of equal heights, flithy, flimsy curtains which did not fit the windows, furniture out of the 70s, an air conditioner which hummed like a helicopter, a small tv with 3 Thai channels, a dirty bathroom with foul smelling water and a safe that didn't work. This is the most expensive and worst room I have stayed in during my 4 years living in Thailand.

The only redeeming feature of this resort is the bay which is isolated with very few people, clean and picturesque. I guess for first time visitors to Thailand it is very beautiful, but for me it is just 'nice'.

My girlfriend and I had to convince ourselves that the room rate was 300 baht and the view 1500 baht!

Do yourself a favour, rent a nice new room in the tourist area, close to a wide selection of restaurants, bars and travel opportunities. If you want a nice isolated beach you can always travel to one for the afternoon. DO NOT STAY AT SAMET VILLE RESORT.

Date of stay: September 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Blindinbothears
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I only read the reviews of this resort after we had been! I agree with some of the points, it was very basis, but then again it is a small Thai island so that is what I expected. The rooms were clean but yes the decor wasn't the best. The staff were lovely in the restaurant and service was good. No waiting at all for food, hot, well cooked food arrived within 10 mins of ordering. It was a bit "out of town" and you did have to travel along a dirt track to get back into town, but for my 9 year old son this was a delight - on the back of a truck being bumped around was the highlight. We didnt feel we were ripped off by the resort, we booked a days boat trip which was 600B each which we thought was expensive but when we compared this to prices in other areas it was about right. Food was probably a little more expensive than the more busy areas but not that much more, and every where you go you tend to pay more when more isolated so we didnt mind. . As for the beach being full of rubbish - a tourist boat delivered some people to the beautuful beach one morning and when they left a few hours later they left alll their rubbish in plastic bags on the beach. Within a few mins this had been cleared away by the staff. As a family we have travelled alot and I would say we have realistic expectations, no this resort wasnt luxury but we had 3 nights and really enjoyed it.

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank ratchadaBangkok
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Really wish we had consulted Tripadvisor before venturing to this place. We booked last minute for the weekend (thankfully not longer) through a local travel agent in Bangkok. I can only endorse the comments by previous reviewers - hugely overpriced, shabby furniture and decor, dour staff, inedible breakfast and yes, we also experienced the joys of bed bugs (my first time in over 25 years of budget and not-so-budget travelling). Bad, bad, bad! A real shame, as Koh Samet is a lovely island and I had great memories of a previous trip there.

Date of stay: July 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank VickyTBangkok
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed here because it was the only place available on the island during a 3-day weekend. The bungalow we stayed in wasn’t too bad – the room was clean but way overpriced. We paid 1300 baht for a fan and cold water. You could get the same room on Koh Phangan for about 400 baht.

The beach – it’s just okay. Not great. There aren’t many people here, which is good but the water here just isn’t that nice. The main part has dirty water because of the trees that grow in front of the beach, and the end of the beach (which is more picturesque) has rocks a few feet in which make swimming difficult. Also, don’t expect to see any fish or coral.

The restaurant – Way overpriced. I live in Thailand so I know how much things should be, and this place was expensive even by resort standards. 70 baht for a baked potato, 120 baht for an omelet, 400 baht for fish, any curry is 150 baht minimum. A piece of corn is 45 baht! A large Heineken will set you back 120 baht. There’s no other place around so this is your only choice for food. Service is horrible – we waited 2 hours for our food to arrive, which they had forgotten. They use a computer system to input orders, but the problem is that none of the staff know how to use it, so it breaks down every few hours, creating a backlog of food orders.

The free breakfast – not the best. Fried eggs and cheap sausages. Minimal fruit and some mini pancakes. And of course fried rice.

My advice – spend the extra hour on the minivan and go to Koh Chang instead where it’s cheaper and more relaxed.

Date of stay: March 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jason H
Reviewed 12 January 2010

the resort was recommended by a friend, who had stayed there several years ago. Well, maybe it was nice at that time... it certainly felt as if the place was not properly cleaned since then. My "cottage" was a dingy wooden hut with a dirty plastic shower curtain at the window, the TV broken, the bathroom was outright disgustingly dirty; I won't go into details as it may turn your stomach. The room was "cleaned" only in the late afternoon. No furniture on the terrace.

They had neither beach towels nor mats nor anything and plainly didn't care to make one's stay comfortable. The staff was not in the least motivated and some were downright unfriendly. The breakfast was dumped on a large table with a dingy cover underneath; no refills.

One morning the whole beach was covered in plastic rubbish - obviously a load of rubbish had gone lost - nobody cared to clean the stuff up.

the only good thing to say is that the location is quite nice - a large beach, splendidly green - but then you can find this anywhere else on the island too.

Date of stay: January 2010