“Good location but needs work done”
Review of Panorama Hotel

Panorama Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Mellieha
Reviewed 3 November 2017 via mobile

I visited the Panorama in October and to be honest I was not blown away with it. The hotel has a fantastic location with probably the best view of the bay, staff were mostly friendly & helpful. However the hotel leaves much to be desired, reception area pool & restaurant look ok but the rooms corridors & lift need refurbishment & soon (I heard it was closing but I cannot confirm that) beds & linen were very poor, bathroom ok but shower reminded me of my mums in the 1980’s. Tv was of no use because I don’t speak German or Maltese. As for breakfast they keep the fresh bread on top of the toaster so it goes dry, then doesn’t brown even after twice through. No real variety either (bacon one day sausage the next) all over cooked. I could go on but it would be a shame because it just needs some updating & more thought into breakfast to be really nice, I would go again if I knew these issues were addressed.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2017

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL !
The room was not very clean the toilet smelled of urine constantly also the sound of water running through soil pies constantly , the toilet seat had a crack which developed into a peace breaking off, this was not prepared at all. we watched the cleaner go from room to room with a bucket of dirty black mop water ! Also an electrical buzzing noise in the room from the aircon unit which was not on ! The food was terrible too !
We booked ourselves into another hotel after two days as couldn't stand it any longer. the lady on the desk was lovely which a shame as there was nothing she could do as her words were ;we dont have a house keeper to check on the cleaners !

Room Tip: Dont stay here ! No sun at the pool at any time of day ! Read my review !
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2017

IN BRIEF: I stayed at the Panorama in 2015 and had such a good walking holiday that I chose to return to the Panorama in November 2016 for another walking holiday. My comments on my 2015 stay at the Panorama apply equally well to my 2016 stay - “I had a splendid walking holiday. I like the hotel’s location and I like its architecture. Meals were excellent. The staff were helpful and courteous. My room was very pleasant. My holiday was an 11 night half board package holiday booked with Chevron. I felt I got very good value for my money”. The main difference between my two stays was that the Panorama was busier in 2016.

ROOM: I initially had a twin room on the first floor. It was above the bar and near to the stairs. It had plenty of storage space. Decor was ‘cool’ white. The view from the balcony was, of course, splendid. Unfortunately, while most of the guests could enjoy the entertainment in the bar, I had emails to attend to and the sound from the bar (not so much the entertainers, more the guests having a really good time) was somewhat distracting to me. I asked if I could move to another room. Maria at Reception willingly listened to my request and a few hours later I was in a room on the fourth floor at the opposite end of the hotel from the bar. This room had a side balcony but I still had the splendid view. Once again there was plenty of storage space. Decor was ‘warm’ grey with a red painting on the wall. Overall, it was a lovely room and I am grateful to Maria for arranging my change of room at short notice.
Both rooms had a plentiful supply of shower gel and all the rooms I’ve had at the Panorama have had showers rather than baths. Both rooms had televisions.

FOOD: Breakfast and dinner were buffet meals and were to an excellent standard. I was never stuck for choice.

DINING ROOM: I liked this room because it was light and airy. It occupies a corner location and is “L” shaped. The buffet counter is in the short part of the “L” and the seating area in the long part of the “L” looking out towards Mellieha Bay. The external wall of the seating area consists of sliding glass doors that open directly onto the terrace which has tables and chairs nearby. In my previous (2015) stay it didn’t take me long to appreciate that breakfast on the terrace was a lovely way to start the day. During this (2016) stay I couldn’t so easily go outside with my breakfast because the hotel was busier and the tables close to the sliding glass doors were usually occupied. I didn’t find the dining room full such that I had to go away and return later to get a table.

STAFF: They were pleasant, considerate, courteous and helpful. I appreciate that a hotel is based on team work so I rarely single out anyone for praise but in this instance I am going to single out Maria on Reception. She was always cheerful and helpful as illustrated by the way she arranged for me to move to another room.

LOCATION: If you are new to Malta then you may not appreciate that Mellieha Town is not the same as Mellieha Bay. The Panorama Hotel is located in Mellieha Town. It is approximately 90m above Mellieha Bay and the walk from the hotel to Mellieha Bay is approximately 1.5km. The hotel is conveniently close to the main road for shops and bus routes without being close enough for traffic noise to be intrusive.

WOULD I RETURN TO THE PANORAMA HOTEL? Definitely. Its accommodation is very pleasant, the food and dining room are lovely and the staff are superb.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 October 2017

Going home hungry and dissapointed, the only hope is that it closes November for refurbishment but think the damage is done... If I give it one star I am exaggerating . Such a shame as it is in great location in summer but winter sun does not hit the hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2017

we arrived in the morning on 6 october and lady from reception Maria start screaming that we will not stay there, they didn't have rooms but they make booking for a lot of people and after they send people to other hotels. it's SCAM. this hotel is very expensive on the site where we usual book, around 90 euros for one night, so they take money and they send you to very cheap hotel who cost 25 eu for night, so they make extra profit on this way. we went even in police but nothing happen. i contact web site where i made booking and nothing. so i pay 650 euros for 7 nights, and i get hotel of 175 euros in Bugibba, 7 km away from Mellieha and 7 km away from good beach. just don't book here you will have same experience as everybody.

Room Tip: don't book this hote, they still money and they will send you in cheap hotel in bugibba far away...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellieha
0.5 km away
2.7 km away
Porto Azzurro
Porto Azzurro
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Panorama Hotel? Share your experiences!