“A real Austrian gem :)”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stopped in Kufstein on a whim on a journey to Kitzbühel from Munich airport, and selected this restaurant solely on its TripAdvisor reviews. Although the route Google Maps took us on was a bit suspiciously “back-street,” we walked past the Kufstein Fortress, descended into a very attractive cobbled street and knew we were onto a winner. The door to Batzenhausl isn’t very promiment, so you have to be brave and barge right in. We got a table for 4 with no problem, and were immediately taken by all the kitsch Austrian decoration: mugs and tankards and placards and all manner of knickknacks from over history. We were served by wonderful staff throughout, who enjoyed my attempts at speaking German. Before we’d even started dinner, we were brought warm pretzels and some paprika dip, which was an excellent starter for 4 hungry, plane-tired people!
The food was delicious for all: späztl for my boyfriend; liver for my parents and a light, garlic/mushroom/bacon tagilatelle for me. It was all beautifully cooked and was served in hearty quantities. Pudding was also delicious – I definitely recommend the chocolate Törtchen, which melted as you spooned into it.
The highlight of our meal, however, was the chaos of a large party sat in the downstairs dining area; they were drinking shots from the cantilever machine, singing Austrian folk songs and generally having a great time. It was the sort of camaraderie that sadly hardly exists in England nowadays, and it was great fun.
The waiters and waitresses were all very patient with my German; the prices are very reasonable and the location itself is quite special – definitely worth a visit! I’d also like to return and see the fortress in daylight!

2  Thank RachelMary D

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Driving from Munich to Kitzbuhl we decided to stop for dinner in Kufstein and used TA to take us to this wonderful restaurant. It's up by the fortress and we'd never have found it without. We received a really warm welcome. There was a large party in the lower part and they were entertained by mein host in the main. It was great fun to watch them singing and swaying to Austrian oompah music.
The food was delicious. Two of us had tender calves liver ; one had goulash and my daughter had noodles(spaghetti really) with bacon and mushrooms. All devoured eagerly. I didn't enjoy my pudding- cut up pancakes which were a bit heavy with fruit purée is an acquired taste. The chocolate others had was much liked.
The place is very quirky. Full of history and well worth a visit!

1  Thank Tricia0763
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Our family were made very welcome at this classic stube in Kufstein's restaurant row. Huge portions (three between four sufficed for our second visit) of Austrian dishes and wines offered good value. We liked the bare wood and memorabilia.

1  Thank nixwebb
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

You don't go there to eat! It's just a special place with a Big Party!
Traditional bavarian/Austrian Kitchen Within a Perfect party!

1  Thank DocMH1970
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We have been more than once. The meal is authentic Austrian cuisine. The 'jugs' are fun. The entertainment is surprising and excellent. We were entertained by a group of men on their way home from work. They got stuck there enjoying the drinking activities!!!! Enjoy the night and I can guarantee it will be one you will remember and talk about often. Can say no more or the surprises will be ruined. Great atmosphere.

1  Thank Deb B