1,034 results
All reviewsrestaurant staffplenty of parkingweekend breakpublic areaslounge areastayed for one nighttown centretescotlckent
Reviewed 12 August 2018

My boyfriend and I were kindly gifted an afternoon tea at this hotel, which we saved up to use for our three year anniversary. Now, we have had many experiences and afternoon teas in our time together but this one really took the biscuit.

Pros
They rearranged our booking from 5pm to 4pm at short notice

Cons:
There was no tea or coffee menu or choice, it was just "tea or coffee"

Nothing was made from scratch, from the bread used on the sandwiches, the cakes that had obviously been bought, cut up and left in the fridge a little too long to those cheap fruit scones you get in a pack of 6 for £1.

Now, I am a vegan, and the first question I was asked was "How strict are you?" which is just infuriating. Despite giving a week's notice of my dietary requirements, whilst my partner had a three tier afternoon tea, I was offered four vegetable sandwiches and a fruit platter. The hotel should be embarrassed and ashamed of themselves for this. They did not cater differently for vegans whatsoever and I would dread to have had an allergy and had to endure it here.

Not only that, I was told that "of course the scones are also vegan" when the plate was put in front of me. There was no alternative butter or cream so I was left with a dry scone and some firm jam. Of course the scone was not really vegan. Firstly, it had a shiny top which is a huge clue to the fact it's been glazed with milk or eggs. Similarly, I have baked scones and am acutely aware that they require dairy or an alternative, as such, I believe in no uncertain terms that the scone they offered had been made with both milk and eggs.

Nevertheless, when I asked for soy milk I was almost scoffed at "of course we have soy milk" (WHO ARE YOU PROVIDING SOY FOR IF YOU DON'T PROVIDE DAIRLY FREE FOOD?!)

Clearly neither the manager, waiting staff nor chef had any pride in what they did or any understanding of dietary requirements in any sense. It was a total embarrassment and the entire hotel should be utterly ashamed of themselves. We walked in at 1600 and left by 1630. If it hadn't been a gifted voucher I would have left without paying within 5 minutes.

Vegan or not, the whole experience was totally cheap and naff (my partner had the 'full works' and added this bit). I don't recommend this at all.

Room Tip: Not a vegan friendly establishment
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMurphyLewes
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

The bedroom and general cleanliness of this hotel was below standard, carpets not vacumed in weeks, ledges of windows and edging of carpets was full of debis and old food!! Cobwebs and dust was visable in many places. Our bedoom was unbearably hot, unable to open the window more than 2 "! No instructions in rooms to tell us otherwise. Although reception told us next morning when we complained and checked out 1st thing as we couldn't bare staying in the room a min longer.... that they do unlock the windows on request...... Would of been wise of the hotel to put a note detailing this in all rooms. To top the heat in our room the wall radiator in our bathroom was turned on full heat and taps on it missing so we wasn't able to adjust it which added more heat to our room. And toilet seat was broke.
Food was of poor quality and what you would expect from a sloppy chef as was either over cooked or swamped in dressing.
Also the TV in our room we was only able to tune into one radio station or one tv channel so again not what you would expect from a 4* hotel.
A very disappointing stay, won't be returning and over priced as definitely not a 4*hotel. Don't waste your time or money booking into this hell hole!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SmileyNat72
Reviewed 7 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in the spring of 2017 and returned again when visiting the area. It is an older hotel but kept very well by all the staff. Generally things are more than satisfactory. The beds are comfortable, rooms are clean. I always order the bed and breakfast package. The food is a good select of hot and cold items. During the hot weather they do their best by offering fans. But it is hot everywhere.

I will return again in 2019 when I am back.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Stewartaudia4
Reviewed 6 August 2018

When we checked in the receptionist didn't even leave his seat to deal with us which I thought was quite rude! The room was not that cleans when I plugged something in I got dust on my hand. I think the rooms are overpriced. They do not take cash or card in the bar so you have to precharge an amount but you do get back what was not spent obviously. However the did not have my drink so ended up with coca cola! Breakfast was not great as we had to wait for eggs then they ran out of bacon so my son never got any. Don't think we will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank janbot
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel is horrible and should be closed down.... stayed here for 2 nights and I can honestly say to pay £299 you expect a good night sleep. The bathroom was dated mould in the tiles the fan in the bedroom was on a timer so had to keep Turing it to keep it on, the TV never worked we had a suite, the pool was rotten and dirty. We was so disappointed I stayed in a premier in a few weeks before and it was £55 for a night it was a million times better than this dirty nasty hotel honestly I was going to drive home as I was so disappointed. We stayed for a birthday treat and I would never recommend this hotel reading standards should close it down.... as the star rating advertised is so misleading it’s very dated

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple