“Disappointing”

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The header says it all.

Having read the reviews on here and having travelled to Koh Chang many times before, I knew what to expect within the village and therefore, given that I had walked past this place during those previous trips, I was expecting a little more with their accommodation.

I cannot fault the bar area and food. It was clean, comfortable, had a good atmosphere and the burgers were to die for.

However, their aircon rooms were extremely disappointing. They were a little shabby and dirty in parts. The bathrooms weren't pleasant at all. The aircon was noisy in one of the rooms, whereby the fan blade in the unit outside was catching the caging in and so, every five minutes it rattled. There were gaps in the floorboards and no meshing over the gaping holes in the bathroom wall/window. The TV reception was laughable and the table on which the TV sat seemed to have been made from an old wooden pallet. However it was the noise from the We Bar opposite that killed the deal for us. It was and still is constant and tantamount to water torture on most days.

Following a room change, which in their defence was swift and agreed without question, we were met with similar issues. Although, in this room the window was loose in its housing, and the noise could still be heard from the We Bar. And our door would not close properly, whereby it could be chained and locked but a gap appeared which would let any critters or mossies in.

Needless to say we checked out and found a more suitable place down the road, which was a shame really, as I was on the island long stay and this place appeared to be ideal prior to arriving.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandomGeeza
Lonelybeachresort, Owner at Lonely Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
I am the owner at Lonely Beach Resort

Very sad to hear, that you did not like our resort! Our politic is that, we will never bind people to stay here, and every costumer is free to leave at any time. I understand the noise problems about “We-Bar” across the street from Lonely Beach Resort. It is a problem for many resorts around here. But actually “We-Bar” has a new owner now (New name is Q-Bar) and the rules are, one party a week, with loud "late night music" and all other days with no loud music after midnight

All the best!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Washington DC
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I highly recommend this place. My friend and I were looking for a place to crash and made a reservation at another hostel but pulled up to the Lonely Beach Resort and decided we wanted to switch the following day.

Upon switching, we were greeted with friendly service and allowed to chose our own guesthouse. There was friendly English-speaking staff, a wonderful restuarant with western food and Thai food as well. There's also a pool table and authentic Thai dining accomodations. The room had a TV and a great porch where we later did our laundry and hung it up to dry which was very convenient for travelers.

Finally, I realized once I was off the island that I had left my camera, so I called the resort to see if they could find it. The owner searched while I was on the phone with the assistance of his staff, found it, and shipped it to me free of cost. I couldn't have stumbled upon a nicer place. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank smh1214
Copenhagen
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Staff very friendly with nice dishes on the menu.

Rooms were equipped with the most basic things you'd expect, but I slept well.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mzedeler
Den Bosch, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I stayed in this affordable resort two nights. The mattress was very very hard and it smelled in the bungalow like it hadn't been ventilated for months, but the worst thing is that my phone was stolen by the cleaner.

The owner thought I was trying to cheat on the insurance, so didn't give me any support. Instead, he and another woman working there got really angry at me. And they wouldn't admit there was a possibility that the cleaner stole it (which is 100% sure as I left it there and locked the door, and when I came back it was gone and only the cleaner had been in). In other words: this employer probably still works there, beware!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank LiesvR
Lonelybeachresort, Owner at Lonely Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2010
As the owner of Lonely beach resort, I would do my best to reply this review in a fair and usefull way
This person who says that my cleaner took her phone, have to remember that she allready checked out of the bungalow and then gave the key to my staff. Many hours later the lady came back again to tell us, that she forgot her phone in the bungalow. The phone was not there. And we where (and are still) very sorry about that ! But now she blame me, my whife (The angry lady she talked about) And the cleaner, who is not working at lonely beach resort anymore

Lonely Beach Resort
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2010

The food at Lonely beach resort is delicious, highly recommended. The rooms are basic, clean and come with a T.V which is an added bonus. The staff are friendly, although they do like to laze about a little and not the most attentive. The location of this resort is also great, easy walking distance to the beach and even closer to a swimming pool which you can use for just 150 baht a day.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
7.3 km away
Pajamas Koh Chang
Pajamas Koh Chang
#2 of 114 in Ko Chang

Been to Lonely Beach Resort? Share your experiences!