See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2014

It was not our intention to stay at the hotel Wassenaar, we were actually camping at duinrell a short distance away. But the rain drove my wife to despair and a hotel was called for.
And what a hotel. We had room 119, it's nearly the size of a small house! It's beautifully appointed. Functional and clean. It came with a large lounge, a stunning bedroom with a substantial Jacuzzi bath, a very smart wash room with twin sinks and it's own wet room. A separate loo and a kitchen area with kettle, microwave and a variety of high quality crockery and cutlery. LCD tv's in both the lounge and bedroom. All in all one of the, if not the best hotel room I have ever seen.
The staff were both helpful and friendly, with good English and a good deal of patience too, the hotel is just outside Wassenaar town itself in some very picturesque countryside. Not so far from the town, a five min drive or a 15min cycle.
I can't say enough about how great we found this place! We would highly recommend to anyone. Try to get room 119 it's a real treat.

Room Tip: Get 119. Enough said
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel is located just outside of Wassenaar in rural settings. It's incredibly quiet here and I had some of the best sleep in ages there. The room was basic, but very clean and did I mention quiet ? The cafe has very nice basic meals at very reasonable prices (7 euro lunches), though we did not make use of the fancier restaurant in the evenings. Wireless internet in the room and in the cafe. The staff are more "friendly" than professional, but that would be my preference anyway. I imagine with the meeting rooms and golf course nearby, that this would be a perfect corporate getaway.

Everyone appears to be moving along on bicycles here and it's a very pleasant short ride into town. They rent bikes here very cheaply per day. The beach was also less then 15 minute gentle cycling away (we have a 9 year old), through lovely dunes. My oldest and I wanted to play golf on the course bordering the property, but sadly this was not possible due to a tournament going on. The course looks very well maintained and we did whack a few balls on the driving range instead.

Wassenaar itself is one of the nicest small towns in The Netherlands. Lots of expats live here and English is heard as much as Dutch (not that I have met any Dutch people that don't speak English). I heard the King and Queen live here, but they must visit different bars than we do :-)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This hotel was chosen by us purely for it's location, 5 minutes drive from my wife's sisters house. Quite basic facilities and as Murray A says trying to be like a Travelodge! There was no air conditioning when we were there (seems that hasn't changed) and it was very warm with our room being above the restaurant/kitchen, rooms are sparsely furnished but the bed was fine and more than large enough, bathroom and walk-in shower were ok. We had booked breakfast and it was the usual buffet style you come to expect in our part of the world, enough choice of the cold variety but only scrabbled eggs available warm! Price wise "par for the course" for this type of hotel, have stayed in worse and of course better. Will probably stay there again as it suits our requirements when visiting family.

Room Tip: Don't have one with a view of the road/above the restaurant, try the side above the reception.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Recently refurbished hotel near the dunes and the North Sea.
With a little more attention and staff training this hotel has potential especially for cycle enthusiast as the hotel provides free of charge excellent bicycles.
Poor breakfast, interference on the TV channels, and a few little deficiencies makes me rate this hotel average.
Not very well located for business travellers.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in April 2014. The first thing that dismayed me was that, even though they say they have wifi....and INSIST they just installed a new system, neither our room nor our friends could get a quality signal to work in either of our rooms on either Blackberry or Mac products.
The rooms are definitely Travelodge UK style. Basic is being nice. No lid on the toilet. One small painting on the wall. Had to get a hairdryer from the front desk. No coffee/tea making facilities. No fridge. One glass. Must say, the beds were very comfortable.
The one very scary thing is security. No peep-holes in the doors. No thermostats or air conditioning. There was a door out to an outdoor walkway but which was wide open to every other room in the hallway along with a patio that has unlimited access from an adjacent elevator/stairway. There is no way to get fresh air into the room while sleeping at all. Have no idea what it would be like in the summer.
It is stated in the TripAdvisor writeup that there is a free breakfast. The only breakfast we were offered was at E12.50 for what would be considered an upper-end continental breakfast.
Needless to say, not impressed except for the beds.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends