“Quiet, nice and beware of the frogs :)”
Review of Hotel De Sniep

Hotel De Sniep
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Zoetermeer
Reviewed 15 October 2014

This is a very nice hotel, clean rooms, separate toilet! and a nice cuisine if you don't want to go out. The rooms are in two floors and just great, five star worthy but for a different price. The only thing they have to fix is the airco in summer but they are working on it. We had a nice ground floor room, next to the park and we heard the frogs in the evening, country style in the middle of a mid-sized city. Great for business trips but also nice for leisure as you are close to The Hague. Next to the city centre. The reception, staff were all high class, friendly, helpful and even with a problem with the name of the invoice, they solved it directly. SuperB, yes with a capital B.

Room Tip: ground floor, park side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frequentflyerspender

Reviewed 22 September 2014

Booked the hotel's "Weekend Trip'' as a birthday surprise for my husband. Overall, we had a very average stay and on multiple occasions, felt really letdown.

Poor service experienced throughout the entire process of booking to checking in, during our stay, and checking out.

Prior to confirming my booking, I asked the hotel if they could help me make any special arrangements as we were checking in on his birthday. They made ordinary suggestions, at which I would be charged with additional costs.

I had to double-check that my reservation was the ''Weekend Trip'' as the email booking did not state that I had selected it and what it included.

Checking in was a joke. We walked in to see three staff talking among themselves, only acknowledging our presence when we were right in front of them. (It was only a little later on that we realized they were 'busy' with Facebook on the computer.) Once again, I had to ask if my booking was for the ''Weekend Trip'' package as we were informed that only breakfast was included. After showing the front desk staff my email from her colleague, she then offered to make a dinner reservation for us. This was after I repeatedly asked her if we could have dinner the same night.

No one bothered to tell us what the WIFI details were.

Initially, I was happy that we were staying in a junior suite. However, the room was below expectations.
There was pet fur on the sofa, bathroom floor, and stairs. There were no bedroom slippers provided, and we would be charged accordingly if we requested for them.
The bed linen was soiled. I called the front desk for help as this was simply unacceptable. One of the front desk staff came to change the bed linen. I appreciated her pro-activeness when she saw that the mattress protector had some dirt and fur on it, and changed it too.
The kettle was terribly dirty, with brown residue left behind after boiling the water each time. At that point, we were already too tired to ask for another kettle and we did not use the kettle during our stay.

What we liked most about the room were the comfortable beds and very refreshing bath/shower facilities.

After dinner, we asked the front desk folks about a tourist attraction and how to get there. Both of them shrugged their shoulders nonchalantly, replied ''I don't know" and told us to check at the bus station for directions.

Breakfast was a joke. The choices were really pathetic. During our first breakfast, we were served a ''broken'' fried egg and when we helped ourselves to hot chocolate at the coffee machine, we were met loudly with a ''Oh My Gawd'' by the waitress on duty, when the cup (there was only one type available) was apparently not the right size for the drink and caused a small spill.

When we checked out, there was no one at the front desk. We rang the bell, and a different waitress handled our transaction instead. Once again, as expected, we were billed incorrectly and I had to explain that we were on the ''Weekend Trip'' package. Although the waitress apologized and remained pleasant, I don't think it was her fault as she was just processing invoices.

To us, the unexpected highlight of the stay was dining at the restaurant. Our package included a three course meal and we were delighted (and very relieved!) that the food was well-presented as well as scrumptious. The dining experience, together with the cosy ambiance and welcoming service of the wait staff, were a huge improvement from what we experienced earlier in the day, and helped us feel a bit better about our stay. Thank you so much to the restaurant folks. If we are ever in town again, we would not mind dropping by for another meal!

On our second day, we asked the front desk lady (a different one, she was the only one on duty then) for directions to the same tourist attraction. Not only did she offer us another suggestion, she also helped to check how we could get to both places. Thank you to her, for making us feel more at ease.

On our last day, the waitress on duty during breakfast was always smiling, very friendly and helpful. She was the same one mentioned above who handled the transactions for the guests who were checking out. (She didn't serve us any ''broken'' fried eggs. Haha.) Thank you to her too.

If you choose to stay at this hotel, try not to have too high / any expectations. If the owners are reading this, for goodness' sake, please make every effort to improve the hotel hospitality side of your business. It could have been a really memorable stay for us and (looking at the reviews here) many other dissatisfied hotel guests.

Room Tip: Have dinner at the restaurant. :)
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dValH_way
Reviewed 14 September 2014

The rooms are located in a separate building next to the restaurant. The decor of the rooms is decent, but somewhat boring. It lacks charm. The beds are for my taste too soft. The bathroom is well-equipped, even with a rain shower and/or jacuzzi. The staff is very friendly. All in all a suitable hotelroom for a short stay at an business trip.
However, the breakfast is downright disturbing. For € 15.75 pp one expects a good breakfast in a stylishly decorated breakfast room. The reality is different: you're sitting at an unset table. The choice of the breakfast buffet is suprisingly small. At 8 am the bowl of cleaned fresh fruit was already empty. It could not be refilled!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Really nice Hotel with Restaurant in separate building from the rooms. Set in a quiet location but near the town.
Rooms were good and very quiet and had tea and coffee making facilities.
The staff were very helpful and we enjoyed breakfast and an evening meal in the gardens.
Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I needed to be in Amsterdam, and this was the closest I could find a hotel at a reasonable price (yes, 45 km from my final destination). I did not regret my choice at all. The room was nicely spacious, decent level of comfort, and even with a jacuzzi in the bathroom. The best however is when you lie on the bed : although the beds feel soft at first (which I generally do not like), the quality is amazing.

I had dinner in the evening which was OK, but not exceptional. Breakfast choice is maybe somewhat limited, but I found everything I was looking for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zoetermeer
2.1 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Leiden
#1 of 3 in Oegstgeest
13.3 km away
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - Nieuwerkerk
Van der Valk Hotel Rotterdam - N...
#1 of 1 in Nieuwerkerk aan den Ijssel
26.9 km away
Stadshotel Woerden
Stadshotel Woerden
#1 of 2 in Woerden

Been to Hotel De Sniep? Share your experiences!