1,277 results
All reviews fish tank hen party keller bar jacuzzi bath live band dry ski slope girls night bit dated lounge area great night spa facilities plenty of choice full english one night stay breakfast was excellent following morning family room
Reviewed 14 July 2016

I last stayed at the Coppid Beech some 20 years ago, it was the smartest hotel in the area, sadly it appears that very little has been upgraded or renewed since then!
On 'check in' we were in a queue of 15 tired and thirsty guests who waited 25 minutes to be processed by a charming but over worked receptionist, she kept apologising and ringing a number for more bodies to help her at the reception desk but only one person arrived after 20 minutes, hardly the sort of welcome I'd expect at a somewhat expensive hotel.
The bedrooms are large and clean but soooo dated, I had to get on hands and knees to find somewhere to plug my computer and iPhone in, that's just not acceptable.
The bathroom was also in a time warp, come on! Nobody accepts a 'Physco' style shower curtain these days.
The Maitre D' at breakfast was welcoming and smiley, unfortunately his staff, mainly young ladies, did not manage a smile of any kind during the breakfast service, the food was OK, with a special mention for the toaster, it's the only one I have ever found at any hotel breakfast buffet that worked perfectly!

Room tip: Choose a room higher than ground floor & at the back of the hotel.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
DLawrenceCBH, General Manager at Coppid Beech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Coppid Beech and we are so glad to hear that you have revisited us after so many years, we always love welcoming back past guests. Thank you for your great comments about our staff and toaster! I will certainly pass your comments on. We do know that we are not the most modern hotel in the area and we appreciate your other feedback, we are always looking to be the best we can for our guests.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 July 2016

It isn't often I have a total rant about a place I have visited, and, I warn you, this will be a long review!
This trip was organised by a friend for three couples. One of our party has severe mobility problems. The one night booking was part of a package arranged by a uk coach travel company. We were assured, several times, that a suitable room for a person with mobility difficulties would be, and had been reserved. Not so. As far as we could ascertain this hotel has no rooms for the disabled. Our friend and his wife were given a room on the third floor with a bath when it had been specifically requested that a walk in shower was essential. On the intervention of our rep they were re-assigned the "honeymoon suite" - a very nice room. It had a shower - with a six inch high ridge to get over. Not an easy task for a sufferer of MS to negotiate. Not only that but the room was a long way from the lift and for his wife to manage pushing him to the room along the thickly carpeted corridor was an effort requiring the strength of Hercules. Not a hand rail in sight anywhere. No help was offered to assist our friend move from one room to the other.
To compound things further, at breakfast the following morning, our friends were consigned to eat in the lounge area rather than the restaurant. Even if the hotel hadn't been so busy (some other able bodied guests were unable to eat in the dining room due to lack of space) I could not discern any way our friend could have negotiated that dining room in his wheelchair. It was left to us to help his wife gather the meal and transport it to the table outside. Not one member of staff offered help.
As far as we could tell the only noticeable concession to the mobility impaired was an access ramp into the building.
We found the staff indifferent. Not exactly unfriendly but I cannot recall one member of staff who made eye contact, smiled or shared a bit of banter.
Away from that I can say most of the hotel looked very clean. Our bed was comfortable as were the pillows and we did enjoy a good nights sleep. Our room had a balcony - the most filthy balcony I have ever seen, anywhere in the world I, or my husband, have travelled to. Pigeons I know are a pest and difficult to deal with, but I doubt that the pigeon droppings on that balcony had been attended to for weeks. I doubt also that it had been swept judging by the size of the cobwebs and dirt. The wooden rail hadn't seen a coat of paint for a very long time. The wood was splintery, dry and rough as was the flaking, dirty paint.
Food was 'ok' although breakfast was a little disappointing. The only bread on offer was sliced bread for the toaster. The only eggs were scrambled (although the rest of the cooked breakfast on offer was reasonable) and the baked beans were lukewarm. Croissants were dry and unappealing.
For a 4 star hotel with 205 rooms I fail to see why the management company cannot convert a few rooms to accommodate handrails, walk in showers and wider doors within easy reach of the lifts, or make the dining room more accessible for those in wheelchairs and enabling them a degree of independence to select their own breakfast! Our friend is not a "bleeding heart". He is cheerful, great fun to be with and game to be as independent as possible. Sadly, for what was otherwise a fun trip, this hotel left all six of us embarrassed and very, very cross.

Room tip: Can't. I'm too angry with this hotel to recommend anything.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your detailed feedback from your stay with us. Having investigated the history of your booking, there was detailed communication between the hotel and your travel company. We were very clear regarding the two disabled rooms that we have and the layout of the bathrooms to them as we felt that it was important to ensure that they had all the relevant information to relay to their clients. The weekends are extremely busy at the hotel and we often utilise other areas of the hotel to ensure we have plenty of seating and availability for guests to avoid lengthy queues. I have passed your feedback onto the relevant managers as we are always looking to improve what we offer our guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

I had a very enjoyable stay at the Coppid Beach hotel. Service was excellent the Staff were very friendly and welcoming. A clean room comfortable bed clean bathroom and the food was very good. Highly recommend this Hotel. Also a stunning fish tank in the middle of the hotel Going through each floor.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
DLawrenceCBH, General Manager at Coppid Beech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and pleased to hear they made you feel very welcome.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 July 2016

Stayed here on business in July 2016. The hotel itself is very nice. Loved the giant fish tanks in the coridors. Meeting provisions were basic but adequate. The food was great. We have a BBQ which had lots of options. Service also very good. The bedrooms were quite old fashioned but I think meant to look this way. Bathrooms were more modern though. Still all was clean and spacious. Lots of parking. Nice stay.

• Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very pleased to hear you loved our giant fish tank and that the food and service was great.

We are also glad to hear you enjoyed the BBQ and it had lots of options.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

I went to the coppid beach for a taster menu with wine. The food was so good, and the wine was complimentary to the food.
Lets start with the hotel, Yes it is dated and could do with a refresh, Yet that doesnt take away from the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.
I have stayed in more modern hotels and the staff were not a touch on the staff at coppid beech.
The service at dinner was not in your face but were attentive.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel as a nice place to eat, with great service.
I've heard they do a great carvery on a sunday so will be booking in for that!.
Please dont be put off by the decor, as they say the taste is in the pudding! :D

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachy38
DLawrenceCBH, General Manager at Coppid Beech Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a great time at one of our Wine Appreciation Evenings, I will certainly pass your compliments onto our chef who work hard to make delicious food to go with the fantastic wine provided by Laithwaite's. Thank you also for your kind words about our staff, they work hard to make every guest feel comfortable and welcomed. We certainly agree that the taste is in the pudding!

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again.