“Lovely day out.”

Kelmarsh Hall & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Kelmarsh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kelmarsh Hall is a Grade I listed hall with gardens. Open to the public during spring/summer and available throughout the year for weddings & functions.
Reviewed 6 June 2018

Although I live nearby I had never been to Kelmarsh Hall and Gardens. We took a guided tour which I would recommend as it was very instructive and interesting. Kelmarsh is not the most elaborate property or the biggest but you really should go and I wish I had been before.
The newly refurbished servants quarters are great and really do give you an idea of what roles and life downstairs was like. There is an education facility and a party of schoolchildren were having a great time stepping back in time and experiencing activities they had only read about in history books.
We loved the gardens they are so beautiful. We particularly liked the way you follow the paths and new gardens open up as you go round each corner.
We stopped off for lunch at the cafe and had the best Leek and Potato soup I had ever tasted.
I plan to go back and would like to explore the gardens further as I am sure we did not see it all and the Cafe is a must as the food looked great.

1  Thank LadyAnne253
"approx mins"
"lakeside walk"
"old stables"

Reviewed 4 June 2018

We went mainly for the gardens, and were not disappointed - they are very extensive and very beautiful. The visit inside the house was a bonus as I hadn't realised it was open to the public. Only the ground floor and basement are ready for public view currently but it was a fascinating tour. It is managed and staffed by volunteers, whose love of the place and enthusiasm really came through and made the visit most enjoyable. Now that we have discovered it we will definitely be going back regularly to see the garden change with the seasons.

Reviewed 22 May 2018

Visited on the National Lottery Thanks to You weekend in May 2018 (free entry with a lottery ticket). I was very impressed by the new below stairs interpretation which the Heritage Lottery Fund had paid for. The gardens were also lovely. The food and cakes in the café were excellent, and although it was very busy the staff were polite and friendly.

1  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

Lovely visit on Sunday. Even though it is still a bit early in the season the gardens were very nice. Lots of tulips and bluebells out. Pleasant walk throught the woods and round the lake. The house was very intesting and the people in the rooms were full of information. The servants quarters below stairs were especially good, lots to see. We had a nice lunch in the cafe very reasonably priced. Lovely home made cake. Will be going again a bit later in the year to see the dahlias.

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 May 2018

The hall is a really striking looking building as you approach it ( especially with the chestnut trees in front of it in blossom as they were when we visited),Loved looking around the house and exploring the below stairs exhibition of servants working lifes and where they lived.
The gardens were a delight, especially the walled garden and lakeside walk. The lake currently has both a swan and a canada goose nesting on the water.
After our walk we had a lovely cake and coffee in the tea shop.
The only downside about our visit was that after arriving about 20 minutes before opening (having driven for one and a half hours to get there) we asked a young girl if we could use the toilets she helpfully said yes. After using them and while waiting for my partner an older woman asked what i was doing and when i told her told me to "wait outside". My partner then exited the toilet a couple of minutes later and when asked told the woman she was waiting for me the woman then barked at her" hes outside".
The rest of the staff were alll lovely and friendly its just a shame the only only rude and unwelcomeing person we met at kelmarsh is on your entrance/reception desk