“Good chips” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Fishing Boat Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Boulmer
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good chips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

Having read the other reviews and listened to locals bemoaning the surly demeanor of the landlord, I wonder if it was the landlord we saw on our visit. There were two middle aged men behind the bar who were hardly the most sparkling hosts, but certainly were not rude. We ordered meals from the limited menu ( which I also thought rather expensive) and went to sit in the lounge. The decor is rather old fashioned, although the situation of the restaurant is stunning, with views over the sea. I ordered crab cakes which were delicious and the home made chips the same. The salad had a slice of melon on which was peculiar but if you are looking for hearty home cooked food, this will suit. I do think though that it is a tad expensive compared to other places we have visited.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Alnwick, United Kingdom
“Beautiful view, good food, yet no words can describe the landlord!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

My family and I thought we would take a trip to Boulmer after recently moving to the area. There is only one pub, so as it was lunch time we thought we would check it out. Food is served until 2.30 so at 1.40 we ordered our main meal and thought we would order dessert afterwards. We chose a lovely table on the outside terrace that looked over the beach and we could not have asked for a more beautiful setting for lunch. It was fairly busy so we expected to wait a while. We enjoyed our drinks and was getting rather hungry but we had to be patient because 40 minutes later and we were still waiting. Because it was edging towards 2.30 and the cut off for dessert, I thought I would go check at the bar in case I had to order these before 2.30. I was assured by a rather surly gentleman that it would be fine if we ordered after 2.30. I went back and our food had just arrived. The food was good; it filled a void and we all had empty plates at the end. I then went to the bar to order dessert; I believe it was the landlord behind the bar, I asked for an Eton Mess, 1 ice cream dessert with 3 scoops of vanilla and 1 ice cream dessert with 2 scoops of chocolate and 1 scoop of vanilla. Now for a normal human being this wouldn't have been too complicated I hear you say. But after I'd asked for the 2 scoops of chocolate and 1 vanilla, he proceeded to aim his waiter's pad at me and the pen and asked me to write it myself!!!! I did (he didn't pay me any wages for doing this by the way!). I then, god forbid, asked for chocolate sauce on the ice cream ... I thought I may give him a coronary after this but he was okay, he just wrote chocolate sauce in capital letters so as not to get confused. I laughed to myself because I think it was just his sense of humour (rather than rudeness), but he would definitely give Basil Fawlty a run for his money. The young waitress who served us was lovely though, albeit tired after her festival going. I would definitely recommend this pub just for the terrace and view and of course Basil Fawlty.

1 Thank BoskyM
United Kingdom
“Stunning view with slow service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

We came across the Fishing Boat Inn (FBI) whilst enjoying the delights of the Northumberland coast. It was a rather nice sunny day so when we saw a table on the front terrace overlooking the sea (well just a few metres away really) we soon snapped it up. We ordered our lunch, fish and chips and took our drinks out to the terrace. Well we were feeling very hungry and were longing for our food to come out, 40 minutes from ordering we finally saw it. Freshly cooked I imagine and quite nice, I just wish someone had informed us of the wait. But all in all quite a good experience especially our view.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank smokeyrolo
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
“Great food and really friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I don't normally write reviews but I was so impressed by the FBI that I felt compelled! We were a party of 11 (6 adults and 5 kids under 6) who arrived hungry, cold and wet on a Bank Holiday Monday after a weekend camping. The landlord moved the tables around to fit us all in, the food was fantastic (especially the freshly caught fish!) and the atmosphere in the FBI was friendly and good natured. The landlady was brilliant and kept the kids entertained with various singing animals. Such a find - we will be back!

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Ran by an animal!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I'm presently writing this whilst watching a documentary on Colditz, the WW2 POW camp. It brought to mind the Fishing Boat Inn. I recently visited here as part of a bike ride and was staggered by the attitude of the manager/owner on our arrival. Without averting his gaze from a pile of coins he was counting he outlined our food options. "Crisps only, the kitchen's shut and we're closed on 20 minutes".
I quickly checked I wasn't wearing a balaclava and carrying a sawn-off, so staggered by his reaction. It was so hostile I actually raised a smile to my mate who was equally bemused.
We ordered a drink and sat down dazed by our 'welcome'. I cannot overstate how awful this guy was. He ordered a young girl around like a Gastapo Commander, who I got the impression was his daughter (Childline is 08001111 love, if you get a chance to use a phone).
Whilst we were there another would-be customer arrived only to be told they were now closed. we spoke to him outside and he was in a state of disbelief after himself riding some miles to get there.
Honestly please go, if only to witness this character at work. He's like Basil Fawlty without the English charm.
I'll be amazed it it's still open next year with this wild animal at the helm!

• Visited June 2012