Lowest prices for your stay
Orbitz.com
Free cancellation until 05/11/21
PricelineUSD 45
Trip.com
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 as it was one of the closest hotels to the Hellfire Pass Memorial in Soi Yak in Kanchanaburi Province Thailand. I only wanted somewhere cheap and clean as I had to be out at 4.30am the next morning.

The first impression is that the place is quite expansive over many acres and includes a range of activities like canoeing on the Kwai River which runs right past it, rockclimbing, archery, and many more things.

The room I was given was literally 10 yards from the river itself (I'm sure it's been flooded once or twice it was so close), and was clean and basic. It wasn't five star by any measure but I had no complaints at all, for the money I paid it was fine.

The swimming pool is huge but unfortunately after the Thai sun beats on it al day it's too warm to offer any cool relief. For that I'd suggest either Soi Yak or Erawan waterfalls which are close by.

The next morning after attending the memorial service we returned for breakfast which was typically Asian and offered basic western fare, (not even omelettes.... strange) and I'll never understand what those little weiner sausages are about, they're horrible. It was satisfactory rather than tasty.

I'd happily stay here again, it did represent good value for money, in fact I'm thinking of returning in a year or so to explore the Three Pagodas Pass region so might make his my base for 3-4 days. It's not the sort of place you'd go on your own unless you wanted to escape it all or really liked your own space. There might also be other places that are better places around but I don't really know the region very well.

The massage was outrageously expensive, I think it was 900 baht from memory.

Room tip: I liked the room by the river personally, others might not.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank s0ma25
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We were only here for one night for an early morning start for the Anzac dawn service next day. However the room was spacious although spartan, the bed comfortable and everything clean although old looking. Rooms are air conditioned and ours had a balcony that looked out over the river. The swimming pool was an excellent way of cooling off after a long day travelling. Dinner was provided and was a lovely selection of Thai dishes - so much food! There was a floor show of small children performing Thai dances which was very cute and enjoyable. The resort is a good way from anywhere however so it is difficult to want to eat elsewhere or browse markets stalls etc. This would be somewhere I would want to stay if I just wanted to relax and do nothing!

Room tip: It doesn't seem to matter, every room is a long way from reception and the restaurant!
3  Thank juann22
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Located in its own large grounds on the banks of the River Kwai (Yai) with a great swimming pool, the hotel is nearly really good. However, the seclusion makes it difficult to walk outside and choose another restaurant if you don't really like the hotel restaurant (it is 2-3 kilometres into town). Similarly, the rooms we stopped in were somewhat spartan/functional and you viewed them as somewhere to sleep, rather than spend any time in. We didn't find the hotel restaurant that good on the first night and so went into town on the other night of the stay. Breakfast was OK.

On the plus side, our son loved the number of geckos that lived in the main part of the hotel, and that was one of his holiday highlights. Swimming pool was the largest of the trip and the small pool for young kids was particularly large.

Room tip: Ask to see the room type when booking. We were on a trip and the room we had was basic (but OK). From the web site, it looks that some of the other room types were more inviting.
1  Thank mqb2766
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The Pung-Waan resort,Kanchanaburi is next to the Kwai river, The rooms are nice, with a TV though old, balcony, fine bathrooms. There is no buffet breakfast but overall i had a nice stay

Date of stay: January 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Experto109
Reviewed 5 September 2011

If you are looking to get off the beaten trail, but like your luxury – a ride on the railway from Kanchanaburi to the end of the line (Nam Tok) and a stay at the Pungwaan resort - is a great combination.

The train ride really is special. I sat by an open window (there are only 3rd class carriages) and watched as the train passed through fields of sugarcane, maize, rice and cassava. At one point we passed a group of buffaloes wallowing in the mud – an intimate glimpse of rural Thailand. The last half hour of the ride, we caught sight of the river and the mountains of Burma – with some really spectacular views.

This is the infamous railway built during WW2 that once ran to Burma. Now the line terminates at Nam Tok, but at Hellfire Pass you can still walk along the old train beds and take in the extreme terrain the prisoners and conscripts had to work in – digging out a line with hand tools. No wonder so many perished!

I got on at Kanchanaburi and it was just under 2 hours to Nam Tok – at a leisurely pace with lots of stops….which was great as I was enjoying the ride. Most tourists got off the train before the end. The hotel had arranged a minibus to meet us and take us to the resort (only about 5 minute drive away). You can travel to Nam Tok all the way from Bangkok (it’s still only 100 Baht for a ticket), but I gather it’s a very slow journey that takes all day and is probably not very picturesque before Kanchanaburi – so only for the hardy!

Pungwaan resort is very green and peaceful – a real change from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. (If you are looking for nightlife, this is probably not the place for you). Rooms and amenities are luxurious, corresponding to its 3 star rating. It is under Thai management, some but not all staff speak English – a chance to practice your Thai!

We stayed there as a family party, and the kids found lots of activities within the hotel grounds (a challenge course, biking, and rafting down the river which flows through the resort). The adult option was to enjoy a massage at the spa and wander round the scenic gardens.

Most tourists to the region seem to stay at Kanchanaburi and take a day excursion to Hellfire Pass Museum, Erawan Falls that includes a short ride on the train – but it makes for a very full day. Staying at Pungwaan Resort gave us a more leisurely option – we could allow a whole day each for Hellfire Pass and Erawan Falls (excursions which the hotel can arrange), enjoying the beautiful grounds (and huge swimming pool) at Pungwaan in between.

Room tip: the resort is spread out, with many different styles of rooms. We stayed in chalets close to reception. Had nice balcony.
Date of stay: August 2011