“Nice pub. Stop hassling me for tips.”

Patonga Beach Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Quick Bites in Patonga
Price range: AU$10 - AU$40
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Patonga Beach Hotel has views accross Brisk Bay and a huge outdoor seating area. The Hotel and Bistro is open 7 days and 7 nights. We have over 15 beers on tap, an extensive wine list and live entertainment on Saturdays in our Sand Bar. The bistro offers an extensive menu highlighting local Patonga Oysters, a generous seafood platter, many pub favourites and a variety of dishes from around the world. Patonga means ‘little oyster’ in the Guringai people's language, whose country stretched from the north side of Port Jackson to the southern end of Lake Macquarie. Early English language maps of the area spelt Patonga as "Betonga". It is now a working fishing village at the southern end of the Central Coast, entirely surrounded by Brisbane Waters National Park. Head up the hill from the southern end of Umina Beach, past the turn off to Pearl Beach and keep going - you’ll find Patonga at the end of the road. After coming down the hill, keep going straight and you will find the local boat ramp. A short stroll along the beach is ‘Dark Corner’ where you will see half a dozen original houses perched between Brisbane Waters National Park and The River.
Reviewed 27 January 2024 via mobile

We had a nice lunch with friends. Great location. I don’t mind leaving a tip for great service at restaurants. I wouldn’t normally expect to pay tips at a pub. I believe this is normal practice in Australia and factored into salary structures. So I just found it increasingly irritating to have to find and hit the no tip button for every food and drink transaction before I could pay. I feel as though you’re pressuring customers for tips. They’ll do it themselves if they believe it’s appropriate and reasonable for the situation. I’m not going to return to places that do this. We are not the US .

Date of visit: January 2024

Reviewed 10 March 2023

I ordered a seafood platter for 2 at $80, which was described as “serves 2”. My “lunch” consisted of 3 mussels, 3 prawns and 3 oysters which were flooded with vinegar, for $40. The description included kingfish, which I was expecting to be a cooked fillet of fish, but which was a very small piece of raw kingfish “cooked” in lime juice, which I didn’t eat.

A more honest description of this dish on the menu would have been helpful.

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 15 December 2022

We attended a trivia evening here with friends and all found their food of good value and yummy .
I had the wild mushroom linguine and it was delicious with several types of mushroom and and al dente pasta .

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 16 August 2022 via mobile

The Hotel is located close to the beach. It’s a pleasant white construction, a large hotel with bars, accommodation and food.
The Patonga hotel offers varied eating locations and we opted to sit outside. We were advised to be aware of diving Kookaburras and were delighted to see a group of them. We all enjoyed our food, cauliflower curry, fish & chips and pumpkin with pasta. Fresh and delicious. A great lunch followed by a walk along the beach. Recommended

Date of visit: August 2022
Reviewed 13 November 2021 via mobile

We had lunch at the boat house and noticed the menu was not that great as compared with 12 months ago anyway we ordered steak it was tough as and served with 10 thousand chips I have to say we could not eat it and got our money back such a pity we were looking forward to lunch it seems venues are just giving patrons chips bloody lazy chefs bad menu bad food not going back

Date of visit: November 2021