“The place itself was lovely,”

Patonga Beach Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Quick Bites in Patonga
Price range: AU$10 - AU$40
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Patonga Beach Hotel has views accross Brisk Bay and a huge outdoor seating area. The Hotel and Bistro is open 7 days and 7 nights. We have over 15 beers on tap, an extensive wine list and live entertainment on Saturdays in our Sand Bar. The bistro offers an extensive menu highlighting local Patonga Oysters, a generous seafood platter, many pub favourites and a variety of dishes from around the world. Patonga means ‘little oyster’ in the Guringai people's language, whose country stretched from the north side of Port Jackson to the southern end of Lake Macquarie. Early English language maps of the area spelt Patonga as "Betonga". It is now a working fishing village at the southern end of the Central Coast, entirely surrounded by Brisbane Waters National Park. Head up the hill from the southern end of Umina Beach, past the turn off to Pearl Beach and keep going - you’ll find Patonga at the end of the road. After coming down the hill, keep going straight and you will find the local boat ramp. A short stroll along the beach is ‘Dark Corner’ where you will see half a dozen original houses perched between Brisbane Waters National Park and The River.
Reviewed 18 April 2021 via mobile

The place itself was lovely, but that’s where it stops the food was bland and it’s run by a bunch of kids who have no idea. The room didn’t even have the basics ie shower cap and a pen. We have been to Barrenjoey House and it was first class, Patonga is not a patch on it.

Date of visit: April 2021

Reviewed 9 April 2021

There’s a mixture of ratings here because it can be hit and miss. I came last year and the service was dreadful with meals coming out at different times and wait staff completely disinterested. This time, thanks to a COVIDSAFE queue system it was less of the usual stressful bun fight to get a table but still a wait and uncertainty about if you will get a table and when. With kids that’s not ideal. It opens at 10.30/11 and we arrived for lunch at 11.45. We waited 25mins for a table. They provided water in the queue and we’re very polite but we by they don’t offer bookings is beyond me. Food options are great, food was
Delicious and hot and not long to wait. Some nice touches with the kids meals like the milkshake glasses and it’s a perfect spot to enjoy a meal. It’s also the only spot in Patonga pretty much! The renovation completed a few years ago is great and holding up well given the business of the place!

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 1 April 2021

Don't, just don't! We ordered take out. $19 Salad, which was a Coles bagged salad tipped into a Boathouse Box. No dressing, no finesse, gross. The pizza was so bad it was funny. Two torn pieces of sandwich ham thrown on top of a boxed supermarket pizza, passed off as restaurant quality. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You may have a captive market, but, rest assured you'll tank if this continues. So very disappointing. Tip of the day - as per Gordon Ramsay, all people want is fresh good quality food. How hard is it?

Date of visit: March 2021
2  Thank Fatchickslim
Reviewed 26 November 2020

I have now eaten 4 times at this restaurant and feel it is time to write a review.

There is no doubt that this is a great little spot in an idyllic location. The hotel has been beautifully styled and it is a very pleasant experience to sit out on the courtyard.

But the food....I am sorry to say that I have never had a good meal. First time we went I had scones for morning coffee- they were stale and tasteless. I sent them back as they were inedible. Next time I had the traditional fish and chips. They were cold and did not arrive when the other meals came and I had to ask for my meal. Next time I tried the fish and chips again- not too bad, but I have had much better everywhere else. So this final time I tried the beef burger which looked good as it went by. It was almost impossible to eat with the soggy bun and the whole thing eventually turned to slop on my plate as i picked out the various bits of salad and meat.

So - That is it for me. I may have a cup of coffee next time I am in this lovely area, or glass of wine, but I will not be ordering the food. It must be making a fortune with the amount of customers they have, so there is really no excuse for the poor quality of the food. And by the way - from what I saw, a number of the customers show pretty bad manners with a sense of privilege and entitlement as well, and were not bothering to meet the Covid requirements, but just walked in.

Date of visit: November 2020
4  Thank Evvo2
Reviewed 9 November 2020

We have not been to Patonga for many years and thought we would go for a Sunday drive, much to our surprise we came across Patonga Beach Hotel, we arrived at 1050 to discover they open at 11am so we joined a small Q and were seated within 5 mins after registration on the QR code for Covid 19.

The meal and service were great and has no issues, staff are friendly and service was very prompt.

This is somewhere a tourist should venture to as its a gem in Sydney.

Date of visit: November 2020