“Great Spot - Just Don't Eat There”

Patonga Beach Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Quick Bites in Patonga
Price range: AU$10 - AU$40
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Patonga Beach Hotel has views accross Brisk Bay and a huge outdoor seating area. The Hotel and Bistro is open 7 days and 7 nights. We have over 15 beers on tap, an extensive wine list and live entertainment on Saturdays in our Sand Bar. The bistro offers an extensive menu highlighting local Patonga Oysters, a generous seafood platter, many pub favourites and a variety of dishes from around the world. Patonga means ‘little oyster’ in the Guringai people's language, whose country stretched from the north side of Port Jackson to the southern end of Lake Macquarie. Early English language maps of the area spelt Patonga as "Betonga". It is now a working fishing village at the southern end of the Central Coast, entirely surrounded by Brisbane Waters National Park. Head up the hill from the southern end of Umina Beach, past the turn off to Pearl Beach and keep going - you’ll find Patonga at the end of the road. After coming down the hill, keep going straight and you will find the local boat ramp. A short stroll along the beach is ‘Dark Corner’ where you will see half a dozen original houses perched between Brisbane Waters National Park and The River.
Reviewed 26 November 2020

I have now eaten 4 times at this restaurant and feel it is time to write a review.

There is no doubt that this is a great little spot in an idyllic location. The hotel has been beautifully styled and it is a very pleasant experience to sit out on the courtyard.

But the food....I am sorry to say that I have never had a good meal. First time we went I had scones for morning coffee- they were stale and tasteless. I sent them back as they were inedible. Next time I had the traditional fish and chips. They were cold and did not arrive when the other meals came and I had to ask for my meal. Next time I tried the fish and chips again- not too bad, but I have had much better everywhere else. So this final time I tried the beef burger which looked good as it went by. It was almost impossible to eat with the soggy bun and the whole thing eventually turned to slop on my plate as i picked out the various bits of salad and meat.

So - That is it for me. I may have a cup of coffee next time I am in this lovely area, or glass of wine, but I will not be ordering the food. It must be making a fortune with the amount of customers they have, so there is really no excuse for the poor quality of the food. And by the way - from what I saw, a number of the customers show pretty bad manners with a sense of privilege and entitlement as well, and were not bothering to meet the Covid requirements, but just walked in.

Date of visit: November 2020
4  Thank Evvo2

Reviewed 9 November 2020

We have not been to Patonga for many years and thought we would go for a Sunday drive, much to our surprise we came across Patonga Beach Hotel, we arrived at 1050 to discover they open at 11am so we joined a small Q and were seated within 5 mins after registration on the QR code for Covid 19.

The meal and service were great and has no issues, staff are friendly and service was very prompt.

This is somewhere a tourist should venture to as its a gem in Sydney.

Date of visit: November 2020
2  Thank Damon T
Reviewed 30 September 2020 via mobile

Beautiful location and so wonderful to sit on the deck and look out to sea. We watched the ferry and boats come and go. Hard to beat the location.

Enjoyed the seafood platter which was nice but we had a long wait for our meal.

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 8 September 2020

The venue itself is stunning as is the location BUT the staff are absolutely hopeless! It felt like there is no systems in place for serving customers, delivering food and drinks to tables. Pity help the person who ordered the pizza we watched going from table to table for over 20 minutes.
We went to the bar to check where our drinks were to be told they’re busy and are coming soon, when I got back to the table the girl was there delivering them!

SOCIAL DISTANCING VENUE RULES ARE NOT BEING ADHERED TO. Chairs at adjoining tables were touching each other and we saw a group of 12 people enter the premises

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank farmgirlstalbans
Reviewed 3 August 2020

Beautifully crafted venue with all the touches and coastal chic we have come to expect from the Boathouse group. Food was excellent as always and surprisingly good value for money.

Location on the still waters edge and fringed by the gorgeous dense forest of Brisbane Waters National Park, the venue is a destination onto itself.

It should be noted, however, that they have either cut staff for this period under Covid or only operate on a skeleton team. The line up to register details is arduous. Only one person to sign you in on an iPad which would are fine most of the time but not during peak arrivals 1130-1330.

Both bar and food ordering counters were only managed by a single staff member. The queue for food ordering was always at least 8 guests deep. The staff were great mind you but I would have thought at least 2 should be behind the food ordering and 2 for registration in during peak periods. Still everything moved quite quickly considering the venue was close to capacity so it does still work - just could be more efficient.

Great place, great spot, great addition to the F&B scene along Sydney's coastline.

Date of visit: August 2020