“The food did not live up to the great location.”

The Boathouse Hotel Patonga
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Patonga
Description: The Boathouse Hotel Patonga is a waterside Hotel + Accommodation in Patonga, on the New South Wales Central Coast.
Reviewed 4 September 2020 via mobile

I’ve had friends eat here an love it, and but we were not all that impressed with the food: perhaps we were just unlucky. We ordered the fish and chips ($28) and the tiger prawns ($39). My partner’s battered fish was very overcooked and dry, although the chips were good. My prawns were fine, as was the sauce, but instead of the sourdough listed on the menu, came with rock-hard, toasted (why?) brown rye bread. The Boathouse is a fabulous venue, especially on a gorgeous sunny Spring day, and dog friendly too. It was just a little disappointing the food did not live up to the location.

Date of visit: September 2020
1  Thank GemmaTravels
TheBoathouseTeam, General Manager at The Boathouse Hotel Patonga, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2020

Hello Gemma,

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us at The Boathouse was a disappointing one.
So that we can improve, would you mind sending through the details of your visit and your contact details to info@theboathousegroup.com.au so that we can get in direct contact with you.

The Boathouse Team

Reviewed 17 August 2020 via mobile

I am a frequent visitor to this establishment and have been impressed with the quality and service to date. Sadly this fell into an ugly, untidy heap this Saturday evening .
My wife and I and our young son are often to be found at the boathouse, more often than not with friends and family in tow , keen to show them a slice of what’s best on the coast and having earned the pleasure of a culinary reward by completing the delightful palm beach to Patonga coastal walk.
We had agreed to meet up with friends at the venue and had driven from Terrigal to make the rendezvous . Looking forward to our first cold beer of the day.
On arrival it was evident our hostess had had a good head start on us in her birthday celebrations and was a little
The worse for wear . Whilst ordering our drinks from the extremely professional and likeable bar person I was approached by the duty manager ( a tall heavy set gentleman with a beard)who voiced his concerns that our friend has had too much to drink and that no more alcohol would be served to her . An assessment that I found quite reasonable. Water had been despatched to the table to help restore sobriety .However I was disappointed by the immediate implication that I was somehow guilty of poor behaviour by association with someone who was quite frankly not causing any trouble to anyone . However, it rankled but I desisted from comment in the interests of preserving harmony and as a lesson in decorum to my 6 year old son.

I have managed to reach my 61st year without having been ejected from any type of hostelry on each of the 5 continents and I have been no stranger to revelry.

So imagine my consternation on being asked to vacate the premises forthwith despite having only consumed a third of my schooner of XPA.

My hostess dutifully left yet I politely suggested that I remain to finish the contents of my glass . Even at that juncture had the manager had the self awareness to understand the situation for what it was I would have cut him some slack. Nevertheless this was not forthcoming and the frosty invitation to leave was not withdrawn.
I love the boathouse. I will continue my patronage as the establishment is just too good to boycott on the strength of one miscalculation by one individual.

As a senior manager of a team of professionals , my strong recommendation is that the individual in question be provided with some solid rehabilitation on how to handle any future similar situations with good humour , elegance and emotional intelligence.

Let’s all get along in these difficult times .

Reviewed 15 August 2020

My husband, 6 year old son and myself arrived at Patonga Boathouse at approximately 6:30PM on Saturday August 15th. Our friend was celebrating her birthday (with one of her friends) and upon our arrival, we immediately realised that she had had too much to drink. When my husband went in to order our drinks, the bar manager (beard, portly) advised my husband that our friend was intoxicated, that he wouldn't serve her and that we had to keep an eye on her. This was our greeting. My husband got our drinks and returned to the table. 15 minutes later, said manager came up to our table to tell our friend there was no smoking on the patio (she had just lit up), advised she would have to put it out and then said angrily "this isn't going to work. You're all going to have to leave." To which I responded "my husband and I have just arrived, we just got these drinks and will not be leaving." He was ignorant, rude, dismissive and insisted that we leave. I advised that that would not be happening, particularly when our girlfriend and her friend said they would be leaving, enabling us to finish our drinks. The manager did not know how to respond and continued his little rant, full of arrogance, ignorance and absolute disregard for us as customers. (never mind our son who had to listen to this). We live locally on the coast and visit this establishment regularly, following our coastal walks with guests from overseas and Sydney. We completely understand the need for responsible service of alcohol, however WE had only just arrived. Perhaps the manager needs some training to understand how to be polite to customers, diplomatically ask patrons to leave and common decency. He was absolutely disgusting and should not be in the service industry.

3  Thank Kirsten M
Reviewed 4 August 2020 via mobile

Go to this place often. Too busy on weekends so we usually go through the week.
Good food, great location, lovely staff, beautiful venue, clean, good menu, dog friendly, ok coffee.
Recommend to many to try!

Reviewed 28 July 2020 via mobile

A fantastic venue right on the water on this beautiful part of the Central Coast. The service was friendly & energetic, whilst the food was generous & well made. Prices aren’t cheap, but the portion sizes make up for it. For a rainy Monday, we certainly enjoyed the comfort of the fireplace, while others did the same at the outside tables. Great styling which is consistent with their other venues. Definitely worth visiting, a Sunday afternoon session would be perfect. The ferry is definitely a good option. My only feedback would be the wine list - needs updating to more well known products

Date of visit: July 2020