Open today: 8:00 am - 12:30 pm, 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Day trek to Simeien Mountains

Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Simien Mountains National Park
More Info
More Info
1,591 results
All reviews simien mountains gelada monkeys ethiopian wolf day trip ras dashen his team flora and fauna imet gogo days trekking tour operator rainy season contact details three days via email delicious food local guide great guide
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 May 2017

The Simiens were one of the highlights of the Ethiopia trip, stunning scenery and we were very well taken care of at our campsite. We saw gelada monkeys doing their thing, some bushbucks, loads of birds and even a token leopard (fleetingly). Our guide Desu was very knowledgeable on the ecosystem and geology and was keen to share his knowledge with us which made the walks all the more interesting and exciting. Our cook Alex cooked the best food we had the whole trip, and our driver Melis was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend a trip to the park as the scenery is really breathtaking and gives you a whole other perspective of the landscapes you see driving through. I can also recommend Desu and Melis who organised a great trip and took care of us, and who know a lot about a lot of interesting things! Thanks guys for a great trip!

Date of experience: December 2016
Reviewed 8 May 2017

We stayed at the lovely LimaLimo Lodge for two nights - a great location with great views in an eco-minded facility. The staff was super friendly & helpful providing great service all around. They even took great care to manage all of our vegan food preferences - even boxing up lunches for us during our treks and our travel back to the airport.

We also greatly appreciated the services of our park guide, Desalgn Mesafint (Desu, desalgn2012@gmail.com). He was incredibly knowledgeable about the park, the wildlife, the flora, the fauna and Ethiopian culture and history in general. He was able to identify the flower, plants, and birds by name. We loved all the Gelada we encountered and could have watched them for hours! We got to see pretty much the whole range of behavior -
playing, eating, mating, resting.... While the Gelada are wary of people, they are not afraid so we were able to observe the quite closely.

The hike and drive were absolutely beautiful. Wish we had more time to continue trekking. We'll just have to come back.

The park was sparsely visited or maybe it's just so huge that you rarely see other visitors. We saw only one other party (outside the people who live in the park) during a full day visit. It's like having your own private Grand Canyon (US) to visit. Peaceful and beautiful.

The park does require both a guide and scout along with a driver. Because it's remote, pack your water, food, and sunscreen. There are no real stops within the park - just one other lodge we came across.

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank Cheryl T
Reviewed 7 May 2017

I started my trek as a general one way ticketed adventure (I recommend this for those that are able to get away away) from Addis Ababa, and with help was able to ride buses to towards Simien saying 2-3 days at different places. One thing led to another and Taz Simien at taz.simien@gmail.com (+251933181780 or 0933181780) was recommended before I arrived in Debark. This was the best three day tour (they have longer) both in nature and knowledge. It's a hike, but it's a wonderful exploration of self and everything was taken care of from food to shelter to knowledge transfer about the area. They were even able to cater to my Vegan diet...but one word of advice for those that are eating plant based, bring snacks you can nibble on. I strongly recommend soliciting Taz at the before mentioned website to show you this amazing part of this world.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 2 May 2017

I booked with Yalew, a private guide that I found out about on here. Amazing and beautiful scenery, such a unique experience and the food was wonderfully cooked for us everyday!

Date of experience: June 2016
1  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

I went on a 5 day trek in the Simien Mountains with my son and honestly it was one of the most unique experiences of my life. The landscape was breathtaking and different than anything I had seen before. We saw jelada monkeys unique to this region as well as rare species of beautiful birds. The trek itself was tough but very fun, we went with a guide and a scout and upon reaching our destination for the day we would eat a surprisingly tasty dinner prepared by our cook. I especially recommend the guide we went with. He is a great guy, apparently one of the best. His name is Taz. He has his own website at simienethiopiatrekking.com and if you plan to visit the Simien Mountains some day you should seriously get in touch with him. I honestly recommend this trip to anyone.

Date of experience: April 2017