“Quiet Place to Rest and Central Place for...”
other travellers have booked this property
A bedroom with a view and breeze
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
A bedroom with a view and breeze
Kitchen/ dinning area
Kitchen and dinning area are open with large counters
The howler Monkeys will entertain you deckside
Typical Sunset with Iguana - this big guy lives here too
Guest from Nanimo, B.C, Canada, shooting incredible photos from the deck
An amazing photo taken by a guest from B.C. right from the deck
Photos taken by guest from deck
bathroom with shower and view
Some evenings 15 pairs of Parrots will land in the trees beside the house
Bathroom is accessible to the bedroom
Brand new kitchen!
A walk through the village on the way to the Black Orchid Resort
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 25 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
RJKDPM
“Horrible 2 day stay at the Luxury Treehouse”
Reviewed 9 March 2016 for a stay in March 2016

I booked my stay months ago for a quiet family vacation in Belize. The choices of our destinations and lodgings were carefully chosen for a relaxing and very laid back, low key vacation. Erika, the host at the Howler House, also known as the "Romantic Luxury Treehouse vacation rental" is located in Burrell Boom, Belize. The host, Erika advertises her treehouse as "a romantic getaway".

The home is a basically a wooden house, elevated by wood stilts and sits alongside the river. Erika, the host, did NOT share with me that the two days of our stay would coincide with the largest canoe race in Central America, the Ruta Maya. Day 3 of the race ends in a public park in Burrell Boom adjacent to the Treehouse's property, and Day 4 of the race starts again in Burrell Boom at 7am, with the canoes and spectators loudly passing along the banks of the river and the treehouse. The festivities started shortly after our arrival. Non-stop music blasting over loud speakers that could be heard throughout the whole village until 3am both days and nights of our stay. We barely slept each night. In addition, 2000+ people converged on Burrell Boom making our stay anything but romantic, or a get-away.

Erika has a designated driver, Andrew, to transport guests from the airport to and from the house, and he is allegedly available for tours. He picked us up in a van with a cardboard sheet covering up his whole rear window which apparently was completely shattered. Empty beer bottles were in the storage area of the van for our luggage.

Andrew charges $50 for the 20+ mile trip, versus The Black Orchid Resort which is nearby the Treehouse which I recently learned charges a flat rate of $15.

When Andrew gave us the tour of the Treehouse he showed us a cell phone pre-loaded with all the numbers we would need should we need to contact anyone with questions or for help, or to arrange a tour, etc. Unfortunately, the cellphone battery was dead and Erika, the host, took the charger back with her as one of her previous guests apparently stole her other charger. That left us with no direct line of communication with Erika.

We shared with Andrew that we would like to schedule a tour on Sunday to the Mayan Ruins. He sent me a text to my cellphone at 8:15am which I did not notice immediately, I replied shortly thereafter and Andrew shared that he had already rented his van to a friend and would not be available for a tour during our short stay at the Treehouse. Upon our departure, I sent an email to Erika detailing our experience and our discontent with our stay. I earnestly tried to reach a reasonable resolution with the host to no avail.

For those travelers considering a visit to Burrell Boom, I would strongly suggest alternative accommodations at the local resort, The Black Orchid. They have dedicated staff, tours, and management to resolve any problems that might arise.

I am a regular reviewer on Trip Advisor and I believe this is my first negative review.

Management Response
10 Mar 2016
Robert sent a resolution request to Airbnb - and the results are in: I had already offered Robert and his family a free night on a return visit, and apologies many times for their unhappiness. The Airbnb resolution people have talked to me and said that my offer was kind and they can see from my numerous reviews that I am indeed a very helpful host with an excellent record.
The problem is, that Robert did not contact me, or my manager who lives right up the street, or Tinnie - who past guests know well. Instead, they left the house on the morning of day three - end emailed me at noon that day, expecting a full refund. You can see my response that I sent to Robert here:

Hello Rob, I am sorry you did not enjoy the festivities of Ruta Maya. When you booked in December I was not aware that March 5th was going to be the date for Ruta Maya, it changes every year, if I had known - I would indeed have mentioned the race. Belizans love to celebrate, and this was a big weekend all over the country, I doubt there is a single village that was quiet this weekend; the entire country was listening to loud music and dancing all night long. As you say, the Ruta Maya is a big National celebration - and this was also Barron Bliss weekend - a holiday. Indeed, you were here for one of the major cultural celebrations of the year -- and we love to celebrate: welcome to Belize. I spoke with Andrew, he phoned at 8:15 as arranged, but when you had not responded two hours later, he couldn't afford to loose a day's income on this big weekend, so he went ahead and rented his van. But, that did not mean you were stuck. I wish you had contacted me or Miss Erlean, my manager, that morning - by phone or by email, or Erlean's house is just up the road, as you can see from the map -- and I/we would have made other arrangements for you - Black Orchid is just down the street and as you know, they also offer tours and transportation. But, your email did not come through until late Monday, after you had left. I did indeed respond to your message within a few hours of it being sent; the message arrived in my box at 12:40 yesterday - and I replied at 6:40 , as soon as I checked my email. I have a 100 percent response rate and am diligent about ensuring my guests are happy and comfortable. A phone call on the first morning would have had results. If you couldn't get me, the number for Miss Erlean, my manager is right on the wall, and again, she lives right up the road? In your message to me, after you had left, you said you did not think you should have to" chase after my surrogates" - but the guest book explains that Miss Erlean is my manager, a well paid employee who takes care of my guest in my absence - with no previous complaints and lots of excellent reviews about how good a job the Howler House staff does taking care of guests, after three years of business. While I did respond to you email, before you sent the Airbnb a complaint, I did not respond with a answer to your request for a total refund immediately, because I wanted time to reflect on what is fair in this situation, as I said in the email. I keep coming back to - why didn't you phone me on Sunday morning? Because you did not phone or email me and make me aware of your unhappiness until after you left, I do not think it is fair for you to ask me to return the rental income. One phone call and I would have arranged for Black Orchid to come and pick you up. Or, indeed, you could have phoned Black Orchid for a tour and transportation - their number is in my book. Indeed, you could have contacted them yourselves? They are a 10 min bike ride down the road. I would be happy to extend you a discount on your next visit to the Howler House. I am not sure where you are now in Belize, but, I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. And, I truly am sorry that you did not enjoy your time at the Howler House. In the future I will be sure to let guests know that Ruta Maya is a BIG celebration weekend all over Belize. Thank you, One Love & Respect, Erika
Nicole S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Quiet Place to Rest and Central Place for Excursions”
Reviewed 19 November 2015 for a stay in November 2015

We loved our stay at the Howler House! Unfortunately for us it rained on and off the 2 nights/3 days we were there, but we thought it was a great place to be under those circumstances. The screened in porches and hammocks were perfect for enjoying the outdoors while staying dry! The whole place felt very romantic and was clean and peaceful. It would make a great place to stay for a night or two on your way to/from the airport (only about 30 min drive).

Burrell Boom is a small town (as in, when you walk into town, everyone says "you must be guests at the Howler House!") which we loved. Nothing touristy about that place! Very safe. Just make sure you buy your supplies by the airport before you get there. We were sad to find no coffee filters in town, but Nescafe got us our caffeine fix! :-) The food was spectacular at the local restaurants.

Andrew was really helpful in setting us up with a tour to Lamanai. He even continued helping us set up tours when we continued our vacation in Hopkins. Even though Burrell Boom doesn't have much activity, this place is a great central location for going on excursions in many different parts of Belize!

The only cons I would say is: we didn't know how close it was to another house on the property (for some reason we thought it would be more secluded), there was not much variety for places to eat if you are there for a long time, and we thought it was a little expensive compared to other rental properties in Belize. However, it was still very enjoyable!

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Eric W
Jacksboro, Texas, United States
“Howler House and Burrell Boom = Awesome Getaway”
Reviewed 14 October 2015 for a stay in October 2015

Howler House was just what our family was looking for! We had a wonderful time at the house and in the community of Burrell Boom. The name is a bit deceiving if you are looking for Luxury, like it says It is not the Hilton. Romantic, Yes...Luxury, maybe Luxury Camping, I would name it Romantic, Eclectic Riverside Treehouse. It is decorated wonderfully with bright colors, and you are one with nature which was fabulous! The home provides all the necessities and more. The only negative was that we had internet problems all week, was very slow at the times it did work. I don't know if this is normal and I will note we did not contact Erika about the internet and just made do. I would definitely stop in Ladyville at the grocery store if you are planning on many home cooked meals, we were told we could get pretty much anything in Boom but found that not so. They were all small, general store types and were awesome, we visited frequently but they do not have a full scale grocery store. If you are a coffee drinker, you can NOT get coffee beans or grounds in Boom, only instant coffee (we checked out every store in Boom).

The Howler monkeys came to visit and I was nervous of them "howling" all night but we only heard them 1 night (for a short time) during our stay but they are very vocal during the daytime hours. Unfortunately we did not get a visit from "Shakira" the crocodile.
We enjoyed the canoe Erika provides. We were a family of 4 and enjoyed a day trip canoeing up the river, exploring creeks and then coming back down river to The Black Orchid for a delicious lunch and a swim in their pool. Day 3 led us on a day bicylcle ride to Shane's families howler monkey attraction. Around a 10 mile trip one way, we enjoyed seeing the country side of Burrell Boom upclose and personal. 20 mile bike trip sounds long but it was a wonderful experience. Erika was very accomodating and when I ask for 2 additional bikes for our family of 4, she came through and they were there waiting our arrival. Day 4 we rented a car and visited Altun Ha ruins which is only 30 minutes away and day 5 we drove to Belmopan to the Inland Blue Hole and St Hermans Cave. Burrell Boom was a great centrally located area to stay. The community has several wonderful eating places and everyone was very friendly. We always felt safe and our children rode bikes all over Burrell Boom alone.
With the location of the Howler House sitting directly on the river in the jungle surroundings and the people of Boom, we couldn't have asked for a better getaway!

Travelling group: Young Children
PixelDad
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to start your holiday in Belize”
Reviewed 29 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015

Burrell Boom is a great place for a first stop as it's an easy drive from the airport but is out into the countryside. The village is on the Belize River with a small scattering of houses, churches and a football pitch. Howler House is set high on stilts by the river. The land around is not developed, so you are not overlooked. There is another house on the plot but we never saw them.
The house is lovely. It has a homely feel, with the owner’s own furnishings. Adequate range of cooking utensils etc. to self-cater. Stock up at the Skyline supermarket on the way from the airport as there are only little stores in Burrell Boom.
Places to eat: The previous guests have given lots of ideas and comments in the visitors book which was really helpful. We ate at Miss Carol’s which was quirky but fun, at the local Chinese takeaway and at the Black Orchid Resort.

We enjoyed relaxing on the balcony, watching the wildlife. The Belize river was very quiet, no passing river traffic at all.We loved using the canoe provided to go canoeing up the river. One day we visited Belize City.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet surroundings with view of the river
Travelling group: Teenagers
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
dcollicut...
Winnipeg, Canada
“Beautiful House on the river”
Reviewed 28 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015

My friend and I stayed in the Howler House for 3 days in January. It is beautiful. The house has all the amenities including cooking utensils, rain shower, free bikes, wifi, and hammocks overlooking the river. The wildlife in that area is staggering as well, iguanas and birds everywhere you look, howler monkeys serenading you at night, and a friendly crocodile named Shakira in the pond. The canoe on the river is awesome for anyone that wants to get out into the thick of nature.

Andrew picked us up and dropped us off at the airport upon arrival and gave us all the info and where to go in town. Expensive though, as he ended up charging us $140 USD for there and back, which was kind of crazy, you could probably get a taxi there cheaper.

The only bad part about the house was the bug problem. We must have been bit a thousand times. We did have mosquito nets over our bed though which was nice.

All in all a gorgeous and quiet place to stay.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Canoeing on the river and the howler monkeys
Liked least: The bugs and the price of car ride
Travelling group: Friends
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing