All reviews continental breakfast bunk beds family room ensuite room the owner scones aran islands yogurt stay there again the location is perfect the pub porridge the cliff live music anthony dorm moher
Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

The hostel was pretty basic. The key for the private room is the same as the key of the front door what everyone in the hostel has. It is very strange to me...the hostel is in a good location, there is bus 350 just outside of the hostel. anyway overall it was okay.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Slapping “hostel” on an establishment creates a certain image, at least for me. Should it have the same response for you, Doolin Hostel is the place to visit to reflect on your preconceived notions. After parking and checking in at the Doolin Inn directly across the street, we walked over and up to our second floor room. We were two in a bunk room for 4, which was certainly very spacious, with an en suite. Both the room and bathroom felt clean, polished, and modern. The entryway, lobby and dining space, and even the stairwell felt the exact opposite-old world, charming, and homey. From the woodwork to the tiles on the floor to the stove that would come to be lit later on the evening of our stay, the space was very inviting. We likely didn’t spend more than a waking hour in the hostel, instead spending time at the Cliffs and out in Doolin, but the space left a mark on us both. Doolin was absolutely charming, and the Doolin Hostel makes for an excellent base to explore the area from. Slept like a rock, partook of the expanded continental breakfast, and hit the road on our Irish adventure.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 September 2018

We arrived late in the afternoon and found the only available room, which unfortunately had bunk beds and some problems with the sink drain. Even less fortunately, a young traveller spent much of the evening speaking – too loudly – on a phone call while walking in the corridor, and let's say we learned much of his travel experience. The staff is very kind (they also own the hotel opposite the hostel), and one can lower his expectation for a night during a trip on the road. But the wi-fi please-do-not-upload-photos-or-play-any-video rule is just ludicrous, as well as the inexplicable lack of eggs at breakfast. Not a disaster, but if I had more time I would have chosen something maybe a bit more far, but much more comfortable.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
DoolinHostel, Owner at Doolin Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2018

Dear David

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear another guest stood outside your bedroom door to have a chat on his phone. Great to hear you found the staff very friendly and we agree we do have the best location in Doolin. We are a hostel which traditionally have bunk beds which is what we advertise. Breakfast is a continental breakfast and we are budget accommodation not a B&B or Hotel hence the great budget price especially considering the great location in the center of Doolin. But this means some of the services of a more expensive hotel / B&B are missed.

But if next time you are looking for a bit more pampering may I suggest our Doolin Inn across the road from the hostel which offers a great cooked breakfast, doubles, twins and family rooms to a 3 star hotel standard. But it is more expensive (although still great value)to reflect the extra services and we advise booking in advance especially in high season as rooms sell out fast, booking direct gives the best rates.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland

Much appreciated.
Anthony

Reviewed 8 September 2018

I stayed here a few months ago, and my time here was nothing special. I witnessed the owner belittling a member of staff in front of me and a few others. The food was average, I have stayed at other hostels where the food has been amazing. Also, the price for staying there for 1 night was extortionate. There are only two bathrooms downstairs, each have a toilet, shower and a sink. There was only 1 hand towel to share with many people, which I find highly unhygienic. In the kitchen there is a fridge for everyone to use, and when I went to find milk for my tea, it was expired. Also, the reception is in the Doolin Inn, which I find very unorganized.

Room tip: Get yourself the room with the view of the chicken farm.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

I was disappointed to read your review and unsure of your expectations as this is the only review you have written, and I wonder why you waited a couple of months to share your experience, and marked so us harshly with such strong language. Where you having a bad day? Every room has its own bathroom and the only dormitory which you stayed in downstairs has two bathrooms. Shared dormitory guests normally bring their own towel. I take offence to your comments on a staff issue, I am sorry I do recollect it nor does my wife. But on any given day if we need to give direction for tasks to be completed, such as out of date milk in the fridge which I am sorry we missed.
The price for a dormitory bed ranges from €19 - €29 with continental breakfast buffet, free wifi, free parking, depending on how you book and when. Which is very average for a hostel of our standard. Extortionate?, I am sorry you felt that way.
Best wishes
Anthony and Deirdre

Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

Location good as 2km from ferry to Aaron Islands, bus outside to Limerick And 7km from Cliffs of Moher. Breakfast of scones, breads, porridge, juices, ham and cheese etc. Very good. My only criticism is that kitchen locked at 9.30pm so you can't even have a cup of tea before bed and it doesn't open again til 7.30 (7.45 breakfast starts) They said it was for insurance reasons but all other hostels we've stayed at have a night porter lock later and open earlier but nothwithstanding this, we can totally recommend it. Great Irish welcome. Our room had towels by the way and it was clear how to get key plus they didn't mind that we arrived early.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and got to enjoy your stay so much. Due to the size of our property we do not have a night porter and have gas cookers in the kitchen and for the safety and comfort of all our guests we do lock the kitchen from 9.30pm-7.30am. Sadly very few insurance companies will cater for hostels and by us locking the kitchen at night it has helped us helped immensely.
Great to hear you felt really welcome.

Much appreciated