“Good Hotel Restuarant”

The Square Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 65 Restaurants in Claremont
Cuisines: Sushi, Contemporary, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Square Restaurant is a magnificent glass-roofed restaurant with tranquil green surrounds. The indoor trees make one feel in tune with nature and create an intimate atmosphere, which compliments the superb cuisine. This wonderful ambience is enhanced by harp or piano music. The award-winning wine list completes this enjoyable dining experience, with all the major estates represented as well as some "off-the-beaten-track" choices.
Reviewed 10 October 2018

During the stay at the Vineyard Hotel having dinner here was easy. On some nights there is a pianist playing which adds to the mood. Service was okay, food on par. We enjoyed the music the most really. Food is good. I find it a standard offering and doubt I would go to this place if I did not stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Yep, the food was delicious. Also the life music was beautiful.

There are just many details I did not like. We waited 5mins until a waiter gave us a table. They totally ignored us.

Our table was set in a miserable way. I had just one knife and they did not bring me a 2nd one or the forks.

A table blanket was on the floor next to us the whole night.

They changed our waiter around 4 times. And only one of them were pretty nice. Her name was Noeema.

When I asked, if we can order one glas of wine and share it together in two glases, they denied it. I did not ask that cuz I am stingy, it is because we both can not drink a lot alcohol and I don´t want to waist the wine.

But still the biggest problem were the unpolite waiters we met there...

The food, especialy the sashimi was great. But why do they serve it with the cheap Kikoman soysauce? There are 1000 of different soysauces in this world, but why this cheap export Kikoman...

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Hi

So, we’re veggies and this place has been struggling to enter this new age. Since my last visit, they have made great strides!
Just remember that South Africa is a place where meat and fish are the usual plate-fancies and favorites! Along comes a veggie to spoil their show ....
Not this lot - they listened and they delivered, despite the fact that what I got was not on their menu

Well done and many thanks

Reviewed 7 July 2018

I had two dinners here during a ten day stay.

I think the menu is a bit limited but the ambience and atmosphere is excellent as are the pianist and harpist ( on different nights) - a particular word of praise for John, one of the pianists - a real star.

I had two different service experiences - on the first evening Thembeka the waitress was brilliant - very knowledgeable and helpful. The steak was good as was the creme brulee. On my second visit the service was very poor - the waitress brought the dessert menu but did everything else other than take my order. From speaking to a local lady at an adjoining table it does seem that service in The Square at dinner can be a problem. I presume the Manager was the one in a smart blue striped shirt and he just seemed intent on clearing plates rather than doing his job which in my view was to manage, supervise and oversee.

For just about the first time ever I didn't leave a tip and told the waitress why, as well as completing the standard comments form. Overall disappointing and could do better.

Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile