Review Highlights

Reviewed 24 February 2021
HenrikWalther
Horsens, Denmark
Good course

Eight of us had a great day out, course in excellent condition, caddies very friendly, drinks very... read more

Reviewed 16 February 2020
quadbogey
Harvey, Australia

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews hua hin fairways caddies courses banyan rounds
Selected filters
Reviewed 19 February 2024

One of the nicest Place around Hua Hin - much better than for example Black Mountain. Her in Sea Pines you feel very welcome, everything is very clean and i had the best Caddie ( 177 ) from my two weeks golfing in Thailand. Very friendly, and very professionell , she plays a 14 Handicap. Tis beautiful view to sea is marvelous fantastic. Sea Pine with Palm Hill an Banyaan are the best. Thank you Sea Pine for the fantastic day. Greetings Marcel Zobrist

Date of experience: February 2024
Reviewed 28 December 2023

We booked through a reputable 'booking' agent we've used before for this same course and must immediately say that in no way were they to blame, they have actually gone out of their way to apologise and refund us for what we experienced.

***********************************************

I'll try and keep this brief and factual:

1. The reviews online suggest the course is in poor condition. Actually, I thought it was fine... a little dry in parts of the fairway but certainly not sodden. Let me also say that I played appallingly for the six holes we managed so I can't comment much on the greens but they looked good to me.

2. We arrived and could see just a sea of buggies and groups of four ahead. Understandable, it is high season and when we asked whether we could change dates the pro shop, initially, seemed amenable. However when they said 'just go out 30 minutes later' I was fooled into trusting the said folks and we (me playing alone) set off on time.

3. After approaching two hours, we made it to the eighth tee. I'd walked most of the previous holes and all of the seventh - see below - and not spent long on the green (as per above and below). We arrived to watch a group of four take around 14 minutes - I timed them - to drive off. There were four groups stuck here and it was immediately apparent that there was no course management or marshalling going on. It was, to put it bluntly, chaos.

4. I'll be circumspect on this next point but it was clearly frustrating for all but I was very disconcerted by the group behind us who had decided to tee off from the blues when I was just leaving the yellows. There are big distances between these boxes on this course but it was dangerous. The ball landed 20 yards in front of me, bounced on in a straight line and stopped. We were at the tee on 7, 11 is parallel in the opposite direction and it is at the far end of the course so no other holes aligned due W-E.

5. AT THIS POINT we'd expect the caddy to intervene and they are supposed to have strict rules about this kind of thing. I'm not able to go into full details but it was patently clear that a) there was no marshalling or control on the course b) the behaviour of the caddies was at best dodgy and in reality a complete farce and c) that the supposed 'pro' shop was as interested in the clients and their customers as well as if they had been shut. It was a shambles.

I've learned two lessons from this experience that was heading towards 4,000 baht for six holes of golf (green fee, caddie fee, cart, walking companion, caddie tip and other bits). The first is that Sea Pines isn't fully under control and the reviews should point out that the overall experience is at best poor and potentially downright dangerous.

We eventually found someone - K. Kate - who was a manager and she was the only person who acted courteously and considerately. I don't know here role - there were some suggestions about two separate operating companies? - but she did offer us a refund of some of the other fees. As noted above, the entirely innocent booking company has also been kind enough to refund our fee, so we are less impacted.

BUT

Here's what you should also watch out for at Sea Pines, it's the second problem . I'd read reviews that suggested that there were problems with the caddies there. We'd experienced none of that on the previous visits we'd had, they'd all been angels, they even laughed at my jokes.

The caddie we had this time was... appalling. She twice walked up to my ball and picked it up and moved it onto the fairway in an effort, would you believe, to hurry us up! It felt wrong from the moment she walked down from the caddie area - you just know these things - and it was the most uncomfortable experience. She didn't actually have a clue where the ball was heading - to be fair it was appallingly random but my wife found more balls than her - but as soon as the ball landed from behind, she should have done something. She didn't and it was only as I spoke to the relevant group with K. Kate that I realised what the biggest problem is with Sea Pines.

Our caddy and the caddies of the group behind us - who also put a ball through the group in front of them on 9 after we walked off at 7 - were all of the 'low number' brigade. IMHO they've been there far too long and have been allowed to take over the course without any customer management or on course supervision. You don't have a choice about a caddie in Thailand but I've never had this experience before.

Play at Sea Pines with these cautions then: it really is a lovely course and a stunning location but it has almost zero regard for the golfer and seems designed for the benefit of the employees, not the customers. Same applies to the restaurant btw.

Incidentally, if you want to know... we tipped the said lady the full amount (500 baht) for her exceptional service for the six holes. It's a terrible job and I'm sure that there are as many bad customers as there are bad caddies - we've seen some of the former - but until they sort this aspect of the course out, along with proper flow management, it is well worth avoiding.

It's cheap at 1,200 baht. There is a reason it is that price... and it is not a positive one.

Date of experience: December 2023
Reviewed 7 November 2023

Let me start on a positive note : the location of the six holes by the sea (1-2-15-16-17-18) is a nice asset of this golf course. But I fear this is the only one.... Otherwise, this was a completely negative experience. Practice facilities are in a state of disrepair and not usable. The golf course itself is barely maintained : fairways not mowed, weeds everywhere, greens in very poor condition (many damaged areas and very irregular in terms of speed), bunkers even in worse condition (not raked, hard surface, not enough sand, mud and weeds in some bunkers)... Price-quality ratio is NOT CORRECT, I would not go back there unless the condition of the course is drastically improved. The caddy did her best,but was clearly also aware that this golf course is doomed if management does not improve urgently.

Date of experience: November 2023
Reviewed 14 February 2023 via mobile

We played the course 5 times during our stay (packed trip) and were shifting between 7 golf courses during our trip.
Sea pine is the worst, the management (new owners I am told) has let the course deteriorate from our last visit in 2019.
Fairways bad, greens not good, bunkers had grass in some of them are caddies didn’t bother raking them most of the time.
It was 32 degrees C today and the drinks you brought on the ground were not cold, female toilets missing paper. Caddies were most of the rounds not very good and their language skills sub par. We only ate at the restaurant the first time and decided that it too wasn’t worth eating at.
If you want to play golf and can avoid this course then do. The sense is that management is trying to milk the players and only put at little as possible in to maintenance.
There are 8 courses around Hua Hin and we played them all the ranking is as follows:

1) Banyan/Blacks Mountain

3-4) Palm Hills/ Springfield
5-6) Majestic Creek/ Lake View

7) Royal Hua Hin
8) Sea pine

The 3-6 are very close but a step down from 1 and last 2 you only need to play if you want to play and the first 6 is occupied.

Date of experience: February 2023
Reviewed 24 February 2021

Again I visited this nice golf court a couples of times. It is so nice located at the sea front. Golf equipment for rental needs up-dating!

Date of experience: March 2020