“ghost town reception!”
Review of Leenane Hotel

Leenane Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Leenane
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We decided to spend a couple of days around Connemara and subsequently booked an overnight stay at the Leenane Hotel. It was booked via the internet, to include breakfast and eveneing meal. In addition I also phoned the hotel to confirm the checking in time of 2.00pm onwards. On the day we were due to arrive we travelled down from Ballina Co. Mayo. we left around midday and upon arrival at Leenane (1.45pm) decide to take in a cruise up the Killary Fjord. We eventually arrived at the hotel at around 4.00pm. Unfortunately there didn't appear to be any members of staff around the reception area, so after standing there for around five minutes I decided to venture into the hotel bar to see if there was a member of bar staff who could locate someone from reception. Again after waiting at the bar for around five minutes or so, it was apparent there was also a shortage of bar staff. So I returned to reception, whereby now another half a dozen residents waiting to check in were also looking somewhat perplexed. After a further ten minutes a member of staff appeared from the bar area (it would seem the reception & bar staff were one and the same person!) No apology just a, 'who's first to be booked in?'
I replied 'we were here first ... that would be about twenty minutes ago', again nothing said, just head down and on with the form filling etc. We were allocated a room in the new section and made our way there only to find it was not ready, sheets & towels strewn all over the floor etc. We carted our luggage back down stairs to the reception
and told the receptionist that she must have booked us into the wrong room as it wasn't made. She replied it was the correct room, but they had been very busy and were running behind schedule, so if we would like to take a drink in the bar, our room would be ready in an hour. Seeing that the same person who was looking after the reception was also looking after the bar it was not unreasonable to deduct we could be waiting a while for our drink, so we decided to take a walk into the village and call in a bar there instead. (both bars in the village, Gaynors & Hamiltons, have good atmosphere) we returned to the hotel a good hour later and eventually got into our room. Which I have to say was very nice. Apparently the new section had only opened in 2010 so it would appear we landed on our feet with the allocation at least. The room itself was very spacious, nicely decorated and furnished, a double & single bed, excellent en suite, incorporating bath and seperate shower. There was also a small balcony with spectacular views over the mountains & killary harbour. We went down for our evening meal around 7.15pm which again I have to say was produced to a very high standard, we had fish (monk fish & salmon) but after speaking to other residents most dishes on the menu was of a similar standard. The following morning we enjoyed a first class full irish breakfast, again couldn't fault it. I can't vouch for the rooms in the established part of the hotel but I got the impression they were somewhat less spacious and the furniture was a bit 'tired'. Certainly the public areas, lobby, reception and bar etc. look a bit passed the sell by date. (some nice paintings though) It also has to be said some of the staff are not the warmest I,ve ever encountered. However all in all, we both enjoyed our overnight stay at the Leenane Hotel and as a result would probably recommend it to a friend ... or anyone else for that matter!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lowry66

Reviewed 21 September 2010

I stayed for three nights at the Leenane in September, the hotel is wonderful, the view jaw dropping. I was fortunate enough to have a front facing room, my overriding memory is watching the daybreak from my balcony, the food is second to none, I would go as far as to say the best I had on my tour on Ireland. Staff are pleasant and friendly, the first night I was there the restaurant was very busy with coach tours, but I still did not have an overlong wait. The residents lounge is superb, with open fire, tons of books, t'v and lovely comfotable large furniture, one night of my stay there was free live Irish music in the bar. Short drive up to Nancys point for a90 minute trip on the Connemara Lady. I wish I could have stayed longer, I'll certainly return. Excellent value for money, none of this leaving with a vague idea you've been ripped off!! NEVER.... The village to is lovely, shops don't overcharge and full of friendly pleasant people.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 September 2010

You really can't beat this location - most rooms overlook the harbour, the rooms are stylish and clean, and the pub dishes out affordable food and a good range of beers. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again, as the location alone is stunning.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2010

Stumbled upon this hotel after cancelling at the hostel up the road(another story), stayed in the annex section (motel style) of the Leenane Hotel. Rooms were spacious, central heating effective and bed comfortable, Walk next door to the hotel for a great evening meal and then back again in the morning for the full breakfast. View from front window was magnificent scenic view of the Killary (Ireland's only Fjiord), Staff were all friendly and room clean and tidy.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I was hiking the Western Way and what should I find as I entered the town of Leeane but a wonderful spa bath and delightful pub. Great way to take care of my feet and my stomach! The seaweed bath was just what I needed at the end of a long footsore day: beautiful scenery as I relaxed in a tub of hot salt water. Dinner was wonderful from the goat cheese and beet salad to fresh mackeral dinner topped off with a wonderful chocoate pudding! Would return again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leenane
4.4 km away
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
25 km away
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Leenane Hotel? Share your experiences!