“Felt like a princess”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 17 January 2011

my sister and I stayed one night at Dromoland Castle on our last day in Ireland - a true treat! Beautiful sunny day made it even better! We enjoyed the grounds more than anything - borrowing the free bycicles, we biked the whole grounds twice. amazing views, very relaxing, watched the sun set sitting on the dock, watching the ducks. We truly felt at peace, like princesses. Thought the service was fine, although little choice in places to eat but the in-house dining room... unless you drive to town (we ordered room service). A bit pricey but a great treat.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,540)

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We Stayed in Dromoland for a two night break in Jan 2011. We had booked a Queen Ann room (including breakfast) through the Dromoland web site. Given that we arrived late in the afternoon, check in was brisk. We were shown to our room soon after by John who explained the layout of the castle. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with views overlooking the lake. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned I was in this part of the castle, I had read a review previous to my trip on trip advisor of room 108 and it was not very complementary, our room 105 was fine however, despite the fact that we were under the kitchen/dining room and could hear some noise over head. Our en Suite was nice and compact, not over luxurious. I spotted some poor grounting in the tiling that needs to be fixed, something small I know but this is a 5 star hotel! Only on the last evening of our stay did I realised that we were not staying in the Queen Ann Court area of the castle and were therefore not in a Queen Ann room but we had actually received a complementary upgrade, although reception had not informed us of this-silly mistake to make as it would have made our evening more enjoyable to hear we had received a complementary upgrade. Friends of ours were staying in the hotel at the same time and they had paid 60 euro for their upgrade, it seemed silly to upgrade a customer and not inform them of their upgrade. A small mistake on the receptionist’s part. None the less we enjoyed our stay; we made use of the complementary hot tub in the spa, cycled/walked around the grounds, took the boat out to the lake and made use of the leisure centre. Here I felt that the leisure centre was dated in comparison to other five star hotels, this is understandable given that Dromoland is essentially an old premises, but it does not compare with its sister hotel The Castlemartyr Resort in this respect. The changing rooms are also dated and tired looking. Food in Dromoland is exquisite, breakfast delicious, rich food, beautiful presented -full for the day! Dinner and Fine dining was also excellent. The Earl of Thomond room provided for a luxurious dining experience, delicious locally sourced food, and game fresh from the estate with the restaurant boasting its own vegetarian menu.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peadar24
Reviewed 9 January 2011

From the beginning till the end the whole experience was truly amazing. I wish I could have stayed longer, I hated leaving. The staff were really friendly, warm and chatty they made me feel very relaxed. I am from a very working class background, so I was slightly expecting them to be patronsing and snobby in such a nice hotel. The staff were completely the opposite and genuinely interested in me as a person and my needs. The castle itself is beautiful, it felt like we had gone back in time. You can feel a really magical atmosphere there. The room was beautiful with an antique style but with modern ameneties. The bed was huge! The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. All the small touches like the cards that are left on your bed with little quotes and chocolates made us feel very special. The food was top class, quite pricey but I have nothing bad to say about the food at all. We did not stay for long so we didn't get to see everything and try everything, but hopefully in the future we would love to return and stay for longer. I would definatley reccomend this place for a romantic break. Especially if you want romance or to bring the spark back into your relationship. The only bad thing I can say is that our room was a little cold, but when we rang reception they sent 2 people to our room to sort it out. I hope one day we will return, it was like a dream come true.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I felt like I belonged there...we were welcomed warmly and treated in a royal manner.
There was a respect for the milieux...a presence of god and beauty.

The date was November 2007...I couldn't get the date of stay box to work.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2010

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary. We had booked a deluxe room and received a complimentary upgrade to a stateroom, the room was beautiful, the bathroom was fine, could use a re-vamp to a more luxurious finish. The Hotel had left a small box of chocolates and a card to congratulate us on our anniversary which was a nice touch. Breakfast was lovely lots of choice both of continental buffet and hot a la carte options. The Earl of Thomond restaurant was fabulous plenty of choice and carries an extensive wine list. The gallery and drawing room offer casual dinning options for both lunch and dinner aswell as elevenses or afternoon tea. Unfortunately the gallery fire place was extremely smokey which my husband and I found hard on my nose and throat and more than a little nauseating. I don't know if that's a regular occurance or if we were just unlucky, it was exceptionally cold weather during our stay. The grounds around the castle are fabulous and very extensive and there was a lot of native wildlife to see in the woodlands and undergrowth. The golf course was closed due to the freezing conditions so I can't comment. I did get a hot stone massage which I thoroughly enjoyed the spa is very pleasant. We didn't use the leisure center its located in the golf club house and we felt that the weather was too cold. The staff were helpful and attentive, particularly in the reception and the drawing room and gallery. Overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank curly-blue
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
0.9 km away
11.1 km away
Bunratty Manor Hotel
Bunratty Manor Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bunratty

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!