“Dromoland only okay”

Dromoland Castle Hotel
Reviewed 7 July 2007

My husband and I spent 1 night at Dromoland in June. I had been looking forward to staying there, but was not duly impressed. The living accommodations were all in wings that had been added much later. Ours was a room that was fine, but not special, ditto with the walled garden and the food. There are no elevators.

I'd bypass it if I went again.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank barbara70
Write a ReviewReviews (3,601)

Reviewed 29 June 2007

Dromoland Castle is absolutely incredible. From the moment we pulled up in front of the Castle (with Aidan & Shane helping us) to the staff at the desk, to housekeeping. My husband had been injured during our trip and couldn't walk very well, much less up steps. They made sure we had a ground floor room and upgraded us at no additional charge. The room was enormous and beautiful. They made each one of us feel"special" including my 12 year old who they left her size slippers/robe for along with a Teddy Bear on her pillow and cookies and milk (with her name spelled correctly on the cookies) My daughters family also had a great room and my 3 year old grandson also got a bear slippers, robe in his size and cookies with his name. My husband said the golf was really good. the grounds & gardens were also amazing even though it was raining the first day we were there, the second day was warm and sunny. Everything about Dromoland was incredible, just friendly staff and happy people about everwhere.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank specialangel
Reviewed 8 June 2007

I could not recommend Dromoland Castle or it staff highly enough. This was to be a very special visit but, the staff, the castle, the location made it even more so. The mix of pride professionalism and pleasure experienced at Dromoland Castle should be bottled and sold as Pure Irish. To all the staff, from reception to the restaurant, from room service to gentleman who hauled our luggage up and down the stairs, I salute you one and all. My thanks for helping me to give my darling husband a brilliant and memorable weekend.....Yvonne Fitzpatrick-Grimes

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank leixlip
Reviewed 30 May 2007

My teenage daughter and I stayed here in April 2007. I was on a business trip, and our company rented the entire place for three days. We were really able to explore the grounds without alot of other people around. Best things first:
1. Castle is beautiful
2. Grounds are unbelieveable
3. Room was very nice (large and roomy)
4. Golf course is first class (So is the driving range)
5. Lake is very nice
6. You must rent a golf cart just to cruise the grounds
7. Horseback riding is a must

The not so wonderful things:
1. No air conditioning (what do you want it's an old castle)
2. My daughter thought some of the hallways were creepy at night (It's an old castle)
3. Because it is an old castle things are very spread out and not very convenient
4. Not a lot of things to do nearby
5. When alot of people are taking a shower at the same time we only got cold water. I talked to the front desk (manager) and she told me it is very common to run out of hot water at certain times of the day. Kinda sucked taking a cold shower, but we were at an old castle so you have to expect things like that.

Overall a very nice stay. I would go back. Couple of tips:

Book horseback riding direct with the farm. The front desk charges you if they book it. Make a reservation for a golf cart to cruise the grounds, they seem to book up quick.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank phillytraveler12
Reviewed 23 May 2007

We stayed in Dromoland for one night, from the minute we arrived we were treated brilliantly we found the staff very friendly and seemed to treat everyone the same. We ate in the main resteraunt and the food and wine were amazing. The bar staff were also fantastic. It is expensive but worth every penny. I was worried that the hotel would be snobby, it was far from it.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank farsidejim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket-on-Fergus
0.9 km away
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
23.2 km away
No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa

Been to Dromoland Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!