4,035 results
All reviews walled garden hawk walk golf course felt like royalty beautiful grounds dream come true cocktail bar falconry experience fig tree clay shooting horseback riding golf club our honeymoon once in a lifetime drawing room pony and trap stayed longer
Reviewed 4 May 2011

From the moment we drove into Dromoland myself and my friend were blown away. In every aspect of their customer service the staff are so professional. We were met immediately by the porter who took our bags to our rooms as we checked in at the amazing reception. As we were brought to our room we met some of the housekeepers. One in particular, Dolly, was so lovely in her manner. What you imagine a typical Irish woman to be...friendly and warm. She stood out throughout our stay at Dromoland. Always a warm smile and a friendly comment. We received a complimentary cheece plate and hot port at the bar which was delicious and kept us going until we ate dinner at the Fig Restaurant that night. We walked over to the restaurant through the gardens which were absolutely beautiful. The food was so delicious. I had seabass and it was yummy. The only negative thing I will say about the Fig restaurant is its just alittle too modern. We sat in the bar as this was much nicer. When we got back from the restaurant our windows were shut, curtaiins closed, beds turned down, chocolate with a little saying on our pillows, bath wiped down, shower wiped down, sinks wiped down, toothbrushes placed neatly by the sink and towels replaced. Wow!! Breakfast the next morning was fantastic. It is served in the Earl of Thomand dining room which in itself is fabulous. There is a wonderful choice of juices, breads, meats, cereals and pastries on the buffet table as well as a their breakfast menu. I had a full Irish breakfast which was so delicious that I had to have it again the next morning. I think we took an hour and a half to eat breakfast as it was so good. After breakfast we rode bikes around the grounds which are truly beautiful. That afternoon I sat in the drawing room and read my book. It was so peaceful in there. Truly relaxing. We had made a reservation for dinner in the Earl of Thomand dining room. Before dinner we had a drink in the bar. Our bartender Martin made us some fabulous mojitos from scratch and then we were given the wine list which was like a bible. Martin gave me tastes of pretty much all the wines by the glass as my friend is a beer drinker. I choose the fois gras parfait, wild mushroom soup, lamb loin & cutlet and the chocolate fondant. Wonderful food & fantastic service. The next morning we rowed a boat around the lake which was so much fun. The next time I return home to Ireland I will be bringing my husband as he was so jealous when I told him how great it was. I also want to mention Grace in reception who was truly so helpful to me when I was trying to organize a bank card that was supposed to arrive from the US but was so late so Grace said she would send it to my mom's house in Tipperary. Wonderful customer service. Dromoland Castle has it down as far as taking care of their customers. I will absolutely stay at Dromoland again. It is worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2011

while this castle was lovely and the grounds magnificent, i must give a negative review because the interior of the castle was like being in a bonfire...the fireplaces emit small amounts of smoke and as you walk through the public rooms you actually smell as though you were at a bonfire...the smell was in my hair, clothes, leather bags etc...we could not go into the restaurant for dinner because our eyes were tearing...we left the next day and had to have all our clothing laundered at the next hotel at considerable expense...so sad....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cheekyrn1
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We stayed at the Dromoland for a spurge our last night of an amazing trip to Ireland. It was worth it. We felt like royalty. The kids had a blast on the go-carts they had on the tennis courts and my husband and I enjoyed some quiet time having lunch and our last pint of Guinness. The grounds are gorgeous and it is very peaceful. I recommend it if you can swing it - it isn't cheap.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 1330ag
Reviewed 26 April 2011

This was our second visit to Dromoland and found that time has not necessarily been kind. Our stay got off to a shaky start which was intensified by the condescending manner in which the general manager treated us. It involved a unique combination of factors that might not be applicable to most people, but will be shared here for what it's worth.

The castle felt run down as compared to our visit years ago. While acknowledging the difficulty in maintaining such a structure, it just looked and felt tired and in need of TLC both inside and out. Further, the atmosphere was very much changed owing to the massive number of babies and children on premises. Dromoland is included on Disney Vacation itineraries to Ireland and, as a result, there are relaxed dress codes and a lot more background noise. We love children and found this change fun, but I suspect that others might find it irritating and, thus, should steer clear of visits during school holidays.

We booked two rooms. One was the "Presidential Suite" and another room for our adult daughter. My heart sank when I saw the suite, as it was unacceptably run down, dirty and poorly furnished. Our hope was to use this room to hang out, but there were only two wildly uncomfortable, filthy chairs in the sitting room. The King bed was two twins that did not join together properly, the TV was a 60's era model, the walls were chipped and stained, etc. I attach two photographs to provide a sense of it. Nevertheless, we accepted the room without complaint. Our daughter's room, on the other hand, was renovated and absolutely beautiful, other than a layer of dust that was shocking - we could write our names in it. I called downstairs and asked for both rooms to be dusted and we were very disappointed when, two hours later, her room remained untouched.

I went to the front desk and told a genial looking fellow that our room had not been properly cleaned and he said it had been. I told him that I would like him to come up and see what I was talking about and he said it was unnecessary. I asked again for someone to see the condition of the room, thinking that it would be of concern. Again, he said that he would send up housekeeping and tried to shoo me away. I insisted that someone accompany me and he hissed and stormed ahead of me to go to the room. He was walking angrily and I couldn't keep up with him. I finally asked him if he was the manager (yes, he was) and asked why he was being so rude to me, as I never raised my voice. He yelled at me in a shocking tone something along the lines of "Madam, please be quiet as I don't want the other guests to hear this." I can't remember ever being talked to in this manner by anyone, let alone the manager of a hotel where we had booked two of the most expensive suites.

When we got to the room, I learned that the problem was caused by plaster dust from a room being renovated and he had the nerve to suggest that I should have alerted the hotel that I had a dust allergy. I told him that our problem was a minor one, turned into a crisis by his totally superior attitude and nasty tone. I think he finally understood how out of line he was and called later in the afternoon to apologize and reduced the price of the rooms. It was too little, too late, and I felt self conscious and unwelcome the rest of the trip.

We moved to a much nicer suite the following day. The rest of the staff members seemed lovely and the grounds are magnificent. My suggestion: if you have a problem, do NOT start at the top to resolve it! Although I was not impressed by the castle as I had been in the past, the handling of a relatively minor problem ruined our stay.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank MickiD
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Stayed recently whilst attending a wedding in nearby Bunratty. Decided to treat ourselves and make the most of being child free for the night - absolute heaven!!
Had afternoon tea in the bar, prompt service and superb pastries in particular. Breakfast was just great - unrushed and elegant - the ideal start to the day.
We'll have to come up with another excuse to offload the kids again soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple