All reviewsirish coffeesconeswarm bedsspring flowersbunratty castleshannon airportmy home away from homeirish experienceirish folka wonderful place to staymedieval banquetfrankcraicpub
Reviewed 5 November 2011

Just completed a 14-day trip to southwest Ireland in September. Stayed at Ashgrove House at the front and back end of my tour. An absolutely lovely B&B along a country road, quiet and relaxing, about 1km from Bunratty Castle. Sheila and Frank are kind, accommodating, gracious hosts, a pleasure to meet and chat with. Always willing to help with pickup arrangements and guest needs. Wonderful breakfasts as well. It was a perfect visit and recommended highly for any travelers in this area, or for those needing a starting/ending point for their tour that is not far from Shannon Airport.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2011

No accommodations on my two week trip to Ireland could come close to Sheila and Frank's Ashgrove House. In fact, few attractions I encountered could provide the level of entertainment I experienced those two nights just interacting with and listening to this fine and very funny couple! They really went above and beyond when it came to being helpful and accommodating.

My cozy, queen-bed and twin-bed room was lovely, with a view past the blacktop of a green hillside meadow and grazing cows. Sheila was kind enough to give a lesson to this confused foreigner on how to use an Irish shower (there are two concentric dials, one for temperature and one for water volume). It was very quiet and peaceful there. Our hosts provided a great introduction to the good old Irish breakfast, with plenty of eggs, sausages and bacon (much leaner than American stuff)--enough to last you through 'til dinner with just a snack in between. With Bunratty Castle and the Folk Park (a collection of restored historical dwellings) within walking distance, there was plenty to do.

I had the added advantage there of meeting some of the other travelers who would be part of the 9-day traditional music journey I was taking with Enchanted Way Tours. Wisely, the tour leaders recommended a stay at Ashgrove to those coming early. I'm so glad I took them up on it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank traveau
Reviewed 16 August 2011

a hidden gem just down from castle great irish couple lovely breakfast home baked bread and scones cant do enough for you we will be back" the bikers"

Room Tip: all have great rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Every vacation has to start someplace and out Enchanted Way Tour of Ireland started at Ashgrove House. What a fantastic start to a wonderful tour. Sheila and Frank arranged our pickup at the Shannon Airport and the house was a marvelous treat from the moment we artrived. We were treated like family and they went out of their way to help us. One of our group neeeded to rent a wheelchair for the tour. Sheila arranged the rental and had the chair waiting when we arrived. Frank drove us to Knappogue Castle for our banquet. The accommodations were clean and comfortable, if only we could have taken Ashgrove House on the tour with us.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2011

The company of the owners, Frank and Sheila - are unsurpassed. They excel at welcoming you and making you feel like you are one of their family members. We were so happy staying with them - they even went to Durty Nelly's with us. A most memorable evening of laughter, singing and a few drinks. I can't say enough of these fine folks. If you want a true Irish experience - stay here. Frank's philosophy on world events are most interesting. We were a captive audience and the banter that goes between them is hilarious. A wonderful B & B - the best in my book !! Highly recommended to all.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends