“Never Disappointed.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Straffan
Cill Dara
“Never Disappointed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We returned to the K Club to celebrate our first anniversary and we were not disappointed with the stay. From the moment we arrived we were treated exceptionally well.
The staff were friendly, efficient and not over bearing. They know when you need something.
The hotel itself was as you would expect from the K Club, very good.
Will be returning again in 2011.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

My wife and I booked a two night package for our first anniversary which included B&B and one evening meal as well as a voucher towards a spa treatment of our choice. Our friends had kindly provided us with Prosceco and strawberries - I am not sure if they mentioned we were on honeymoon - but the room the hotel gave us was fantastic. Our evening meal was excellent and they even provided us with a lift back to the hotel as my wife was wearing heels - well it was 500 metres:-). The breakfast was a combination of continental as well as the traditional Irish - full fry, smoked fish etc. The choice was amazing. We had our spa treatment on the second day which again was a fantastic experience and the staff in the K-Spa were extremely friendly and helpful. This was also the case for the girls on reception - couldn't do enough for you. Minor Negatives:The concierge seemed somewhat aloof and appeared not to be allowed to smile. The barman maybe should have kept to himself his annoyance that the owners had introduced packages and had lowered the tone of the place by letting the likes of us into the place - he may not have known that we were on a package but I suspect this was his little dig - still at the end of the day he is still just a barman and the concierge is a baggage handler so don't let waldorf and statler bother you. Too much good stuff to let that happen for us.

Room Tip: Ask for room 31 if possible - absolutely fantastic
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

I purchased a one-night package to end our one-week trip which was spent mostly in Dublin. I knew of the K Club's reputation in the golf world (recent Ryder Club location). I travel a lot for work and am able to stay in nice resorts often (conferences, and such) and this looked like quite a good deal (one night room, a 'wet' spa treatment for 2, dinner and breakfast for 2 for 250 Euros).
The good news - the building and grounds of this resort are absolutely spectacular. It is a beautiful as the website pictures. We were upgraded to a larger room than we paid for, and, wow, what a gorgeous room. The bathroom was to die for. Think 'royal' in every way. The woman who greeted us when we arrived was charming, professional and really started things off well for us.
Now, the bad news. The package really isn't as good of a deal as I thought. A week before our stay, a staff member emailed us asking us to book our treatment time. The website listed a number of different 'wet' treatments, but it turns out that we were only eligible (under the package) for two of them (to be fair, this is noted in the description of the package, but not in very much detail). After reading the description, my teenage daughter and I picked the one which sounded okay, disappointed that we couldn't have what we really wanted. Turns out for good reason - the spa treatment was awful. The 'rasul' consisted of a very nice staff person putting you in a cold room, where you strip naked, spread mud all over yourself and then go in this other room for 20 minutes to sit on plastic (uncomfortable) chairs. During that 20 minutes, steam is pumped into the room and music is played. Then, cold water, then warm, rains from the ceiling to wash you off. That's it. I was counting the minutes until it was over. One does get access to the fitness facility, though, which I didn't use during my short stay there.

Dinner turned out to be a similar type experience. The hotel appeared to be empty (we didn't see any other guests at any other time except one young couple during dinner). Package people had to eat in the Palmer (yes, as in Arnold) Clubhouse. This is a private club, turns out, so the clubhouse dining room was filled with club members. The retaurant room consisted of three sections - the 'bar' area, which was filled with celebrating golfers, the main dining room (lovely) and then this 'in-between' section where we were put. I felt like I was eating in the hallway while all the real guests were in the real dining room. We were given this tiny (choice of 2 entries) that we had to order from. Of course, neither choice appealed to my daughter or I, but fortunately we could order off the main menu and get 30 Euros off of our order. And, you guessed it, all entry options were over 30 euros except for one. The service was awful - I mean really, really awful. They got most of our order wrong, and I had to hunt down our waiter for every little thing (could we have our drinks, please? our correct food? our check?). He was busy attending to the members, certainly not us. I felt sorry for the young couple also in the same situation as us - I hope they weren't on their honeymoon!

So, I think the K Club missing the mark on this package. While certainly this is a very, very special place which delivers in many ways, the package deal serves to alienate people instead of brining in people who otherwise wouldn't have chosen it due to the price. I chose the package because of the convenience more than anything else, and I was left feeling kind of lied to. I felt like a second-class citizen, and no guest should be made to feel that way.

Will I go back? Probably, someday, at least to be able to play golf (the courses were amazing!). But I will go 'a la carte,' and avoid any package. It really isn't as good as a deal as it sounds.

Room Tip: The view of the back of the htoel is spectacular
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

As I’ve said in a previous review Hubby & I are planning a series of short breaks in Ireland this year instead of leaving the Country. Years ago we’d enjoyed a stay in the K Club so since we were in the area recently we decided to make a detour to check it out for a possible treat later in the year.
The grounds and the house are still stunning and sitting on the terrace on a sunny March day was idyllic.
On arrival we were greeted by at least three very friendly and professional staff. We were happy with the snack menu and gave our order to a very pleasant young girl. On asking for ice with my drink I was told that because the bar was closed she did not have access to the ice machine. This was at 1pm on a Thursday!
As we waited for our food we were again greeted by two more senior staff – all very professional. When Hubby’s soup arrived it was so thick it was more akin to a puree. Once we got the attention of our server she removed it immediately and replaced it with a pot of tea as requested.
We paid our bill and as we left there was no sign of any of the ever so friendly staff we had encountered earlier. The soup issue didn’t bother us but we left with a little bit of a feeling that nobody really cared whether we were happy or not.
Genuine hospitality – I’m not so sure!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ms0000
Killarney, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

I stayed in the K Club earleir this month, and I was most impressed. We had a wonderful room (72) with a view. The front of house staff were great and I just loved the atmosphere and the warmth of the place. We were on the Romantic Break package and the house Bordeaux and choclates in our room were most palatable. The food was a tad below expectations though, I will certainly return but maybe dine elsewhere! A tip for the ladies, the hotel is close to the Kildare Shopping Village, when I mentioned to the Receptionist that I was going there she gave me a 10% discount card which helped!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Straffan
10.1 km away
19.8 km away
The Keadeen Hotel
The Keadeen Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newbridge

Been to The K Club? Share your experiences!