“Amazing staff, amazing food. ”

The Fatted Calf Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 122 Restaurants in Athlone
Price range: USD 23 - USD 40
Cuisines: Irish, International, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At The Fatted Calf Restaurant, our mission is to source and forage the best of local, Irish artisan produce, which we cook and serve on seasonal menus to our customers. All of our wines come from small, family producers from Wines Direct, Liberty Wines and Tindal Wines, our grass fed dry aged beef is supplied by John Stone Fine Foods.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited this restaurant with my mum and our friend. This is my third/fourth time in this restaurant and the girls first time. I can’t compliment this restaurant enough. We all got steaks and unfortunately one of the steaks was underdone (which happens). The staff and chefs could not do enough to apologise. I would highly highly recommend this restaurant solely for the staff. However, the food is always consistent, it has and was amazing. Loved every minute of it. Recommend this restaurant HIGHLY!!! Go visit!!!!! :)

Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

The resteraunt was recommended by a friend & we were really not disappointed. The resteraunt itself is modern & beautifully decorated. Our servers were friendly & attentive.
Both me & my husband can honestly say it was probably the best main course we ever had. Fillet steak cooked perfectly, mixture of roasted vegetables & butter scallion mash. Everything on the plate just had the most beautiful flavour. Orange chocolate fondant with chocolate ice cream & a huge chunk of honeycomb on the side for dessert, all absolutely gorgeous.
If I had to pick at something it would be the starter selection. Nothing on this section of the menu jumped out at either of us to order. However, this is just personal taste.
We will definitely be returning to The Fatted Calf on our next trip to Athlone. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

We had a lovely family lunch here with lots of great restaurant food options for us and our 6 year old. We had a delicious burger, crispy chili beef stir fry and a very well presented roasted beetroot dish as our dishes. Service was extremely friendly and professional with a great location near the shopping centre in Athlone. Book to avoid disappointment.

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

Visited here while staying in athlone over the bank holiday weekend. Two couples plus our 19 month old. She was fairly accommodating which allowed us to really enjoy our meal. Everything was fantastic. Crab starter and lamb rump for main was delicious and cooked perfectly. Good Portuguese wine too, and reasonably priced.
Highly recommend

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

A party of three, we enjoyed a superb lunch here recently. Quirky, modern interior, lovely atmosphere, friendly and efficient service with plenty of space between the tables. The food is outstanding with a nod to fresh and local/Irish ingredients. I ate Kilmore Quay crab for starters combined with grapefruit and orange...it was amazing. For my main I had the cod tempura with fresh vegetables and baby potatoes. Loved it and their own home made tartar sauce with capers was delicious. We had no desserts as we were full! Not cheap but you get what you pay for. Definitely hope to return and highly recommend this establishment.