“Very very disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Leitrim Marina Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Leitrim Marina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Leitrim
Sligo, Ireland
“Very very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I booked this stay in a nice quite country hotel so my girlfriend and I could have a quiet few nights and celebrate my birthday and new years eve together. At €198 for 2 nights stay without breakfast I thought it was expensive enough to have a touch of quailty about it. I had also read the reviews on here and noticed only one bad one. That was the one that I should have taken heed of.

On arrival at the hotel we entered the lobby and I commented that there was a strong smell of Kerosene in the air. I'm a mechanic by trade so that is a smell I know but it put my girlfriend right off. We had a friendly check in and went up to the room. The corridors were very cold despite it being 7deg outside which is virtually balmy for December. The room in fairness was very warm but the bathroom was freezin as none of the heat from the room could get in there as the door was spring loaded to close and there was not heat source in there.

The bed was large and looked very inviting. That was until we came back from out meal and got into it. It was made up of 2 separate mattresses and had a big uncomfortable ridge down the centre

The sink in the bathroom was loose in its cabinet and the cantilever shower door was nearly siezed solid. It also was not long enough and let the water from the shower head out on to the floor. I did not notice this 'til after I had showered.

The next day we went off for a road trip and when we came back we noticed a newly married couple pull up and enter the hotel. We gave them a few minutes for the wedding party (about 8 people in all) to settle in and went to out room. About 9 the music started, it must have been the after party for the wedding. It was very loud as it was directly below us. So load we had to turn up the telly to hear the movie we were watching. At 12:45 I finally had enough and got dressed and went to reception and from there to the residents bar. The man I got talking to apologised and said the music would be off by 1 and true to his word it was, we could even hear the groans of the crowd as they were told the party was finishing.

When I raised the noise issue with the lady on checking out she blamed it on it been New Years and said any hotel would be noisy. I disagreed. She took my number and told me a member of management would call me that day. That was the 1st of January.

Today, the 4th of January I rang at 10am and the lady said she had passed on the message but would do so again. I received no call.

All in all, a very poor (yet expensive) experience and one I would not be likely to chance again

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank slidey
Leitrim M, Owner at Leitrim Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
The marina hotel closed for business the weekend this guest stayed. A wedding did take place in the hotel and as it was New Years Eve, the hotel was noisier than usual and the accommodation rates probably reflected the time of year. We are pleased to announce that the hotel is re-opening in April 2014 with a brand new management team and new facilities. We will be specialising in relating couple and family breaks and will work hard to regain our spot as the number one rated hotel in Leitrim.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Westport, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

Lovely relaxing weekend in the Leitrim marina.
My girlfriend suggested we need a weekend away and booked us into the Leitrim marina.
From our arrival we were made feel very welcome and at home.
Our room was very clean,spacious,comfortable and nicely decorated.
We decided to have a nice cocktail at the bar to start the evening,
followed by a lovely 3 course meal.
We both started with mussels,good portion,fresh and tasty with a glass of house wine each.
(sauvignon blanc very good)
My girlfriend had the lamb and said it was very tender.
I then had the steak which was very tasty and cooked to perfection
Had a lovely bottle of Rioja with the mains.
Excellent wine list,keenly priced and good choices.
All in all very good value for the meal we had.
Had a few drinks at the bar,good atmosphere and mix of locals and passers by.
Retired to have a long comfy sleep.
We were lucky to wake up to a gorgeous day.
The hotel has a gorgeous private terrace on the river in front of the marina.
Good spot for breakfast and lunch.
Toured around Leitrim for the day and returned for dinner at 8.00.
Staff took great care of us again and we had another excellent meal.
Left the following day around lunch.
I would highly recommend the Leitrim marina for anyone who wants good hospitality,
Friendly staff and very comfortable accomodation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colinhh
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

Stayed in the Leitrim Marina about 2weeks ago and have been meaning to write a review since. It is certainly one of the worst hotels I’ve stayed in in Ireland and possibly one of the worst ever!..We booked into a double bedroom, and instead of a double bed there was literally two single beds pushed together!.
The smell in the en-suite was so bad my girlfriend and I were forced to use the toilet in the bar anytime we needed to.
Foolishly we decided to eat here as well, we both ordered the steak, and neither of us could finish it, not even half finish it. It was fatty and greasy and just all round disgusting, the potatoes and veg were also cold and over-salty.
I’m not sure weather or not there was meant to be Wi-Fi in the rooms but I wasn’t able to pick it up if there was.
All in all a terrible hotel, and ruined our attempt at a relaxing night away.
Only up; was the staff were nice and friendly.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank scanpatton
Reception101, Manager at Leitrim Marina Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
We would like to respond in that we are investigating if this review is in fact genuine. As a 10 bedroom hotel we pride ourselves in meeting all our guests. We received no such complaints from any guests staying in October and we do encourage guests to raise any concerns with us. Additionally the reviewer only registered on the day of the reivew, has no history in recording other hotels and does not list any information in his profile. We have also requested the reviewer to provide information on the date of his stay and the room number to assist us.

This review is completely at odds with all of our previous reviews which rate the hotel as number 1 on Tripadvisor. We were proud to recently win the Leitrim Observer 'Best Hotel in Leitrim Award 2010' for our customer service.

There are number of points in the review which are factually incorrect and point to a bogus review. The beds in the hotel provide a very comfortable stay with guests often commending them, we are consistantly commended for the quality of our food, particularly the house favorite striplion steak. While it is of course possible that a particular meal was not up to standard, we do not add salt to the potato or veg. We also do not charge for uneaten meals and will offer a replacement if guests are not satisfied. While WiFi is available throughout the hotel, free of charge, we do not advertise or offer WiFi in the bedrooms, view our website www.leitrimmarinahotel.com to confirm this.

In the interest of natural justice, should the first point of complaint for issues such as this to be raised at reception, particularly if the visit was as bad as this review. We are not saying we get everything 100% all the time, nobody is that perfect, but we strive to be the best we possibly can be and give an excellent overall expierence to the majority of our guests. Read the other reviews and decide yourself.
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2010

last minute break for me and my friend, from the minute we arrived the service, staff, food and cocktails were fantastic. Manager Robbie was so professional and helpful and nothing was too much for him to do. Food had finished when we arrived but in a flash Robbie had organised dinner for us. I have eaten in a lot of topclass Restaurants and this has to be the best food I have ever had. Chef has to be one of the best. You just have to visit and try it out. Cocktails were fantastic and great value. Our room was spacious and spotlessely clean, the night was extremely cold but the room was so cosy. It is evident that this is a well run family hotel from the warmth we felt throughout our stay. Couldnt fault it in any way and would highly recommend this little gem.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank dancerDublin
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

stayed in the hotel for 3 days with my patner had a lovely stay everything excellant,food, staff,room with the veiw great

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank bully35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leitrim
5.4 km away
2.5 km away
Leitrim Inn Lodge
Leitrim Inn Lodge
#17 of 22 in Carrick-on-Shannon

Been to Leitrim Marina Hotel? Share your experiences!